Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby Gaviscon...advice needed

Hi everyone,

Isabelle has just been prescribed baby gaviscon for her reflux and the instructions advise that when making it up I need to put it in a bottle with at least 8oz of milk. However Isabelle is only on 6oz, so am I ok to add it to 6oz or do I need to start to make up 8oz bottles?

Thanks

Replies

• I had the same problem, Kenny was only taking 5oz so to be cautious I only used 1 sachet. He was soon downing these so increased it to 7oz and now use both sachets. I hope the Gaviscon helps Isabelle.
  • Thanks Denise, I think I will do the same. I will be starting her on it first thing tomorrow so fingers crossed that it helps!!

Did you find that it helped Kenny? And if so how long did it take for you to notice a difference?
  • He is still a little sick sometimes, mostly mornings as he is starving after sleeping 12 hours. I can take his bib off more often but now its the dribbles getting his top wet! lol The washing machine is getting a break too without 4 changes a day or have I just mastered the art of catching puke!

Contact your pharmacy to double check thats what you have to do with the Gaviscon.
  • I put 2 sachets into a 7oz feed. Gracie's back on it again after various other meds not working. Now i know she can have it in thickened milk too, it seems better....fingers crossed and touchwood! When gracie was first on it, i noticed a difference straight away. Hope you do too x
  • Thanks for the help. I am really hoping that it helps as it is getting quite stressful at feeding times.

Another question... when is best to add the gaviscon to the milk? Do you do it after you have heated it up?
  • Hello.. ive been using gaviscon on Mia since she was 6 weeks old.. again only using 1 sachet in a 5oz bottle.. I heat up water then shake then add formula... improvement has been brilliant only down side is poos are now much more solid.. have also been using a wedge in her cot which again has appeared to help. How old is your little one?
  • Hi,

Isabelle is 3 months old and I have just given her her feed with the gaviscon in and she drank nearly all of it which she very very rarely does. She drank half at first (which is what she would normally do) but then she would normally stop but this time when I offered her the bottle again she happily drank it without any fussing.

I really hope this means that it has started to work straight away and she will now be more settled after her feeds!

Can't decide if I want more solid poos or not (lol), her poos were already quite solid as have been giving her dentinox as thought she had colic.
  • hi.. my little one is almost 3 months and is now nearly never sick and appears much more settled after her feeds the only problem we are having now is she doesnt seem to be taking as much milk!! she now has between 3-4 oz 3 hrly during the day.. how much does Isabelle take?