Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Screaming during feeds!

Hi Ladies

i wondered if anyone has any advice for me, or has experienced anything like this?

My son is 8 weeks tomorrow, and has problems with feedings. He was breastfed for a week but due to problems moved to bottle, for the first week of bottle he was fine, then gradually got worse, screaming after and between feeds. After various trips to the doctors, after been told initially it was colic - and to just deal with it, it was decided by a really nice doctor that he has some reflux and a milk allergy.

Its been a week now on the new milk (Infrasoy) and using infant gaviscon, and after feeds there is no crying at all. Which suggests that the doctor was right.

So after feeds and between feeds i have a happy content boy. but during feeds is a nightmare, i have to continually fight to get him to feed, it seems like its not a painful cry, he will take about 1 oz and then crys, and as soon as you have managed to calm his screaming down, he will take more, this goes on for the entire feed

I am winding him throughout the feed so know its not trapped wind?

any ideas? do you think there could be something else wrong?? has anyone else experienced this??

Thanks

Lou

Replies

• did the doc check him over,making sure there are no obstructions-unlikely.
    gaviscon for reflux doesnt have good results,usually baby requires something stringer under paediatric care,if thats what it is. have you tried colic drops? also does he cry when you burp him? rubbing or patting?
  • Yes the doctor checked him over - no obstructions

Before the gaviscon was prescribed he was on colief colic drops which didn't seem to help at all.

he doesn't really cry when being burpped, and gets his wind up without to much of a fuss.

when he is taking his feed, he does look like he is enjoying it, and will always take more after his crying spells
  • hey hun, not sure but have you tried changing his teats? could be the texture / flow of the ones you are using? xxx
  • maybe it is reflux and the gaviscon isnt strong enough, they say sometimes when you rub there back to get up wind this may make them worse, as acid comes up from the tum into throat so patting is better. doesnt sound like colic then. maybe take back to gp hun.x
  • do you think its the teats? could be coming out too fast or too slow for him? x x xx
  • I used to have this with my lo when he was little. He would get himself so worked up that he would still be hungry, but too distressed to feed and he used to cry and cry and then exhaust himself so he would fall asleep in my arms and then wake up screaming because he was still hungry.

I experimented with so many bottles and all the different flows of teats imaginable. i settled on the Dr Brown bottles, and moved him straight onto the size 2 flow teats (he was 3 months at this stage), and he was so much better.
  • i like dr browns,much better than most others
  • Rachel was the same and we used the Dr Brown's too in the end - what I found helped most though was walking around with her whilst she fed, as the motion seemed to soothe her. The sling carriers are great for this.

Hannah xx