Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone's Mother's Day not going as you'd hoped?

2»

Replies

• i'm probably on my own here but im really not bothered? hubby is at work so its just me and lo on my first ever mothers day, no cards etc, but you know what, i've just been reading the mothers day thread on the bereavement forum, we should all read it because i'm just so so bloody grateful i have time with my beautiful daughter, sod the cards and presents ;\)

Don't get me wrong, i'm not having a go for you guys who feel put out today, thats absolutely fair enough and i hope your day turns out a bit better by the end, you never know :\)

i agree 100%, there are so many women who have lost their children, i am also thinking about jade's two sons who lose their mum last year, there are other people with worst problems xx
  • Well we started Mother's Day in the Emergency Department, so no - not exactly what either of us had planned! At 11:30pm my exclusively breast fed 10 week old projectile vomited a huge amount of bright pink (bloody) fluid which was really frightening and NHS Direct told us to go straight to hospital. After an hour it was pretty obvious he was fine but we didn't get the all clear until 4am!!

My husband did get me a gift ( good book) and a card from our LO which was really sweet and all I really wanted - we will be sleeping at every spare moment today!!

Hope everyone's days improve - and I agree, even if things aren't going perfectly, we are all so lucky to have happy healthy LOs. I fully support everyone's right to have a rant (like I do all the time, lol) but last night I saw a few families in the Paediatric Emergency Department who have it really rough and it was a big wake up call after I've been complaining about very minor things!!

C xo
  • Rant away hun, that is what we are all here for!
    I've had a great mothers day so far, apart from LO deciding to wake every 2 hours when she has previously slept through every night since 12 weeks old haha!

On my birthday (my first as a mum) I had swine flu and LO at 10 weeks old had to stay with my mum for the week. Instead of being grateful that my baby was being well looked after and healthy I was sobbing all day because it wasn't the birthday I imagined, having my LO with me. Sounds selfish but when you build something up in your head and look forward to it you can't help but to feel disappointed, despite the circumstances.

Chin up, have lots of cuddles with your baby and know that your LO loves you more than any other person on this earth

xxxx
  • I totaly understand, i think we all have the image of the perfect mothers days in our heads, beautifully wrapped, thoughtful gifts, a lie in, brekky in bed, a nice family day out... but i think the reality for most of us is very different! Most men don't know or understand that wish of ours!

I did get a lie in, and a card and pressys. I started my day disappointed with the fact my hubby didnt bother to wrap my presents up, and that he bought me a dvd i told him only a few weeks back that i don't like....

but actually, after i thought about it, my SIL had a stillbirth last year, and this should be her first mothers day with her little girl.

I feel blessed to have my beautiful daughter and when i get annoyed about the non wrapped presents i just remind myself of whats really important!

Although this day is an excuse for nice cards and presents, everyday for us ladies can and is mothers day image

I'm sure you're all brilliant mummys with perfect LO's. Enjoy your day, no matter how it goes. Just think of all the best bits of motherhood, and the things you love about your LO/s

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• I am very grateful for my lo. I was grieving myself last Mother's Day after a mmc. Obviously I don't deny others are having a tougher day than I am. xx
  • oh honey, it's horrible when you have a perfect picture in your head and it doesn't go to plan! Mine has been lovely but all the same, it could be better but by that I think I mean balloon rides, beautiful walks in teh park etc etc but i've cleaned the bathroom and tidied up as we have a viewng and i'm about to go throug hpaperwork as we are trying to buy another house ha ha!
    I got a really lovely present so again can';t complain but we had a huge row last night as he missed a little bit of rugby as we were shopping and there was traffic so i'm still in a bit of sulk mode!
    Just remember, no matter what day it is, you still did an amazing job brining a little baby into the world and i'm sure your lo appreciates everthing you do, even if your hubby doesn't show it!
    I must admit I did think of DB today and the poor time she has been through with Ted. I know she is going through a much worse time than any of us and would give anything to have him here but i'm sure they all understand that some ladies feel a bit put out.
    Big hugs and happy mummies day ladies, makes you realise just how special we all are!
    xxxx
  • can i G/C from due in june!!! saw post o front page!!
    im 28+3 weeks with my 1st baby and i have seen cards in shops for mummies to be on mothers day, me and the babys dad are not together anymore, but i would have still thought he may have posted one to me or at least called, i sent him a valentines card from the baby on valentines day cus no-one else got him one, he didnt send me one back then either image

However, the girls in due in june have wrote a special mothers day post for me so that has made me feel so much better imageimage
  • My MD is going really badly. This is my 2nd MD and I am thinking of giving up hope next year. My 1st MD little Ruben was 3 months old and was screaming all day. I tired to do something on the computer and it broke. I thought I had lost all the photos of Ruben. The next day it turned out to be chicken pox.
    I was hopping that this year would be better and my OH got me nothing. No card or anything! I knew he had bought one for his awful mother and assumed he got me one also. When I asked him where my card was he said he did not realise that I wanted/needed one! Cried for about a hour until he came back with a rubbish excuse that Ruben had left them in his car seat and he had not noticed. Now is taking me out this evening too!

xx
  • this is my second mother's day, although i don't really count my first lol, as it was the day after ds was born and i was laid up in hospital following an em c section, OH uid get me floweres but tbh i was expecting those for having just given birth to his child anyway...this yr i've got a card from ds and from oh (although oh bought me one saying 'to mum', lol bless him, i'm not his mum) and a little mug and coaster set with 'mum' on which is all i wanted really, and perhaps some halp with ds and housework, but instead he's been playing on his computer all afternoon......he did make me an omlette foe lunch tho image ... i think we all get this idealistic view of mother's day (much like xmas etc too) and hype it up ourselves,t hen when it doesn't quite live up to our expectatioons it's a bit of an anti climax, although i am a bit disspointed because i did put a lot of effort into his father's day last yr, planned a day out etc, got him a moon pig card with a photo of him and ds on, but i over heard him talking to my mum about MD and she said to him about it being my first and he said 'no its not, she had last yr' my mum did point out that was hardly what i did for him either, but he doesnt quite get that....we shall see what next yr brings,but for now i'm quite happy xxx

oh and forgot to say, he didn't wrap my present either, nor did he even write my name in the cards...just who they were from

[Modified by: WoW Baby on March 14, 2010 04:55 PM]

• my children's father is no longer around so I have just had a normal day of washing, cleaning, cooking, breaking up fights etc!!!
    My 6 yr old made a lovely card at school which he presented to me this morning!
    My mum popped in on her way to the pub!!! For 10 mins, to "collect" her cards and presents and then told me that she "was going" to take my boys to buy me something the other day but she didn't because she didn't know what to get and because it would have been obvious what they were going out for because she never takes them out!!!!! WTF! Why bother telling me that, it's worse than if the thought had never occured to her! Anything would have been a lovely surprise!
    Mother's day is just another day for me, not a chance to have a lie in or have a break from my usual motherly duties, I can understand why some of you are annoyed but I'm sure there are other times when your oh has let you have a lie in or takes over with the kids or cooks for you, it doesn't have to be today x x
  • my mothers day last year was pretty good however this year hasn't gone so well :lol:

got woken up by a lovely smiley LO with a present (i picked myself) and a card, had cuddles in bed for a little bit before getting up for a shower...half way through my shower with conditioner in my hair the boiler decided to give up on me and i was wandering round the flat soaking wet covered in conditioner wonder what the hell i was going to do...cue hysterical shouting at OH that the flat was a mess and it was an embarrassment if british gas have to come out etc etc (he's a SAHD and does nothing while i'm out at work - hence why i've spent all day doing the washing), i ended up crying my eyes out dipping my hair into the sink after boiling the kettle for some hot water.

thennnnn after phoning british gas (who said they'd be out sometime today and would phone 30 mins before so we could make sure we were home from visiting) we made our way to Tesco for nappies before heading to MIL's, LO fell asleep on the way there which wasn't great as he has 1 nap a day usually around 3pm and this was 10am. arrived at MIL's for about 20 mins when british gas phoned to say they'd be at ours in 10 mins (we were 25 mins away) so we had to practically run home! boiler couldn't be fixed so we're without heating and hot water til Tuesday when an ordered part will be in grr!

tried getting LO to have another nap this afternoon but he was having none of it and has been sooooooooo grumpy tonight and was asleep in seconds when i put him to bed at 8...OH is at work and i'm all on my own! woo! lol x
  • oh hun - i am so sorry its not turning out as planned - i completely understand that others are worse off and have been praying laujai has a successful pregnancy and thinking about sohappy who has just lost hers - db and the beautiful picture of ted - i also thought of our angel babies that we never got the chance to hold and also our boys who we are now so lucky to have - but dont feel bad for feeling this way - last year we were both in such a pickle after losing our beans its understandable that today means alot.

i too can be opinionated but you have been through lots too - dont ever forget that - i also hope that other posters understand that this forum is for support and i am therefore sending you a shoulder to lean on for the evening - Just think we have a mummys day every day x x x hugs to you and james x x x x
  • I hope people dont think I was having a go. I really wasnt. I was so pleased to read this thread to put a bit of perspective on my own stupid moans...which I still allowed myself to have! lol! Hubby still isnt home and I have a taster day at work tomorrow so all I want to do is go to bed but im waiting for him to come home!

Everyone has their own worries, and none are more or less important than others, its just that when I read about some other peoples days, and feel they are worse off than me, it makes me feel that I am very lucky. That was no reflection on you hun, or anyone else.

I hope everyones day improved xx
  • i agree gb - i also feel grateful when i read others posts - i am so goddamn lucky -

how are your two boys - havent heard about them for ages is the new milk helping??? Also werent you starting weaning also - how is that going - i pureed apples today for the first time and will try them next week x
  • i did get brakfastin bed, at 6.30! hubby had got me an 'outdoor' plant from baby (it is indoor so I have nowhere to put it, it is currently on the high chair!)
    then my eldest fell and hurt her hip so spent 3 hours in a+e and have spent the best part of the day listening to her sobbing (its not broken but very painful)
    then had a fall out with my mum coz she had a go at me for not telling her dd was in a+e (as she would have come and entertained her apparently)
    then wen to FIL so my husband could light a candle in the garden for his mum (who died last may) only to find that FIL had misunderstood about the plant that hubby had bought for his mum the day before and FIL had given it to his mum that morning!
    All in all not a great day, but now im on my 7th mothers day I dont really care as much, good job really! x
  • OK so my day was not what I expected, not bad in the end but not what I expected. OH gave me a card from lo and a mug that said I love my mummy, then he went and washed the car and his work van and went to finish sorting out the dismantled garage in our garden, when he phoned me (I was in the house so slightly odd) he had to take his mother to an emergency doctors appointment in an hour as she had terrible stomach pain and their car had broken down so we wouldn't be able to go to my mums with all my grandparents. It all came good in the end my brother picked me up and got a taste of the stuff you need when you go out for a day with a baby (he'll learn when his comes in the next few weeks) and after a trip to hospital MiL seems to be OK and was released OH even managed to get to mums just in time for tea, and my grand parents got and hour of LO 'talking' ten to the dozen. All I can say is it's amazing what some people will do to spend more time with there children on mothers day I mean we were going to see them any how!!!!!!
  • Mine!!
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i have 5 kids, yes 5! 19, 16, 5, 4 and 2. You would think out of that I would at least get breakfast in bed and a card. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I was so upset. I have tonsilitis too and feel shit.

My 19yr old is in UK (we live abroad) so she posted a card but it has not arrived. Fair enough! My 16yr old is a boy and therefore incapable (his words not mine) of sorting it out. OH been far too busy (his words) and little ones cant be blamed.
    My 4 yr old came out of school with a lovely card that they made. That made up for it all.

The F1 was on here (we in bahrain) so OH, 16yr old and 5yr old went off to watch it at the Stadium. I got pens out, glitter, glue etc and made some cards with the 2 smallest. We had great fun. Had some crepe paper so made some flowers on pipe cleaners. They are lovely.

Went to the docs as I felt so ill. Got anti b's for tonsilitis. Spent rest of afternoon shivering on sofa and then sweating! OH brought in a take away but I did not feel well enough to eat. Had some ice lollies instead!

My mum died aged 54 nearly 10yrs ago so I always feel sad on mothers day. I miss her every single day but a day for mothers just gets to me. My family knw this and yet made no effort to cheer me up. My brother is running the London Marathon for the hospice that looked after my mum so I donated what I would have spent on flowers to that.

Yes, some people are worse off than others I agree. However, we are all entitled to a good moan now and then and should not feel bad for doing so.
    I hate not having my parents here (dad died age 39 and mum 54 when I was just 14 and 30) but I don't make someone guilty if they moan about their parents. I do try to tell people to appreciate what you have but I also know that if my parents were here today they would not be the perfect parents. They would be near perfect but I am sure I would still be here moaning about something they said.

I am off shopping this morning just to show my OH and kids that if they dont spoil me then i will do it myself..ha ha ha ha (evil laugh)

d xx
  • Morello - I am the same as you. I am not bothered about any of these sorts of days my OH doesnt get me a card fpr Mothers day, my Birthday, Valentines day, xmas day, our anniversary etc. As long as I am with my boys and they are happy that is fine by me. I took them out for my birthday last week and took them to the zoo yesterday. My oldest was happy and smiling all day. To me that is much better than a card or present and a better use of money.
    I sometimes think - will he suprise me and get something? But the answer is usually no so I decided it was easier not to get stressed. When my boys are older I might feel different because they will understand what it is about and might want to show appreciation.
    I work on the principle - Expect nothing then you won't be disappointed. If you do get something then it is always a nice bonus.

Hope all of you mothers days went well in the end.