Forum home Babies Baby

where to buy milk ??

Hi all,
I have recently put lo on formula and am astonished by how much i get through. I am using at least a tin per week and at early ??7 per tin it's not cheap. Just wondering where is cheapest (??boots as get advantage points), do you ever see it on offer ?? Can you buy in bulk ? He is on SMA gold.
Thanks all xxx

Replies

• hi, i think sma and c&g are much the same everywhere.
    the cheapest i have seen are hipp,and farleys wich are ??4.98 for 900g tins in asda and tesco
    hope that helps. xx
  • hi,
    i agree with the above, my lo is on sma gold too and it is pretty much the same price everywhere give or take a few pence. by the way, you dont get advantage card points from boots on baby milk up to six months (only the follow on milk) dont ask me why lol.
    Toni x
  • Toni thats crazy?!! it sounds ridiculous to me, someone should have a damn good anser for that one!!
  • You aren't allowed to offer incentives to encourage people to buy certain goods. Prescription medicines are one and formula is another. I think the logic is that they don't want to encourage to people to buy formula unless they really need too (like you would the stuff is bloody expensive!) As far as I know it is not Boots descision but a particularly daft law.
  • right thats it he'll have to drink alcohol it's cheaper!!!
  • I think Baileys would be the stuff to give him, not that expensive and it contains cream so its almost milk :lol:
  • Jack has cow and gate. bout ??5 something in asda.
  • hiya.. when you go to the baby weigh in clinic ask the hv there as they do sell forumla at a cheaper price. I get aptimal and it's about ??7 in most places xx
  • Baby milk is the same price in most stores. I get cow and gate and its ??5.98 a tin. Expensive stuff havin a baby isn't it?!?!? x
  • i use cow and gate premium it costs ??5.98 a tub that seems to be price most places. I get through at least 2 tubs a week with twins and they are only on 5oz. i agree with melbee its so expensive we should get it reduced and if we pay tax on it, it should be abolished its rediculous xxxdebsxx
  • Boots cant offer points cos they need to encourage breastfeeding. Its silly i know. I use cow and gate comfort for my baby as she has problems with wind and its supposed to be gentle on her digestion, at ??6.98 for a small tub its not easy on my purse as she goes thru 1 a week hehe.
  • does no one get milk tokens anymore??
    when my first was born 4 and half years ago we used to get the higher amount of tax credit due to low income and every 2 weeks we used to get milk tokens through the post.
    if you were breast feeding the tokens would be for cows milk for you to drink and if bottle feeding they would be for 2 tins of your prefered baby milk.
    if they were for formula you would just take them to your local health centre and get your 2 tins of milk free.
    do they not do those anymore?
    i do agree that formula is very expensive my lo is only 2 weeks old and we already go through a whole tin a week!
    Toni x
  • does no one get milk tokens anymore??
    When my eldest was born 4 and a half years ago we were on the higher amount of tax credits due to low income and every 2 weeks we used to get milk tokens through the post.
    If you were breast feeding you would get cows milk with them from the shop and if you were bottle feeding you simply took them to your local health centre and got 2 tins of your preferred baby milk free.
    do they not do those anymore?
    i do agree baby milk is very expensive. my lo is only 2 weeks old and already we go through a tin a week!
    Toni x
  • Hi Toni, out of interest, how many ounces does your LO take at a time?
  • if ur on high amount of tax credit u should get healthy start vouchers(formerly milk tokens)
    u can exchange them for formula milk(not follow on) and cows milk and fresh fruit and veg. dunno what the criteria is 4 how many u get but they are valued at ??2.80 each so would assume u get at least 2 per wk to cover cost of formula. xx
  • Hi
    Matthew is on SMA gold too and eats loads so i nknow what you mean! Last time i checked i think Asda did it about 10p cheaper than other stores. B*gger about boots not doing points on it tho grrrr! Oh and isn't it annoying when Lo doesn't want all of the milk you've made and you end up throwing it away! Bedhead, am loving the idea of Baileys - but think i'd end up drinking it out of the bottle instead LOL!
  • I asked at clinic if they still had a 'milk lady on fridays' but I was told that cos low income fams get the vouchers they don't have to offer the service anymore. Bloody mat leave pay and having to find more cash for milk and nappies, he'll have to go bare bottomed and hungry !!!
  • Ive only ever seen Formula on offer in Tesco - asda are quite pricey with milk - pretty good prices on nappies tho
  • hi queenems,
    he takes about 4.5 oz every 4 hours. its amazing how quick the tin of milk goes down!
    the milk tokens i used to get wernt healthy start vouchers they were just milk tokens and you could only exchange them for either type of milk not fruit and veg.
    Surely they must still do them, i thought they were a great idea at the time as we had no spare cash to buy milk really.
    Toni x
  • Thanks Toni, just wondered as having so much trouble breast feeding! x