Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Won't drink juice! - help!

Hi girls, hope you and your little ones are well. I saw a question on juice,but mine is slightly different. Grace is now 5 months and i've been trying juice every day for about a month but she won't drink it. Its the baby jice and i really dilute it with cooled boiled water. Any tips on how to get it in her lol? She has four 8oz bottles and some solids during day so i'm worried she isn't drinking enough. Can she have our normal juice we drink? or fruit juice at all?? help please!! xx

Replies

• Options
    I had the same problem with my son. I tried water (like is recommended) but he wasn't having any of it and I was beginning to worry! I now have a cupboard FULL of all the baby juices out there in the supermarkets, with about 2-3oz from each one gone where I had tried it on my son who decided that there was NO WAY he was going to have it!!! I eventually found a pear juice from Heinz that he loves. Its sweet and the only thing he will have. I don't dilute it because it says that you don't have to and he now has 4-5oz twice a day inbetween feeds.
    If you're still struggling, like I was, I resorted to giving him fruit that has a high-water content - like melon and pear. I used to sit with him and let him suck on a piece for ages. Its not the same, but at least its some liquid going down!!
    Hope that this helps
    Michelle x x
  • Options
    Hi there

my little boy is nearly 7 months and he only has water, i've never offered him juice becasue of the sugars!! I did a parenting group thingy where we learnt all about weaning and all the juices are terrible for sugar, the worst was heinz organic, it had a whole cup full of sugar in one bottle!! so why don't you just offer water.

When they are old enough to ask for juice then so be it but i'd rather keep my little on on milk and water for now to save his teeth.

My dentist also told me NEVER to offer juice from a bottle cause it starts to damage their teeth even before they are thru.

I don't mean to be opinionated or nosy but i'd rather my boy has healthy teeth in later life. My mum gave me all the sugary drinks I wanted as a kid and i'm paying for it now :\(
  • Options
    Only offering water is all nice and good, but if your lo is screaming like you are trying to pour battery acid into their mouth when you try to give them water and then become utterly hysterical for about an hour after you had the audacity of offering them water, you would probably try to give them watered down juice. If that in anyones' opinon makes me a bad mummy, so be it, I rather not reduce my daughter to hysterical screaming fits by putting even a little water in her mouth.
  • Options
    My LO, 9 months, will drink water but much prefers extremely diluted smoothie. I buy the Innocent smoothie in Strawberry & Banana and pour up to the tiny marker on the Tommee Tippee beaker and then top up with water. My estimate is about 1:20 dilution but I'm not sure.

What are you offering the water/juice in? The Avent Magic Cup is very good for LO's just learning how to use a beaker.

Hope you find a solution soon
  • Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I'm giving the juice in a starter beaker thats for from 4 months. She can handle it ok. I think i'll try just water but also the innocent smoothie and pear juice. Thanks girls xxx.
  • Options
    i think hipp do small jars (like first food jars) sizes of juices, so you could maybe buy a couple of them to see what your lo likes? that way youve not got a big jar going to waste if they dont like it.

I was told juice at meal times is ok, but ollie has it throughout the day alternating with water...... i wouldnt worry.

xxxx

xxx
  • Options
    Hi I give Kara cow and gate diluted juices and I also give her water. I found that she wouldn't drink these from a bottle or even a beaker so I tried to give her this from a spoon and she took it. I done this for a few days then I decided to give it to her in a plastic cup so she could drink it herself. She drinks this no problem and drinks both the juice and the water. She loves it this way. It does go down her chin a bit but it is worth it if she drinks something.
  • Options
    i have the same problem
    my lo wont drink water or juice! he wont take it from his bottle or cup. i do worry hes not getting enough but no idea what to do. ive been trying for a few months now. will just have to wait until he wants it i suppose!
  • Options
    My older son is only starting to drink water now at nearly 3, when he was little he just had milk and i didn't worry to much about anything else until he was one. He started having jusice and squash when he was a bit older and wouldn't touch water (or even milk that much) At 5 months I thought milk should be adaquate for babies?
    I wouldn't worry too much so long as shes having fluids in the form of milk.
  • Options
    My 6 1/2 month daughter won't drink juice or water either. I've tried different cups, offering it at different times, drinking from cups myself so she can mimic, but she refuses. And if a drop does make it into her mouth the face she pulls is really quite comical. I don;t like to force it down her at this stage so all I keep doing is just keep offering her it, in the hope that one day she'll drink happily from it. At the moment I'm not too concerned as she has 3 x 7oz bottles milk a day I'm hoping there's enough water in her food - particularly the fruit purees I make for her.
  • Options
    hi, boots do bottles of flavoured water(from 4 months i think). i also used the heinz ready diluted-but diluted it even more. have you tried diluting with warm water as some babies just hate cold drinks? hop you're successful x x
  • Options
    I couldn't get my little one to drink any juice or water at all. She hates her beaker with a passion and the two combined leads to an unhappy 6 month old. I have recently introduced a beaker but because of the different top just putting it in her mouth is a challenge. I am going to try and allow her to just play with the empty beaker in the hope that she may play and put it in her mouth automatically. I have also tried getting half a tin of peaches and blending them with 11oz of cooled boiled water. This seems to have worked for her, but just from a bottle atm. Maybe trying this would be a good idea for you mums. And I'm sure its a bit better than the ready made drinks. For another alternative you could try fresh fruits or different tinned fruits like pears? Do you think this is a good idea? Advise please