Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Christening

hey my little boy is nine weeks old and I really cant decide if I want him christened or not. I always said before I had him that I wouldn't and let him decide for himself when he's older but now he's here I feel like maybe I want to. I know there's the option of a civil naming ceremony too. I count myself as christian but dont go to church. Has anyone had their baby christened? Would u recomend it? anyone had a civil jobby? anyone not christened and wished they had? any views welcome. Thanx

Replies

• hi dawnie, i got daniel christened when he was 8 weeks old. I'm c&e & dh is catholic. We got married in a catholic church (because one of had to back down otherwise I wouldn't of got married!) so though I might as well get daniel christened in the same church too. :\) I see myself as a christian and sort of believ in most things that come from the church but I probably actually go about 5 times a year! Just because I don't actually go to church doesn't mean to say that you're not part of that faith. what has your dh said? did he want him christened? I would definatly say yes go for it... once they are older then then have their own choice in whether they want to re-confirm their faith in confirmation. good luck in whatever you decide xx
  • I was never christened and although im not religious i would have liked to have been, i got my baby christened and it was lovely the minister was great and every one had a great day... but its upto you and how you feel but id def reccomend...
  • Thanx guys I think I'm gonna have to defo look into it some more. My hubby isn't religious but will go along with whatever I want - got him well traind that way. I got married in a registry office and always regretted not having a church wedding so I think I might feel the same if I have a civil service for little man. Will let you know what I decide. Thanx again
  • Does anyone mind letting me know how much the service costs? I am wanting to get my daughter christened, but we are on a tight budget, thanks xx
  • hi jain.. it doesn't cost anything to christen your baby. the church normally like a 'donation' but this can be a ??10 in an envelope tbh! In fact I now we didn't give them anything, I think we forgot to give it to them. We hired the local catholic club for the afternoon for afterwards (it cost nothing) and did our own buffet (which cost about ??100) bought a sponge cake which cost ??25... we bought his christening outfit & christening blanket from an ebay shop which cost ??30. we have a big family so invited around 90 people. :\)
  • No how you feel being on a budget, our church did nt charge us a penny but my dad gave a donation, i know at my sister in laws babys day they did nt give a donation, we went bk to local pub again free and we did a buffet ourselves with a little help from the god parents... alot of people have the afternoon bit in their own homes which is just as nice.. Oh and have a look round at the dif churches we had a choice whether to sit through the service or have the christening seperate from service which is what i chose as i not religious....
  • can i ask why you got your baby christened if your not religious??? what was the point??? I'm just sorting out my lo christening and at our chruch CofE even the god parents have to have been christened and confirmed otherwise they cannot be god parents. You also either have to be in the churches parish or be on the churches electrol register to be able to have a christening held there. But you are right it can be done on a tight buget just get your god parents and friends to help out
  • me and oh arent religious but he is catholic and i am protestant and talked about schools so decided to get daughter christened in catholic church, we want her to go to catholic school, our son is also getting christened in same church, we dont go to church ourselves and will leave it up to kids if they want to practice their religion, i also see it as a celebration.
  • Thanks Girls xxx
  • My OH and i are planning on a civil naming ceremony as we feel that as neither of us go to church, although i believe in God (just not the church), we are not married and feel that it is hypocritical to let him get Christened in church. I think a little cermony in the back garden , surrounded by friends and family would be lovely for us!