Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

weaning on to bottle from breast

can anyone please give me some advice! for the last 4 months i have been breasfeeding my son, i now want to wean him off breast and onto bottle but not sure what way to go about it. i spoke to the hv and she was no help, she told me to carry on bf till the 6 month.
i go back to work at the beginning of may so want him to be off me completely. can anybody help!

Replies

• Hi Sross, welcome to the site. I'm afraid I can't help much with this as I am still breastfeeding but there is another thread on here which should give you some ideas. It is on page 4 of the baby forum and it is titled 'Exhausted, help needed with breast feeding' it was started by miss penguin. There are lots of tips on there or I'm sure someone else will be more help than me!
    Kerry xx
  • Hi honey

There are lots of different bottles now on the market to help with the cross over from breast to bottle. I didn't do it for that long as i didn't get my milk which i was gutted about but my child was starving so i had to choose the right option for him.

i chose closer to nature by tommee tippee they are supposed to feel like a breast cos of the wide teat it says it's like the warmth of a breast.

My friend uses mam because the teat is silicone and closest to a nipple feel, she does both breast and bottle feeds.

But now there is a new one available in mothercare that is supposed to have a flow like a breast so they are still using the same sucking action they are called breastflow technology it's in the April edition of prima baby. i think it will be trial and error if all else fails and your Lo wont take to a bottle try going straight to a cup if they are old enough that is!!!

Hope it helps and i've not confused you even more sorry!!!!!

I work in a nursery and one of our parents breast feeds morning and night and he has solids during the day and water as he wouldn't have a bottle or take the milk from a cup it's another option to keep in mind xxx

[Modified by: suziejayne on March 28, 2007 10:44 PM]
  • I found that my lil one went onto Bottle from breast with very few problems- in fact she really liked it- probably because the milk comes out faster! lol
  • Hey although im b/f exclusivly now I had to give formula t/ups in my boys 1st week and I used avent naturally bottles. found that the boys sucked in the same way as they sucked when they b/f and had no probs. wld recommend expressing for 1st few bottle feeds if your gonna use formula as it tastes so different it can put babe off bottle. ignore your h/v youve done well to b/f for so long, it really annoys me when they are like that. good luck xx
  • Hey although im b/f exclusivly now I had to give formula t/ups in my boys 1st week and I used avent naturally bottles. found that the boys sucked in the same way as they sucked when they b/f and had no probs. wld recommend expressing for 1st few bottle feeds if your gonna use formula as it tastes so different it can put babe off bottle. ignore your h/v youve done well to b/f for so long, it really annoys me when they are like that. good luck xx

Absolutely! I only managed two months.
    It is sad when you don't do it anymore though. I really missed it at first. I went to a cafe just after I had stopped and saw a woman b/f and started crying.
  • Did i read right doublebubble your breast feeding twins????
  • hi
    thankyou for all your replys they were helpful.
    i am going to start it at the end of this month.
  • I'm very imressed doublebubble! How old are your los? Just out of intrest do you feed them both at once or take it in turns? Breast feeding one is time consuming enough for me!
  • I'm in awe of you double bubble with both mine there was never any question of not breast feeding (my first i did exclusive for 6 months) and my baby at the moment i intend to do the same.

But, i don't think it would even have crossed my mind with twins would have seemed impossible it seems to take up so much time how do you do it???

Nursing bra off to ya girl what a mummy xxxx
  • Wow! I missed the bit about twins too...
    How is it done, one on each breast???!!!