Forum home Babies Baby

Rash on LO's face - related to weaning??

Hi all

Toby (7 months) has had a sort of blotchy rash on his face for about a week now. It came up at the same time as he came down with a horrid cold. I took him to the GP who said he thought it was probably just a viral rash associated with the cold and should settle in 2 or 3 days. It's now been a week and it's still there, and I think getting slightly worse.

I'm not worried about it being anything sinister as the GP didn't seem at all worried (plus the blotches aren't raised and pass the glass test) but now I'm wondering if it could be related to food - not as in an allergy but just actual food on his face!!

When Toby eats he tends to get food pretty much all over his face, as they do, and depending on how long it takes him to finish a meal (we are BLW) it can be up to half an hour before I clean his face. Do you think the food on his skin could actually be causing this blotchiness? The stuff he gets on his face the most is sweet potato, cream cheese, hummus and marmite and other creamy/mushy stuff like that. He's only been on food seriously for a couple of weeks.

I really struggle to get his face clean after eating - he HATES me wiping his face and really resists it by arching away from me and batting my hands away (he's freakishly strong!). I am just using a soft flannel with warm water as I figure anything else could only irritate his skin more but does anyone use anything else for sensitive skin?

Sorry for the long post!! Thanks for any replies.

C image

Replies

• My son gets the same thing at times and I think it's from the food on his face. Usually around his chin area. It's best not to wipe them til the end anyway to avoid them becoming ocd! Plus it's annoying to them - my son is the same as Im sure many are!
    Ive just been applying some Lucas Paw Paw ointment - an aussie product which is brilliant for so many things (rashes, bites, nappy rash) and it is fast acting too. You can get it in the uk:

http://www.pawpawshop.co.uk/shopping.htm

I think the dribbling may also irritate it once it's there. Just a hunch.

Also just to be sure it's not a particular food try taking some things away and reintroducing them. I found recently that my son was getting spots and after experimenting I realised it was the blueberries - shame cos he was really enjoying them!! A lot of berries can cause a reaction, kiwi fruit too.

• We have this too! Its worse under Dylans nose as he's been rubbing his top lip due to blasted teeth and so if it is food more ends up under there! It doesn't really bother him it just looks like he has spots to me!

xxx
  • Thanks girls - the pharmacist recommended a cream to put on before and after feeding as a sort of barrier cream which is safe if they manage to ingest some - it's called "fatty cream" which made me laugh!

C image
  • My son must have made his own way to the pharmacy and bought some of that "fatty cream" cos he is a right porker since starting solids :lol: Better tell him to put it on his face, not in his mouth!!

I might use that tip with the paw paw ointment cos it is a bit sticky and could be used as a barrier too. Thanks for that!
  • charlotte is it a bit like vaseline?

xxx
  • No, it's more like aqueous cream but a bit thicker and doesn't absorb quite as quickly (so as to provide a barrier). The brand I got was "healthE" but I'm in NZ atm so don't know if it would be the same in the UK.

Actually I'll just check the ingredients for you...

It's described as "emollient cream for dry skin" and on the back it says:

"healthE Fatty Cream is recommended for dry skin conditions such as eczema and dermatitis. Ingredients: white soft paraffin, cetostearyl alcohol, liquid paraffin, cetomacrogol emulsifying wax, sodium citrate anhydrous, citric acid anhydrous, methyl parahydroxybenzoate, deionised water".

I freaked out a bit when I read the ingredients but both a nurse and the pharmacist assured it it is perfectly safe for babies and can be used up to 10 times a day. Their skin may go quite red in the half hour immediately after applying but that's normal.

I giggle every time I put it on Toby though (who, let's face it, is not exactly slender) - fatty cream for my little fatty!!

I've only been using it for a day so will let you know how it goes.

C image