Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Brown sugar and water????

Hi girlies,

I am going to give my lo some brown sugar with (cooled) boiling water just wondering if anyone has done this and how much to mix, how much water and how much sugar?

Thanks in advance xx :\)

Replies

• Options
    hi

just wondering why you would give your baby water with sugar in it??? image

imo i'd give just cooled boiled water on it's own... theres no need for sugar as all it does is fill them with empty calories, gets them used to sweet stuff at an early age and rots their gums & the tiny bits of teeth they have.

xx
  • Options
    Hi wenders sorry i didnt explain myself ive still got preg brain and forgot!! My lo is really struggling to go to the toilet and she hasent been for days and when she does she looks like she is going to blow up lol!!! I have tried cool boiled water and orange juice and moving her legs in cycle motion and was told on here this would work?

Do you think it would help or if there are any other suggestions i am happy to try them as i feel so bad for her she has really bad tummy pain and food is not going down well as she must be so bloated.

Thanks xx
  • Options
    I will give it a try anything to help her poor little soul but as you said i am a bit dubious of it as she is only 14 weeks so i think i will go and get her weighed on tuesday and check with the hv if the juice is not helped by then . Thanks for the reply x
  • Options
    Hello again....

Spoke to my aunty (used to work in childrens hospital and on maternity wards) and she said that the brown sugar really does work but u only need the tiniest bit about half a teasoon if that.

Might try this with Shayla- anyway, baby juice has sugar in it too so im sure it will be ok if u dont use too much
    Hope this works for u, poor Macey
    Hannah xx
  • Options
    Yeh i looked on this site and someone said half a teaspoon and 4 oz of cooled boiled water does this sound about right? I dont like to do it but i will not give it to her all the time just when she seems constipated its just she is also not eating a lot at the moment as well as i think she is so full up in her tummy. Will give it a go next week x
  • Options
    sounds about right yeah hun xx
  • Options
    hi kirsty

Well constipation is something i know about as my eldest son has perminant constipation and is on meds all the time for it. :\)

Personally i'd go with the prune juice, or to the gp's and get some lactulose.

Just a question... have you started weaning or changed the milk that caused the probs?? sometimes it's good to go back a few steps to find the cause as well as it could happen again, although sometimes it can come from nowhere! :\)

daniel was terrible when we started to meats, so I'd make sure i'd only give him meats every other day and only beef once a week to give his bowels time to sort it out (nice! :\) )

goodluck, xx
    ps. I would say try syrup of figs (calfig) but I don't think you can use it until they're 12 months old. x

[Modified by: wenders on November 11, 2007 09:40 PM]
  • Options
    Hi

I tried all the solutions for constipation and none worked for my LO but was advised half a teaspoon of brown sugar to 3 or 4 oz of cooled boiled water.
  • Options
    just wanted to say sillymoo ur baby is so gorgeous.... should be entered into a baby modelling comp xx
  • Options
    I have used the sugar water with Ellie now for 2 weeks and even though her movements are still very hard she dosnt seem to have the same problem passing them. Sorry if tmi. She is only 3 weeks old tomarrow but im having real problems and if she misses her bottle of sugar water a day she cant pass any poo for the entire next day. Im a nurse and dont understand how sugar makes you poo any better but whatever works. x
  • Options
    Sugar and water does work for some babies, unless you're my lo of course lol, if that doesn't work go to the GP and get some lactulose should do the trick, hope your lo is better soon! image

• Options
    Lactulose is sugar syrup. So it will work the same as sugar water. My lo is 24 days old and after 2 weeks of bf had to put her on bottle and she suffered with constipation and gave her sugar water, half teaspoon in 4oz of cooled boiled water worked a treat. Now give her 2/3 bottles of 4oz of water a day and one of them I'll add sugar, although I've reduced it down to 1/4 teaspoon.

Lactulose softens stools and makes them easier to pass and the sugar water does the same, it's just water rather than syrup.

Gem.xx
  • Options
    Thanks for that girls i will do this starting tomorrow i have been giving her cow and gate apple and orange juice diluted but she only goes to toilet every 3 days so just waiting to see what happens tomorrow ! All i can say it im not looking foward to it could be a big explosion in essex lol!!
  • Options
    Hi girlies,

I am going to give my lo some brown sugar with (cooled) boiling water just wondering if anyone has done this and how much to mix, how much water and how much sugar?

Thanks in advance xx :\)

Just as a bit of reassurance that this does work and that the medical establishment doesn't know everything, I'm on day 3 of giving my daughter brown sugar water despite the horrified protests of the on call doctor and it does work. Apparently no one in the American medical establishment believes that anything will work if it didn't come from the pharmacy and and cost far more than it needed to.

My problem was two fold. My daughter needs a vitamin drop and my insurance only covered one with iron unless otherwise stated by the doctor in advance and she was getting Mylanta for reflux until the Zantac kicks in (it takes about 2 weeks). This constipated her terribly and something that couldn't be given up or changed over the weekend without a trip to the emergency room. My English MIL suggested the brown sugar water as something regularly given to her kids when they were little for the same problem. It worked wonders. I use a higher dose just to get more calories into my daughter since she is already having weight gain issues. 1 tbsp per 4 ounces of water. She will take 2 ounces of it after she is done with a 3 to 4 ounce bottle of breast milk.

The pediatrician on call from my doctors who finally called me back to say keep giving her the meds because doctors know best even if they don't have to listen to the gas and shite filled baby wail in pain from these problems. Their solution was go buy a product from the store which amounted to calorie wise the equivalent of 1 part corn syrup to 1 part. When they called back to check on the baby, they told me quote unquote aren't I glad I gave up on the anecdotal medicine in favor of real medicine. The doctor started to stutter and hasn't called back since I told her where she could stick her bottle of $5.00 an ounce sugar water...

Baby Sarah is doing fine and her dad is actually getting a bit more sleep at night thanks to brown sugar water.
  • Options
    Hey hun,

I had to reply as my little one has not been to the loo since Thurs and she is just over 10 weeks, since 4 weeks she has only been going about once every 5/6 days but really seems in pain with it and I have tried everything but sugar water. To be honest I thought well it cant be good for them, but really like someone else said lactulose,orange juice,calpol they all have sugar in and these are used to get baby to go.

I think I may try this sugar/water as she is was so upset yesterday wtih tummy ache!!

xxx Hope it works for your lo xx
  • Options
    I used Brown sugar water with my LO when she was about 2 1/2 weeks and it worked for her i put 1/2 tsp in approx 4oz (cooled) boiled water and she took about 1oz... the next morning hey presto one very dirty nappy!! (and a happy baby too)
  • Options
    I tried it when lo was about 5 weeks & was constipated & it worked an absolute treat. I used 1/2 a teaspoon in 6oz water. xx
  • Options
    hi, this really does work i used to do it with my dd but someone said about banana's. dont give banana's to anyone who's constpated they bind you. a bit of grated apple would be better. xx
  • Options

Brown sugar and water when prune juice isn't cutting it was the advise from my pediatrician.  LO is 6 weeks and worked a charm today.  Used 1/4 tsp brown sugar to 2 oz water.  Pediatrician explained that the combo draws water into the bowels which softens the stool making it easier to pass.