Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

8 month check up?

what happends at the 8 month check up? and do i have to book it or will there send a letter out? its just millie is 8 month next week and i havent heard any thing, thanks ladies ximage

Replies

• I dont know if its the same in all areas but in our area they have done away with it completely. It might be worth phoning your hv to see if they still do them

Hilary x
  • Hi

I think that they do the checks anywhere between 7 and 10 months. You get a letter with your appointment through the post. The babies have their weight and height checked. That they can use their pincer movement on their fingers, that they are following objects with their eyes, that they are putting their feet flat on the ground when stood up and their head measured. They ask have you noticed any probs with hearing and if they are babbling and crawling yet. Cant remember anything else. Reece had his early, at 7 months but all his friends were 10 months, and the hv said his head was too small - it was below the line on the graph - and he wouldnt do the pincer thing with his left hand. I know I have a small head as hats come down to my eyes but was really worried. We went back four weeks later as requested and she had marked him 4 weeks older on the graph and it was spot on when she marked the graph correctly. Phew! Jo x
  • My son is 8 months and I haven't heard anything about a check up.
  • hi. in my area i have to make the appt and doc checks babies hips, heart, testes if a boy, lungs etc. might ask a few questions about babies health and if you have any concerns. thats it really.hope this helps.xxxx
  • in our ares the check is done between 7-9 months & hv will contact you. we are going 6th feb & sonny will be 9 months.
  • Yeah i think its called the 6-9month check up now, joshua had his when he was 7 months, he's now 8 months and hv said there are no more compulsory checks to go to i can go to the clinic whenever i want joshua to be weighed or if i have any questions x
  • thank you for your replys im gonna ring hv tomor and see wat she says, thanks again x
  • i have just had my appointment through the post for my littlen and he is just over 8 months! i was told at 6 months that he would have a check up at 8 months old, similar to there first check up, i think that was at about 8 weeks, height, weight, sight, hearing, pincer grip and general development! i live in North Wales and i have to say that the baby clinics are brilliant here. we have groups put in place to encourange babies development from a very early age and i must saythat are fantastic and you always know what to expect at each developmental stage and also not to worry if your child isnt as advanced as another. REMEMBER MUMMY'S, ALL CHILDREN ARE DIFFERENT, THE ONLY SIMILARITY IS, THEY ARE ALL SPECIAL XXX