Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

reading to LO

hiya I have a bit of a problem. I have a few baby books for LO and would love to read them to him, or even look at them.
But whenever i get a book and sit down with it, all he does is grab the book and tries cramming it in his mouth! I tried giving him something soft to hold while i read to him but as soon as he sees the bright and colourful book he drops it and reaches out for the book again!

Anyone got any advice on how to read to my LO?? :\)

Replies

• To start with could you maybe make up a story or say some rhymes while he's chewing the book?That way you're still having that time together and he'll be taking in what you're saying and might eventually let you hold the book! Or give him one to chew and show him the pics in another? Good luck!

xxx
  • fin's nanny brought him some really good very thick hard paged books! fin goes to grab and tries to put in mouth but if i start turning pages he then finds it fun to push the page over... not really reading it yet, hubby quite good at that as he fights fin for the page... boys! but it's good for them to hear you talking and seeing all gthe colours..

you could try getting the sound books that you press the noises as you go along - my lo has a digger one and bits move on the page which he stares at!

how olds your lo? fin is nearly 6 months - when do you start doing bedtime stories??? think fin would just get too excited and wake up more!
    xx
  • Ive started reading to Joshua at bedtimes and he's just turned 1. I put him in his sleeping bag and lay him down but he always stands back up and listens and chats away, i only read for about 15/20 mins cos i dont want to wake him back up...I read cinderella a couple of nights ago...my favourite.

But, I also read my magazines to him cos i dont get chance in the day so i read them to him in a story telling voice and he doesnt notice yet lol.

Joshua had loads of books even the thick cardboard ones but he still chews the life out of them! xxx
  • Paige loves me reading to her i manage to get in two sometimes three stories (mind you my other two have always loved reading and loved being read to from an early age) when i first started reading to her i had to give her a chewing toy or another book two distract her hands, and now she loves it, i read in a soft fun tone, making speech of characters fun too, i've even joined paige to the library as well and change her books every week or two.....at the minute she has hairy mclarey and zachery quack and hairy mclarey from donaldson dairy she seems to like listening to these ones and i have been following the words with my finger too which also seems to distract her
  • I am obsessed with books lol. I was always a book worm and always read and would love Kara to be the same. I also joined Kara to the library and change her books often. She does love books though. She trys her best to turn the pages and does succeed most times. I do read them to her but most times she is happy enough to sit with the book herself and thump it or else put it in her mouth which I try to avoid especially if they are library books and we don't know where they are from. I have soft books of her own as well. When she is old enough to sit and understand I will def read her a book every night before bed. My husband thinks I am crazy. When I was pregnant my brother even commented that when I give birth I will probably get a book out and read it to the baby lol. He is the opposite to me with books as you probably guessed.
  • HI louise.....have you tried reading to Kara? Paige is only 9 months but sloves me reading to her......my other two would sit with a book at the age of one and look as though they were reading it following the words with their fingers and if it was a book that was repeatedly read by the age of two they even read it from memory, and i'm hoping that paige will be the same as my others would sit for ages like that mind you they were the same when they were older with jigsaw puzzles but try and get my 17 yr old to read a book or do a puzzle now it'd be like getting blood out of a stone lol its so not cool
  • Big Mumma

Yes I do read to Kara. I do read the books to her every day and she does listen although she tends to get distracted by something but still listens. Books are great and would love her to like them as much as I do lol.
  • Hi I would just keep trying to read little books - they do grab and want to eat them at first but I just kept trying to turn the pages and Eve soon got the idea.She Loves her books sometimes she doesnt even get one toy out of the toy box all day as she just loves looking at the books ,cuddling up with me reading them etc.. she gets excited at one's where she knows whats coming next.Dog and cat books are a favourite at the mo and books with things to touch on them.I love reading to her.

I also take her to the library she loves grabbing all the books off the shelf !!!

Good luck with it .
  • We've settled into a routine of reading to lo at night - hubby gives him a bottle in his cot and I read. Don't think he pays much attention but I'm hopingi ts a good start for a bedtime routine when he's older. I do sit him on my knee and read him board books but we only seem to get half way through and he gets a page and starts turning it back and forwards. I figure so long as he's happy its ok!

I love to read and hope to give Cole the same love of books that I have. I was 2 weeks late and my dad always said I was finishing my book before I came out!