Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

my baby won't sleep

I don't really know what to do and need some advice! Lily has been awake since 7pm last night. She finally fell asleep at 3am. In that time she had about 15 mins sleep only. She woke at 5.30am had her feed then slept till 8.15am. She ate at 8.30am then went for a sleep at 9.15am. She woke again at 9.45am and is still awake now. She's not hungry, has no dirty bum but she will randomly just cry out. She is wide awake now just like last night. She is like it most nights from 10.30pm - 2.30am but last night was just awful. Am soooo tired.

What can I do?? Oh, she's 3 weeks old.
Louise
xx

Replies

• Options
    She has a bath about 7 - 7.30pm each night and then we put her down but she never sleeps for long - maybe 5 mins or so! Then she's awake again.

She plays during the afternoon and first thing in the morning. You can see she's tired but she fights sleep!
    xx
  • Options
    Forgot to say, once she does nod off at night she can sleep for up to 5 hours without waking!
    xx
  • Options
    Have you tried swaddling her? The only time I have struggled to settle Barney (4 weeks) at night was when I left his swaddle off because it was so hot. He really wouldn't settle but as soon as I put the swaddle on he went out like somebody had flicked a switch. It stops him thrashing about and waving his arms and legs so I think he feels more secure, it works for us in the day as well, I put him in his cot about 10 mins ago awake but swaddled up and (touch wood!) he seems to have gone off to sleep so it worth a try.
    xx
  • Options
    Hi

My SIL suggested that and I did it while we stayed in hospital , I found it did work. I haven't done it for a while though because it has been so hot in our house (nearly 27 degrees some nights) and I didn't want her to get too hot. Have been and bought a light cotton sheet to try and do it with her tonight...providing it's not too hot again! It worries me when it is so hot when we go up to bed, even with windows open and fan on!
  • Options
    i cant think what they are called but the blankets with the holes in are good for swaddling. If tyler wont sleep i strip him down to a nappy and swaddle him in 1 of those.

Does Lily use a dummy? or if not would u be willing to try her with 1?

Elaine and boys xx
  • Options
    CELLULAR BLANKETS!! thats it!! image
  • Options
    I agree with Katielou that a routine is essential!
    However some babies find it hard to settle, routine or not. Will Lily have a dummy? Gabe will hardly ever take a dummy - however, if he's finding it hard settling on his own (normally in the day), I put some gripe water on a dummy and he will suck it and go to sleep. It works wonders when hes overtired. I think babies like the taste of gripe water...and the sucking settles them...Lily is too young for gripe water (it's from 4 weeks old) however im sure a little dab of it on a dummy might help xx