Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

health visitor?

How often is the HV supposed to call round? my baby it 4 and a half weeks old and ive had one visit since i have been home and ive been to the clinic to get my LO weighed once and she told me i only need to go once a month? but im going to go every 2 weeks

i think im doing ok and dont have too many concerns but just wondering if ive been forgotten about and if u were me would u contact the doctors or is it normal for not alot of visits?

H xx

Replies

• I had visits from midwives when i first left hospital but the health visitor only came to me once then I had to take baby to the clinic although I was told to go every two weeks so i would keep that up until baby is older
  • Hi my lo is 19wks & i've had 2 visits from the h.v not sure how many times there ment to come,1st visit was when lo was 2wks old 2nd was when Grace was 12 wks old to tell me not to wean (which i did when she was 12 wks) i know she forgot to do my pnd score cos she mentioned last time how busy she had been but how i could'nt have pnd cos i looked happy?!
  • My lo is 17 weeks old but I've had loads of visits, she came every week after the mw signed me off up until Eilidh was about 8 weeks then every 2 weeks until Eilidh's 2nd set of jags now I just go and get her weighed every month xx
  • I had visits from the midwife everyday for a week then the health visitor came every two weeks but i think this is cos i had a history of pnd. I dont think they supposed to come that often. As long as you and baby are well i guess going to the clinic will be ok as she will see you there, i got told i could go as often as i needed to clinic.
  • i had 3 visits in 6 weeks and then was told to go to clinic as i felt the need to, i was going every 2 weeks but have started to go every month now.
  • around here they usually come about 10 days after baby's born and then again about they're 12 weeks old. if they have any concerns they will inbetween or get you to come to the clinic. I think they like you coming to the clinic as it makes you have to get dressed & gets you out the house & talking to other mums.

xx
  • thank u 4 ur replies... i think i was just wondering where she had gone as my midwife was round all the time!!! felt like she had moved in lol!

i think i will go 2 clinic every 2 weeks 4 now anyway xx
  • I had one visit from hv ten days after lo was born and I take him to the clinic once a week to be weighed.
  • I never had the MW come cause my lol was in hospital for the first 2 weeks but my HV comes to see me every 3 weeks to weigh her
  • i was told to take mine every 2 weeks, i dont think i could of waited a month to make sure he was putting on weight! now that is 7 month and weaned i'm only going to go once a month. plus i hate the clinic it's that busy and unorganized sometimes i've waited an hour and a half- ridiculus with a restless baby and my 4 year old!!!
  • once the midwife has signed you off, the HV should visit you at home (on day 10) - then its up to you really, you can go to clinic as much or as little as you want. i get my HV to come to my house sometimes if i can't get to clinic - she's happy to do that. If you are concerned & are finding getting to the clinic too much - ask her to do a home visit.
  • thanks guys
    mumto2,24- i cant believe u have to wait that long 2 get ur LO weighed! thats so ridiculous!! I walked straight into mine yesterday and i was the fisrt one there and she was straight on the scales and somebody walked in behind me and got seen at the same time! If i were u i would try a different clinic in ur area if u drive- it must be such a pain 4 u
    xx