Forum home Babies Baby

Bfing mummys..is this normal?

Evan is 10wks and he still feeds ALOT! Now i know bf babies eat more regularly...but he only lasts 1/2 an hr to an hr at a time....this has been since he was born and im starting to find it really hard going :cry: I have two other lo's who need my attention..not to mention a house to run and feel so much pressure on myself right now i want to scream image I love bfing him and really want to do it for his first year..if iwasnt so stubborn i would of given up by now..but i guess at the back of my mind im worried my milk isnt satisfiying him....earlier oh gave him an oz of fomula and the crabby baby who hates being put down etc was totally different....smiling cooing etc...im so worried im starving him :cry: Any views/suggestions would be appreciated....

Replies

• I was like this in the early days with my lo, I introduced a dummy to try and space out his feeds, so that he got more milk when he fed. If hes feeding very frequently hes not giving your boobs chance to fill up. Have you tried taking him for a walk to see if he will go longer between a feed? My lo now goes every 2-3 hours now during day at 18weeks! (much better than before!)
  • I agree with cara, it sounds like he might be 'snacking', basically taking a really short feed which doesn't keep him full long enough. Having a short feed also means he only gets the watery foremilk and not the hindmilk he needs to fill him up. I would definitely try making him wait a bit for a feed if you can, don't let him get really upset obviously, but if you can distract him for a while it will make him that bit hungrier when he does feed and he'll be more likely to take a proper, big feed. Formula is going to make him feel more full as it is much heavier and harder for them to digest. I'm sure you're not starving him, if he's putting on weight he's getting enough to eat, he's just taking it the way that suits him (lots of lovely mummy cuddles!) not the way that suits you!!
    xxx
  • I agree with what the others say and I would highly recomend introducing a dummy - worked wonders for us to stretch him out!
  • Hiya
    My lo used to feed alot too but it was more like every 2 hours in the day time and every hour in the evening occasionally when he was tiny but started to space feeds out more as he got older.
    Just wondering do you feed him off one side at a time per feed or both? because it could be that hes getting all the watery fore milk and not the richer, more filling hind milk.
    Not sure if you already are but i find if i feed my lo off just one side per feed, then when he finishes just offer him the other breast to see if hes still hungry he will stay fuller for longer and vice versa on the next feed.
    Or it could be that he just wants comfort so you could try a dummy or take him for a walk, my lo used to go 4 hours between feeds when he was smaller while we were out and about.
    Or he could also be going through a growth spurt atm.
    Good luck im sure he will settle down for you soon.
    xx

[Modified by: Melmo on May 31, 2009 09:00 PM]

• Thanks ladies, from what i see im sure he is a 'snacker' i just dont know how to break this cycle....he does have a dummy which he isnt very keen on, but if im honest i dont offer it as much as i could as i do tend to feed him if i see hunger signs....i just hate to see him agitated and know all he wants is boob, i guess its my fault as much as his...everything your saying is true because his first feed of the day im very engorged as he sleeps 8pm-4.30am (10min feed) then down til 7am - after the 7am feed he is very happy for over an hour and know this is because my boobs are so full at the feed......but it is is the only time of day hes willing to wait! Ive tried taking him for walks (crys the whole time!) playing etc, just find it so frustrating, i really thought getting through the first 6wks it would get easier, and if anything its harder now :cry:

Hes always had both breast at a feed and seems to drain them both very well....im just praying something changes soon, because im not sure how much more i can take :cry: I think this week im going to try to give him a 2hrly schedule...ive always fed on demand and this obviously isnt working...i havent had him weighed in nearly 3wks either so im going to do that on weds as this may reassure me....up to then he was putting on 9oz a wk so hv said to wait a few weeks to come as he was obviously thriving...:\? why arnt you warned that it isnt always so easy....:roll:
  • Awh hun i really feel for you and i hope it gets better for you soon, will you tell evan to have a word with my lo about sleeping an 8n half hour stretch :lol:
  • Hehe, i know...writing that felt quite bad as hes sleeping very well in the night....but as he refuses to nap at all in the day (unless attached to the boob) im not suprised....and i guess i should take some comfort in that, surely if he wasnt satisfied he wouldnt sleep that long image xxx
  • Hang in there, hun. I felt exactly the same way up until about a week ago. Then at 12 weeks something clicked and Peter went from feeding every 1.5 hours during the day to feeding at between 3 and 4 hour intervals (he goes a bit longer at night).

It sounds as if you are doing everything right and he is just very young. It is so hard to remember how little they still are at this stage - it feels as if they have always been part of our lives but they are still getting settled and figuring things like feeding out.

Best of luck. I hope it gets better for you soon.
  • Thank you THG, its nice to hear it could get better...so do you think i should still demand feed? I think my convidence took a mega knock today as we had rels down for the wkend...and all ive had is comments on how much he feeds, when will i stop etc...and the inlaws are down next wkend...