Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Gina Ford

Hi there

I wanted to see if anyone had had any success with Gina Ford or getting any kind of routine established in the early days?

Thanks,

Natx

Replies

• Post withdrawn by MFM HQ at poster’s request

• thanks for this, it helps to know what others find useful and I agree - you can't do everything the books tell you, some of it has to come from baby, well done!
  • I totally agree with Lytchick, i let Eden feed on demand and she has grown into a perfect little chubby 7 month old! I followed my own routine from about 3 months and except when she is ill she normally goes down about 7ish wityhout me following someone elses rules! You'll know what is right for your baby!
  • oh don't get me started on baby manual books! lol :\) anyone who gives you planned routine to get a baby to follow is not worth the paper they're written on imo!! Babies do what they want and if you try to push a newborn baby into a routine all you'll end up with is an upset baby & mummy!!! Mums do ALOT better with a bit common sense, a bit of logical thinking and to trust themselves 150%!! :\) Books can be a little helpful for mums that have never been around babies before and don't have help from family etc but they must never be followed to the letter... that just makes an unhappy disapointed mummy because she got it wrong. Routines only really start developing from 8 weeks old, don't worry about a routines before then... the best routine I know is the 3 B's.... bath, bottle/breast & bed. This be started from newborn bt baby will only fit to it when they want to... but it's best to keep doing until one day they'll go off to sleep no problem :\) (hopefully! lol )

[Modified by: wenders on April 18, 2007 09:37 PM]

[Modified by: wenders on April 18, 2007 09:38 PM]
  • Well done wenders - I'm with you our routine consists of doing what we want when we want to and the three b's, but only just started that now ds is 6 weeks and I feel human again image
  • Spot on Wenders! My lo came nowhere close to fitting in a routine to begin with - I was desperate, she had bad colic and wouldn't sleep in her crib. I too beat myself over the head for being a poor mother then one day it just happened - the perseverance with bath, breast/bottle and bed paid off - it was magic!! basically no baby will slot into a routine until they are ready - good luck hun. Sarah xxx
  • hi natjt, i bought gina ford clb yest... as my baby wont sleep day or night...he now doesnt like his moses basket either....
    ive stated reading the first few chapters and it basically contradicts wot the midwifes have advised me.....
    will keep reading though incase i can pick up any useful tips....
    in the meantime will try bath/breast/bed like the other mummies...anything to try n make baby happy....
    im knackered..........
    good luck...
    swxx
  • According to the midwife i spoke to yesterday Gina Ford has no qualifiacations for any of the stuff she writes about, she is a nanny for the rich & famous, she's only just become a mum herself, i wonder if she sticks to her own advice?? let your lo settle into their own routine and you will learn to go along with it, unfortunatley sleepless nights are part and parcel of having a newborn, just take your cue from your baby and don't stress about routines til babs is older. Em xx
  • tallulahlola, gina ford doesn't have any children of for own... I've never took the advise from hv/midwivies that havve no children the same way that I'd take it from someone who's been in the same boat! :\) the controlled crying methods should only be used on babies from about 22-26 weeks old.. babies will fall into the 3B's routine eventually you just need to be consistant for it to work. xxxx
  • I totally agree and had started a previous discussion a few months ago, and had alot of negative feedback from other Mums, so nice to read that you are on the same wavelength as me!
    My daughter is now 6 months old and I have always follwed her routine and I have to say (boastful Mum!) that she is a much happier and healthier baby than the ones I have come across at my classes, who have followed various strict routines. The Mums who follow these routines seem to be so stressed out and also congratulate themselves that they do tasks at certain times! My daughter and I haven't had a routine - but saying all that things will be changing as I have to go back to work in two weeks.

I am only going back for 2 1/2 days a week, but I am dreading it and worry that DD is now going to have to get into a routine for three mornings a week!

You can't win !!!! image
  • I don't know any health visitors that like the book, as they think that she has a miltary approach. I started stressing about getting up and finishing feeds as per the times the book stated, instead of listening to my baby girl. So I stopped clock watching and that was better, its didn't matter if she was an hour early or late. The one think I did take on board which most people are shocked at, is I would wake my baby when she was sleeping for longer than 4hours, I do think if you can get your baby to eat more in the day than they will want less at night. Every baby is different and they let you know what they want!image
  • its gettin me stressed about keeping to routine just reading the book.....
    hee hee...g
    gonna still finish reading though fer any tips...
    ive got another book of a friend by rachel waddilove gonna see wot she suggests next will let u all no wot she suggests too,,,,
    swxx
  • Hi all, I'm going to go against the grain here and hope I don't upset anyone but I did find the book/routine idea really useful. I was VERY inexperienced with babies and was very under confident. A friend (very laid back who is a nurse with 2 children) recomended the book and initially my husband and I laughed at the 20 minutes on, off, left boob, right boob etc and thought it was all a bit silly but at 5 weeks old my little one always seemed to be on the breast and I was exhausted, which I know goes with the territory but I really wasn't sure what to do. I re read the book and used SOME of the routine ideas, it worked for me and little one. I breast fed for 7 months pretty exclusively, I'd been at the point of giving up. My little boy is a great sleeper and he's now nearly 4. It worked for us BUT I did try to do the same with number 2 but it just didn't work!!! I gave up breast feeding at 8 weeks and number 2 had to fit in with a different type of routine and he is also fine, if not such a good sleeper. I think I tried too early with routines etc. I'm now expecting number 3 in September and now feel confident enough to just go with the flow BUT I do think some routine is good and will try to get little one into some type of routine at some stage. I think Wenders is right, believe in yourself, you know what's right for your little one and you, but occasionally someone like me needs some guidance. My HV with my first was newly qualified and had even less of a clue than me, my HV now is a grandma and very much "you do what's right for you and little ones.'' She gave me the confidence to believe in myself. Some of us like me just sometimes need a little advice. Sorry for the ramble. xxx Tracy
  • I have to say I kind of agree with everyone! To me, babies do seem to thrive on routine but I think that you need to find your own routine like Trazi says. My little girl doesn't sleep much during the day but sleeps for 12 hours most nights, this is different from Gina Fords routine but works for us. I think some elements of a routine, like the bedtime routine can work from birth, we started this about 4 weeks, but you need to be flexible and go with the flow. I do think that young babies should always be fed on demand, how would you like it if you were starving and had to wait until the 'right' time to be fed? At the end of the day as long as you and your baby are happy it doesn't really matter whether you follow a routine or not.