Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

FAO anyone who goes to waterbabies

Hello. I was wondering if I could pick your brains please? I'm starting a course mid May, and was wondering how on earth you manage to get both yourself and LO dry afterwards? Sounds simple, but Riley is all over the place rolling, commando crawling etc, and hates being on his back on a change mat. It's a real struggle to change a nappy at home, let alone on a slippery surface whilst trying to get dressed as well, lol. They also say not to bring a pushchair, and that was my only plan really, to get him sorted, put him in his pushchair and sort me. How do you get on if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks. xxx :\)

Replies

• No pram..that's a pain.
    Have you been to the changing rooms? In mine (admittedly it is a private club, but they must surely cater for this everywhere if they have baby lessons) they have changing tables, (which is curved so they find it hard to roll, it's actually really good, they should all be like that) and a few play pens too, so once they are ready you can put them in there and sort yourself out.

• Oh thanks for your reply, I didn't think of that, maybe i'll give the place a call. It's at a hotel, so maybe they will have a playpen too. xxx
  • Hi hun, I swim with Flippers, not Waterbabies but I'm guessing the changing will be similar!! We've been going for nearly 3 years now, since Millie was 6 weeks old so I've got getting ready down to a fine art. Barney has a hooded poncho type towel so when we come out the pool I take his wetsuit and happy nappy off and just leave his disposable swim nappy on under his towel. I then put him down on the floor while I get dressed as quickly as possible, then I dress him. The towel means he doesn't get cold and it's much easier that way than doing him first and then trying to keep him dry while I get dressed. I have also in the past with Millie resorted to giving her a snack, a biscuit or some rasians to get her to sit still while I got dressed.
    xx
  • Hiya, we go to Waterbabies in a private school, so no proper changing facilities aimed at babies. What i tend to do is before i go i put his swim nappy on, and my cozzy underneath my clothes (and pray i don't need a wee!!) then i just strip down quickly once there, strip him off and put his outer shell nappy on, and dress him in a dressing gown whilst we're waiting to go in. Afterwards (as we're also not allowed prams/carseats) i wrap him in a towel straight away. In the changing room i lay him on the mat next to the bench so he can't go one way, then stand next to him on the other side so he can't escape that way (hope that makes sense...). Most ladies in my class get their lo's dressed then do themselves, but my lo loves to be naked and dressing him quite frankly p*sses him off :lol: so i cover him in towels, dressing gown, anything to keep him warm, get myself dressed (i only ever wear joggers and a vest top - v quick!) then i dress him and whip him out of there! A lot of the ladies there always have their partners with them and their partners dress the babies out in the corridoors whilst they dress themselves, but as my hubby works weekends, it's only ever me on my own, and it gets easier each time i go! xxx
  • hi, lots of the waterbabies classes are in schools so like jam donut said no proper changing room. In a hotel you may be luckier...i would go with what jamdonut said already having costume on etc could you take a toy for him to play with whilst you get changed? If not make friends with another mum and see if she can keep an eye on him whilst you get ready then return the favour with her lo. Most of the classes are kept quite small too. Have fun don't get too stressed about it (i did too lol)
  • well im gonna be really honest we just about to finesh our last term before we start toddlers class and i have never been able to go on my own . my oh comes too i get daisy dressed then pass her to him.while i get dressed and the other mums and dads do the same. my oh loves to see her swim qnyway or my mum comes to help so much easier x good luck you will love it x
  • When I was nannying we used to attend waterbabies at a hotel-very small changing rooms and no baby facilities. Like the others so you do find a way! Most of us dryed the babies by the side of the pool-this area was pretty large and then quickly dressed them. While small enough i used to take LO in her car seat and then pop her in that while I got dressed. As she got bigger she lay on a towel and i learnt to get dressed VERY quickly!

I used to put my swim suit on before i went so I could just strip off quickly also best to wear things that are easy to get on/off!

You'll love it-baby swimming is great and I can't wait to go again with my own LO come the end of the year.
  • Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll definately be wearing trackies then, lol! I was actually wondering if partners are allowed to watch, so some of you have answered my question on that too. Hubby does work shifts, but i'm sure when he's off he'd love to come along to watch Riley, so that sort of helps with those days. For the other days i'll take your advice and try to get dressed quickly first. Am really nervous but excited about it all, can't imagine him going under water. Jamdonut, my LO hates getting dressed too, mainly sleeves! xxx
  • Hey hon i got to waterbabies, most of my group take in their car seats, everybody gets their baby dressed first, put in the carseat and then gets dressed, by which time you are dry anyway! Some weeks my DH does the swimming, i watch and then get her dressed so he can have a shower and stuff, dont worry hon you will easily figure something out, and if like my pool there are no baby changing facilities just take a change mat in with you and put your LO on that xx