Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

baby sickness

hi everyone,

My friends little girl who is just over 7 months old had reflux when she was born.. the problem is that the little girl is still vomiting @ 7months and in lots of pain when its happening. she is also loosing weight with it, she is currently 14lb 9oz (the same weight as my 4 month old!) the peads have told her theres nothing they can do and stopped all medication. does this sound right? i think it sounds worrying but wanted your opions and to see if anyone had ever heard of anything like that? she is otherwise a normal happy little girl and she is on proper foods and medicated milk.

thanks guys xx

Replies

• Have they checked her for allergies or intolerance to milk?
    My lo is lactose intolerant and I know some symptoms are being sick and someone I know had a lactose intolerant baby and they lost weight and did not thrive.
    I don't have any experience of reflux so do not know if this is normal but I would be worried because of the weight, my lo is 7 months and not that heavy compared to others her age on her but she is already over 17lb.
    Maddie did not suffer with sickness but was quite raspy and had colic like symptoms (lots of stomach pain) and to be honest we only found what the problem was because I tried her on Soya milk (I shouldn't have done so as she was under 6 months) this was such an improvement that we managed to get someone to listen and got prescribed Nutramigen formula - in one day the change was so amazing it was like a whole different baby.
    Not sure if this is any help but if she is not happy perhaps she could ask for a second opinion.
  • Jesseandme - my lo's 15 week and has had reflux since 3 weeks. We've tried gaviscon, enfamil ar, c&G comfort, sma staydown, carobel and she's now on domperidone and gaviscon with c&g premium, as advised by paed. None stop her sickness but i can tell if she doesn't have the gav - projectile vomit etc.
    Has she tried all the above, or others under doc/paed? Has the paed given her the stomach probe to investigate further? I'm really hoping that we don't have to do that for Gracie but if it helps....
    We haven't tried ranitidine so am gonna ask to try that. Most docs say they grow out of it by 1 yr but it's horrid living with so much sick! My lo's 14lb 8 now so putting on weight not a prob but they still want to monitor weight gain - are they doing this 4 her? It seems strange they've stopped all meds - is this because of a risk if taken for a long time?
    If your mate doesn't know why, I'd def be asking the docs/paeds and also making sure they've covered all poss routes.
    If she's tried all the above then I'm sorry i've been of no help, but I do know what she's putting up with!
    Out of interest, which milk is she on? May be one we could try next.....
    Ali x

[Modified by: alioli on March 28, 2008 09:06 PM]
  • thanks peeps..

i no she is using a prescribed formula but i`m not sure which one but she is lactose intollorent and i think it is for that... when elisha went onto food it stopped for a while but its now back with a vengence. i`m just worried that its something a bit more serious thats being overlooked because of stupid nhs doctors. but she doesn`t have the money to go private.

i might suggest soya and see if that helps her.

thanks girls xx
  • If she is already on a formula for lactose intolerance then it should be something like Nutramigen and Soya will not help.
    I really would suggest asking for a second opinion.

Hope she gets it sorted, let us know how she goes.