Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

TV

Hi, I was wondering what you all think about babies watching TV? Is it a good or bad thing?
So far I've avoided it but recently started working again from home..I can work when my lo is napping but sometimes could do with a little extra time to finish off when he's awake!
Would be great to hear what you all think. .If your lo's watch TV and if so what and how much? Thanks.x

Replies

• Options
    Kade watches quite a bit of telly and to be honest I am not too sure if I am letting him watch too much but I am exactly like you. We work from home so I often have stacks of emails to reply to and sometimes it is easy to pop his baby tv channel on while I get on but must admit it worries me I'm letting him watch too much.
    I don't think it will do a great deal of harm so long as they are not left in front of it for very long periods. I sometimes think a little of it can be good as it seems to stimulate him.
  • Options
    hi i sit my lo in front of tv (baby channel) but also with a few toys, it keeps him busy when i need to have a quick tidy up or something. i try not to leave him there too long, about half hour. the toys mean he isnt always staring at the tv. xx
  • Options
    i dont think it does them too much harm.. otherwise how else would you get things done, or have 5 mins to yourself. I love my baby to bits but i cant fuss round him 24/7.. he needs to be a bit independant. He dont watch that much anyway, just a little bit in the morning whilst i get ready or tidy up and then maybe a little bit in the afternoon whilst i put tea on.xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies. I think it's probably a necessary evil! Can anyone recommend a programme that's enjoyable and maybe good for development (to ease my guilt), as i have no clue when it comes to kids TV? x
  • Options
    i tend to have to tele on most of the day but when evie isnt feeding or napping i tend to play with her toys with her or entertain her other ways. she's too young to play with toys on her own really, but is fascinated by the tele and it really shuts her up which is brilliant if i need to have lunch or do chores. my hv said its not too bad as they can benefit from it with things such as learning colours and language. xx
  • Options
    I let Kara watch TV while she is in her rocker and on the swing. I put on the Disney Channel and she watches My friends Tigger and Pooh and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. She is interested in the toys but she watches away at the colours on the TV. I don't see any harm in watching them if they are educational and full of colours and music. I am not a big fan of children sitting in front of the TV but I don't see any harm in a little bit even on in the background.
  • Options
    Hiya - god am on a real rant tonight!

Lewis loves the music channel (clubland) 378 on sky - he falls asleep to that - he isn't interested in the baby channel, but he loves it when i sing the hokey kokey am a great singer (well to him) lol

Lewis loves the tv, think its because its so big but its just the colours etc thats he is interested in! - i cant see it being a bad thing letting them watch tv - educational i think especially all the soaps lol - i always have the tv on so i can hardly say for him not to watch it when am doing it!
  • Options
    millie is obsessed with playhouse disney so much that when i feed her it has to go off coz she just takes no notice of me, i think personaly that her watching tv a few hours a day has really brought her on with things like clapping, and dancing to the music well rocking to the music lol but one thing that hv told me not to do is let her control the tv, coz some babys cry n scream when the tv gets tured over, which isnt a gd thing, oh she also like watching football which o/h is pleased about lol x
  • Options
    yeah lewis likes football too, which pleases the oh! lol dont let baby control the tv Lewis sits with the remote in his hand lol
  • Options
    I usually have the tv on when im at home and Joshua loves it. I sit him in his playstation and I let him stay in there till his programme is finished which is good for me so i know he doesnt stay in his playstation too long and i rush around like a lunatic doing the housework! Joshua also watches cbeebies bedtime hr and loves in the night garden and when its story time he has his last bottle. When he's on the floor playing he doesnt really take much notice of it unless its music which he loves.

I dont think TV is bad...its the type of TV that they watch which is more important. Im studying for degree in social science and my course at the moment is on child development. I was reading the other night that children who watch educational fun programmes have a higher academic level at the age of 8yrs than those who watch violent cartoons and scenes of anger which is probably just common sense. I know our los are probably too young to understand but Joshua has just started copying things i do so if i bash a teddy he'll do it and he is 9 months. Anyway sorry to go all serious im sad i know! xxx
  • Options
    hi i usually have the tv on cbeebies and nick jnr most of the day, as tegan loves watching in the night garden and lazy town, when she is fully awake we play with her toys, but when i know she ready for a nap i lie her next to the tv as she watches it and drifts off to sleep. i dont think i would get alot done if she didnt watch tv lol x
  • Options
    Hi

My lo is 7 months and he watches TV sometimes. He loves it and its usually for a little while in the afternoon so i can get a bit of housework done or make my self a cup of tea. He always has his play mat out with loads of toys so he plays with them some of the time and looks up at the TV when he hears something he likes.

Baby TV and BabyFirst are great, lots of music and bright colours. Ellis loves a short programme called Egg birds, no idea why as its not as bright and interesting as some of the others. He also really loves Wheels on the bus on Tiny pop channel, this seems like a good programme as its bright, musical and each one is based around a nursery rhyme.

I always have the TV on when i'm at home for background noise but Ellis wont is interested unless i put the baby channels on or the Moonpig advert comes on, he loves it!

• Options
    [ I know our los are probably too young to understand but Joshua has just started copying things i do so if i bash a teddy he'll do it and he is 9 months. Anyway sorry to go all serious im sad i know! xxx

lol Lewis has started doing that, my little brother gave his sooky teddy a right bashing and then he did and he was laughing so much he had tears in his eyes!
  • Options
    It seems as though everyone is pro TV then! I have the Baby Einsteins and like the sound of In the Night Garden so will give those a whirl when I need to get some work done! I think as most have said it probably won't do any harm but agree with Vicky&Joshua and will probably be selective about what he watches. Sorry Crilly, I don't think I could stretch to Leona Lewis for peace & quiet though..lol!
    Btw, I know someone who won't let their son watch programmes with characters that don't talk properly, eg. teletubbies, twinnies etc. x
  • Options
    hi missymoo, i'm another one who doesn't like programmes where the characters talk a load of rubbish! i'd much preffer it if they spoke proper english, they could still have distinctive voices to make it more fun. but considering most kiddies programmes don't use proper english i just put up with it and evie watches them all. i guess i just don't really see the point in making up silly gobblygoop for the characters when LO's would benefit so much more from proper speech! what do others think? xx
  • Options
    Hi linziMc, I can definitely see where you're coming from. Whats the point in using gobbldygoop? I wouldn't have thought it would help with their speech development. I guess it's just a bit of fun for them but when my friend mentioned it it got me thinking..she actually puts the discovery channel on for her lo!x
  • Options
    I totally agree that TV Programs where they dont speak properly shouldn't be watched. If I turn on a program and they are going on stupid I turn it over lol. The discovery channel is great for kids. My Husbands son is 7 and watches away at the Discovery Channel and the stuff that he learns is amazing. Then on the other hand he would watch Spongebob Squarepants who really annoys me. If I see that I turn it off straight away as well. Educational programs wins all the time.