Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Hypenated Baby Names

2»

Replies

• Options
    I'm completely the opposite! I have oliver and jacob who get called ollie and jake! Ollie is sometimes called oliver (especially when he's naughty!) But i'm not actually too keen on jacob it was just for my ex's sake (we were together at the time!) I always shorten peoples names too! I've never been asked not to though and now i'm wondering if i've been annoying people my whole life but they never wanted to tell me! lol
  • Options
    well, my lo is called sam, we chose sam before samuel and dont really call him samuel, except when hes naughty lol
    i quite like hypenated baby names, i like creative names too
    there are so many lovely names on here xx
  • Options
    My mil hates shortened names, she heard me call my oh Andy once and there was hate in her eyes :lol: Now I always call him Andrew even though I never used to like it, it's grown on me!
  • Options
    This really annoys me when people call my little boy 'Joe'!! His name is Joseph!!!! If anyone calls him Joe I always add a'SEPH' on the end and they look at me all weird and I tell them Joseph... thats his name!!

Hubby calls him Joey to wind me up!! Which is even worse! He will be known as Joseph for as long as I have control over it!:lol: When he is old enought to choose himself then he can do that. Oddly enough I chose the name because it had a few options.... My name is Helen and I never liked the fact that it couldnt be shortend!

I would never dream of shorting a name if I had been introduced to them with their full name!
  • Options
    Hi all,
    There's some cool names on here!! Lily-Summer is pretty.
    Rhianna can't easily be shortened, but we weren't bothered tbh. I call her Rhi Rhi, or Rhia, or Wee Wee - which oh hates. But mainly if there's a change of name it's to Diddy Baba, or Diddy B, cos she's small image Bless....

Helen&Joseph - your post made me laugh!! My grandad was called Joseph and hated being called Joey with a passion, I had to go into the old folks day centre once to tell off one of the staff who would not get the message that he didn't like it...he was 83 at the time!!!!

Sarah and Diddy B xxximage
  • Options
    My DS is Joseph but it gets shortened to Joe or Joe Joe (all his little friends call him that and it's so cute!) and it really doesn't bother me. OH's dad was Joe and he died when OH was 2 so Joseph's named after him but I wanted Joseph on the birth cert (clear as mud, sorry had vino, it's my bday!!) My family tend to go with Joseph whereas OH's family use Joe. Either's cool.
    DD is Evie and that gets changed to Eves. My parents picked Zoe cos they didn't want it to be shortened but I inevitably get Zo (not keen but hey, I take it as a term of affection!)

Xx
  • Options
    I have a Lily-Mae, I just loved the sound of it together as one name, but everyone calls her Lily most of the time. Even I do so I can't complain. At least when she's older she can choose what to be called. I've never really been called by a shortened name so wanted her to have some options.

My second baby is Evie Rose. We were going to hyphenate it but I didn't see the point as everyone would just call her Evie anyway.

My oh will always be Rob to me, I've never thought of him as anything else, so was really shocked the first time I met his parents and they called him Robert! They also call his brother Christopher, even though he likes to be known as Chris.

xxx
  • Options
    My son is James, but gets called J, Jamesy or bubalooo - mainly from me - only while I can get away with it before mum your soooo embarressing (sp). My brother is James but is know as JJ (James Junior), and my late grandfather was James but know as Jim.

My mum is know as Chrissie. But growing up my grandfather insisted that she was called Christine, and if her friends came to the door asking for Chrissie, he would tell them no one of that name lived here!!

I don't mind if my James was to shorten his name to J, Jim, Jimmy, Jimbo etc, as I will always know he was named after an amazing man - grandad!!

Ali xx
    (Yes should be Alison but I can't stand it) xx