Forum home Babies Baby

infant gaviscon and constipation??

Hi ladies

my baby (4 weeks on sunday) has been taking infant gaviscon since monday. just one sachet max 6 feeds in 24 hours. she has not had a poo for 24 hours now. she still seems well and has wet nappies after every feed. should i be worried after only 24 hours?? do you think it might be the gaviscon bunging her up?? any tips to get things moving in a baby so young or should I wait a bit do you think?? i would ring the health visitor but they don't work fridays (and she is a cow any way!!).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Replies

• Hi Lynda, Ashton is on invant gaviscon too and was constipated after taking it for a couple of days. He was under the care of a pediatriction at the hospital who said just to monitor it for a week. However he started to really cry after having a poo and I noticed a little blood in his poo's so they have now given me lactulose (sp) to give him. If you are worried at all speak to your gp if you don't like the health visitor. Remeber that some babies don't poo everyday so I would wait another day before doing anything unless she is in pain. Tammi & AShton xxx
  • Hi hun,

Infant gaviscon is notorious for causing constipation! My lo got horrendously constipated and we had to stop the gaviscon. He was on it at 6 weeks old - so not much older than your lo. Try some cooled boiled water, and if your lo won't take water and you're formula feeding, you could try watering down the feeds for 24 hours to try and get things moving. My GP said it was fine to do this for 24 hours at a time and won't harm your lo - so instead of doing say 5 scoops to 5oz water, you would drop a scoop and do 4 scoops to 5oz water.
    Bottom line if you are worried speak to HV or GP. I also found NHS Direct really helpful for advice.

hth. xxxxxxxx.
  • i have a friend who has a baby she is 3months old d little pet has reflux but is on gaviscon nearly 3months im abit wryed but dnt want 2 interfre with it but im concerned d baby is takein it 4 so lng she is ok at sleepin durnin d day but up screamin half d nite and gets hard 2 go 4 a poo and when she does she just screams is it normal 4 d baby 2 b takein gaviscon this lng???