Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

anyone tried the contented baby book routines?

Hey
Has anyone tried the routines of Gina Ford from contented baby book? This is our 2nd day tryin the routine &so far so good...touch wood! How has anyone else found it or thought of it?xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi I tried them with my lo when he was younger but he never seemed to get into them. He would always need more sleep than she recommended so it never really worked! Although then we went on to try The Baby Whisperer EASY routines and he just automatically did the Gina Ford routine lol.
    Anyway he's 10months now and only got into a proper routine a couple months ago really.
    If it's working then stick with it, but don't worry if it all gets messed up, your lo will probably get into their own routine. x
  • Options
    I agree with xkelx - I think it suits some babies/mums perfectly but if it doesn't, don't stress yourself out trying to follow it to the minute. It definitely wasn't for me, but I have a friend who has followed it and her baby is in a great routine which suits her brilliantly. I think it's one thing to do it when you are at home, but because I like to go out almost every day (either to friend's or baby groups) I couldn't have stuck to the timings.
  • Options
    I tried it but was getting myself in a state trying to make LO stick to it! Ended up giving up after doing a log for a few days and realised LO was already in a bit of a pattern that he'd fallen into on his own so we stick to that now (he's 23 weeks). I'd say just go with the flow as like the others have said, it works for some and not for others.
  • Options
    I read it and adapted it to suit us. I used some of her ideas and suggestions but some just didn't work for us at all
  • Options
    I do it but not strictly at all (that may be why I am still night feeding at over 5 months! lol!)

My lo needs more sleep so I have tailored it for her. So she's 23 weeks almost and has almost 4 hours or naps a day even though Gina says she should only have 3hours! But I like having it as a rough structure to the day. We now have a pretty set routine of naps 9-945, 12-2.15, 4-5 (ish)
    Feeds are a nightmare but we are now thinking lo may have silent reflux which would explain that. I don't ever make her wait for feeds if she is hungry earlier. And I still do the split feed around the bath in a desperate attempt to get her to take some milk!

• Options
    I agree with what others have said - I have got her book and the BW book and basically borrow ideas from both to adapt to us. A lot of the theories are good (especially re sleeping during the day etc and the BW shush-pat technique for settling was a godsend!) but Gina's timings are so rigid it would never have worked for us. EASY is more flexible - I basically follow that but let Toby decide when the cycle will start each time as I am demand feeding, so it's not always exactly a 3 hour cycle (although he has sort of fallen into a 3 hourly cycle on his own).

At the end of the day you just need to do whatever works for you and your family - if it doesn't work out don't worry about it, especially while your LO is less than 10-12 weeks.

Good luck!
    C image
  • Options
    I love the baby whisperer, I couldn't handle the strictness of Gina Ford.
  • Options
    Whats the baby whisperer? Do i need to order a book? I like the Gina Ford routine but like most of you say its quite restricting! Charlotteb whats the EASY you talk about? and the shush-pat technique? My LO did really well yday and last night but has been a right winge bag 2day, although I have just put her down at 6pm and she has so far managed to get off to sleep on her own! Gina Ford recommends having the full daily intake for a 10lb baby is 700ml (government guidelines) but she just isn't havin that and she does "bitty" feedings, 90mls then only 40mls she hardly ever finishes off a bottle. God only day 2 and its peein me off, i know i have to give it time just so tired! xx
  • Options
    Just had a look on google for baby whisperer, which one is it, theres a few..do i need to buy a book?xx
  • Options
    This one will have all you need to know:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-Baby-Whisperer-Connect-Communicate/dp/0091857023/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266177321&sr=8-1

I urge you to read it but not follow it religiously unless it suits you and your baby though. Go with your instincts which are far more powerful and sensible than any 'expert''s book. I think the Baby Whisperer has a lot of good tips but you might find your baby settles into a different routine which works just as well for you. Or, like me, you may still have no real routine at 5 months, but that's ok too! Good luck xx
  • Options
    I've got The Baby Whisperer book too. But there is a website www.thebabywhisper.com and there are forums on there which will help ya with the general gist (sp!) of the 'schedules'. x
  • Options
    i bght the gina ford book - read it and shelved it! - far to strict for a little one i felt. Now use EASY but often swap around A and S. He sleeps much better in the day and sleeps usually 7pm-4am - 5am - 7.30am then feed him ridgedly every three hours through out the day. I used to take it a little too seriously (first time mum nerves) now much more relaxed and to be honest Toby is never going to sleep for 1.5 hours 3 times a day - I WISH!

So i found BW much much better, much more relaxed, but i did read it once and again shelved it so that i can try a get my own routine. Will most probably need it in a few months x
  • Options
    Thank you coco25 I have just bought the book at a total cost of ??3.91 including delivery..bargain!
    And thanks xkelx have just joined the baby whisperer forum although i find it alot harder to navigate around than this forum! Thanks girls really appreciate all the help!xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice too summer76!! Will def keep it in mind, I do have the first time mum nerves but I am soooooo craving sleep at the mo! Anyhoo I will keep at it! Thank u xx
  • Options

My 2.5 year old son, is a Gina Baby. he has been sleeping through the night from 4 months and its been great. He always knows when his bed time is and the routine really helps him. I think its one of those things. if you're gonna try it, you have to try it properly to get the full results. it is hard in the beginning but absolutely worth it. I love it, but, as others have said, its not for everyone. you have to like routines yourself!