Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tips for baby with blocked nose??

Thomas is 8 weeks old tomorrow, and he has had trouble sleeping past 2 nights cos he has a blocked nose.. well it isnt blocked, its as if hes got a bit of a cold, and the snots (sorry ) are going hard and causing him to have difficulty breathing through nose, you can hear the rattling blocked bits as hes breathing.
Just wondered if any other mums with little ones under 3 months have an idea what i can use to try and help his breathing?? I tried a small amount of snuffle babe on his chest last night, but didnt seem to help.
Al the other things like karvol and olbas drops say over 3 months??Are there any other things I can use?
caz xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi babe.

Matthew had snots when he was tiny and i bought a nasal aspirator and some nasal drops from boots. The aspirator is great, really works. I got that from mothercare for a fiver!

I also put some karvol on a tissue and put it by his cot.

Hope he gets better soon xxx
  • Options
    Hi babe, whats an aspirator?? I have some karvol, and was thinking of doing what you said tonight.. cos vapo stuff didnt really help him.. its a shame, cos he had just started to sleep fab at night, now this disturbing him... and me lol.

Gotta go to my mams today, for a few days probably, cos the drains in our house are blocked, and they think they gunna have to lift the kitchen floor to get access and clear it all up. Gutted, its gunna stink, but have to stay away with the kids cos its bad for them to be around with the smell etc yuk.
    I'll be poping back over the house during days, but have to sleep at mams. its a mare. Hope your ok hun.x
    xxxx
  • Options
    Its like a little sucker thing that you put in there nose and it sucks the snots out and clears the nose. I use it on matthew whenever he is snotty and i think they really good!

Thats a bummer about your drains! what a fart on!! Poor kiddies!

I found my wedding dress on saturday! i am so excited! It s stunning! xxx
  • Options
    Snuffle babe is good, i also use nasasol, nasal drops from boots. That also works a treat x
  • Options

Hiya, thanks to other mums on this thread for their useful advise. my baby girl is nearly four months old and she recenlty began waking up in the night crying with a blocked nose (very noisey breathing) and we had a terrible time trying to make her comfortable, we were worried about her only being able to breath through her mouth. We have tried various methods and read sever blogs and articles - we tried a humidifier and a nasal spray but we found the best method for us was to use a junior decongestion drops (Karvol) on a muslin square which we placed at the end of her cot and It seems to have eased off.

Anne

• Options
    I put olbas oil in a sink of steaming water whilst my daughter is in the bath. When I went for my daughters 3 mth jabs the nurse suggested running hot water / shower to makre bathroom steamy whilst lo sits in bouncy chair. \but I find that a trip to swimming seems to clear her nose for the longest period of time I think its down to the heat and humidity in the changing rooms
  • Options

Hevma, I think you mean the Baby nose-clear nasal aspirator from 4little1. It really does help by sucking the snot out.

• Options

Vicks or similar on their chest ( or baby grow if still very little) on their back and ON THEIR FEET!!! dont know why it workd but it does. and everyone i have told about has said it worked for them too.

• Options

Saline drops and also a "humidifier" with eucalyptus drops, the humidifier adds steam to the room at night that helps release pressure on nose and chest xx

• Options

The more natural way is a steamy bathroom to clear the airways & those mummy's who BF will find a little squirt of their milk into baby's nose will help speed recovery.

• Options
    Be careful of using and vicks/karvol menthol based rub on ones who are very little.There is some research to show that their little noses are still so sensitive that the strong smell irritates the nasal passages and actually makes the congestion worse.

If you use olbas or anything mentholy make sure it is just one or two drops on a cloth and that it is not too near the baby's cot.

A warm humid dnvironment will help soften what's there and a gentle aspirator can then remove it.The main problem is that babies' nasal cavities are quite large and the part you can seeis really just the tip of the iceberg,so even a few minutes after clearing the nose will fill up again quickly.

A damp face cloth or small dish of water on radiator will keep air from being too dry and if you tilt the head of the baby's cot slightly it will help the nasal passages to drain more effectively.

Other than that waiting it out is all you can do and remember most babies get lots of cold type viruses in their first year,when one seems to be dragging on for a long time it is quite often two or three strung together.

Hope it improves soon,sorry this was such a long reply!

• Options

what is solution of the stuffy nose of a down syndrome baby???