Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Please Help breast to bottle

Hi!

I am currently breastfeeding and going back to work soon. Has anyone got any advice on how to get my baby to drink from a bottle or a cup. Aimee is nearly six months old and will not take either. Really worried that while I am at work she will not drink and I have tryed going cold turkey with her and this just stresses her out, also tryed giving her bottles before every feed nothing seems to work. Please has anyone got any advice. Really want to carry on feeding as long as possible.

[Modified by: pippin1 on 29 May 2007 20:47:55 ]

[Modified by: pippin1 on 29 May 2007 21:04:31 ]

[Modified by: pippin1 on 30 May 2007 21:45:16 ]

Replies

• Options
    My lo is nearly 5 1/2 months and have been trying to get him to take abottle. I have succeded a bit. He still wakes at night so I put some of breast milk into a 'Breast flow ' bottle and whilst he was half asleep I managed to get him to take some only an ounce to start with! and then he fed from me.
    I have managed to get him onto cheaper bottles now (thankfully) but until last night he was only taking 2-3oz. THen last night I thought I'd try a stage 2 teat (suitable from 3 months) and he downed 6 ounces (might have taken more but I'd only made 6 as was wasting so much!!) Today he's taken his first daytime bottle with a lot of fussing to start with. Have got him on formula in the night and then each new feed I do I'll use breast milk (partly as its what he's used to but also to use up the stash in the freezer!! (I need to stop feeding him when I go back to work as I have to do a mixtur of day and night shifts so it will be easier and less confusing for him just to have formula.

As far as the cups I struggled there too but was then told to get a free-flow spouted cup as the non-spill ones are hard to use. I started with an easiflow cup from Tommy Tippee but he wasn't getting anything so now have a Tommy tippee beaker. He does get some stuff out of it but as its only water he turns his nose up!!
    Have you tried just using and ordinary glass/beaker? Thats what a friend of mine resorted to and her lo drank beatifully from it.

Good luck and let me know how you get on. I'm still working on it. WAt I thought I'd is drop a brweast feed per week over the next 4-5 weeks it will help me and also not be so harsh on Alexander!!
    If Aimee continues to scream then let her feed of you. Is there anyone else that can try her with a bottle? If there is then you need to be out sight as she sees you as a food source as well as her mum. If she can't see another way of getting her food she may be more willing to try