Forum home Babies Baby
Has your child just gone back to school or nursery? Tell us about it here on this thread.

Worrying about biting

Hi all, my lo is starting to bite me when ever I cuddle her. I don't think she means to hurt in fact it feels to me like she is trying to show affection, like a kiss. How should I handle it? She is 9 months and will be attending nursery soon so I don't want her to do it to other babies.
Thanks
Lisa. x

Replies

• Our boy did this - I think mainly because he liked the feel of biting fabric and because to him kisses are open-mouthed and extravagant!! I didn't want to make a big thing of it because he wouldn't understand that he was hurting me but obviously wanted to stop it. So whenever he bit my clothes OR me I would immediately stop the cuddle (ie put him on the floor) and say 'no biting'. Eventually he worked out that if he bit the lovely cuddles stopped. It takes a while but they work it out. Chatting to my friends at the time it seemed lots of their kids had done it too. Hope this helps.
  • Thanks that's great advice, I'll try it as from now!
  • Having bruises on your shoulder from your own baby's teeth is pretty disheartening isn't it?!!! Really hope you see a change soon!!