Forum home Babies Baby

a foody question

Hi girls, i will post this in toddler too but it's generally quieter on that forum! sorry if it's long

Evie is now 14months and a good little eater.She doesnt tend to eat huge meals, but eats most things that i give her. Since starting weaning she's had mostly homemade things, starting with purees then getting more adventurous.

She now has the lumpiest foods but i'm starting to become reliant on jars, i do occasionally make a batch of food to be frozen but i feel my home made stuff is getting boring and lacking in imagination. She does eat loads of finger foods like sandwiches, fruit, biscuits... well, anything really!

I just feel like i've come to a point where i need to go to the next stage with her food but i don't know what that stage is! How old is too old to be eating jars of baby food? i know that she'd be capeable of eating anything my OH and i eat, but we don't tend to eat very healthily, more often than not we eat processed junk from the freezer, and i don't want her to eat like us! I don't feel like i'd have the time to make all of her meals fresh at the time she eats it, but if i was to make batches of more adult food to freeze i just would not know what to make :roll: i'm at a loss with it!

She's so used to having "saucy" foods that i just don't know where to go with it now. maybe i should buy a book!! help me girls please, i'm starting to feel like she's not getting enough or the right sort of food for her age!

Replies

• Hey Hun,

Annabel Karmel is brillaint for ideas on baby and toddler foods. She has various food ideas upto 10 years and on her wesite she has ways of getting your child to eat, making food more interesting, experimenting etc. Its really good, well worth a look. Her website is:-

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/

HTH image

• You probably will find it easier if you cook different food for yourselves that she can eat. I cook mainly "one pot" dishes, like casseroles, spag bol, macaroni cheese etc (Had chicken enchiladas tonight, yum yum). We will eat it one night, Nathan has it the next day and I also freeze a portion or two for him. That way when we're having something he cant have there is always something in the freezer for him and I dont have to cook especially for him.

I tend to use Jars when we're out as he'll eat them at room temp and if I've defrosted somthing it needs proper reheating.

I do get a bit bored of the dinners I cook so I'm trying to introduce something new once a month. We're doing Jamie Olivers Tikka Masala tommorrow. I'll make oh and dd do it with me for a change over a glass or two of wine. Dont plan on saving any for Nathan though, I couldnt face the nappies, lol!
  • You probably will find it easier if you cook different food for yourselves that she can eat. I cook mainly "one pot" dishes, like casseroles, spag bol, macaroni cheese etc (Had chicken enchiladas tonight, yum yum). We will eat it one night, Nathan has it the next day and I also freeze a portion or two for him. That way when we're having something he cant have there is always something in the freezer for him and I dont have to cook especially for him.

I tend to use Jars when we're out as he'll eat them at room temp and if I've defrosted somthing it needs proper reheating.

I do get a bit bored of the dinners I cook so I'm trying to introduce something new once a month. We're doing Jamie Olivers Tikka Masala tommorrow. I'll make oh and dd do it with me for a change over a glass or two of wine. Dont plan on saving any for Nathan though, I couldnt face the nappies, lol!
  • I know exactly how you feel!!!

Me and OH dont eat 'family' meals enough and when we do it's got sauces on it which are full of salt.

Gabe has gone from getting all jars, to mostly homemade, and now back to mostly jars! He always turns his nose up at the food I make. And I can't be arsed with Annabel Karmel, all the foods are so complicated and use vegetables we never have in the house, also we dont have the freezer space.

Gabe does like a sunday dinner that my mil cooks once a week so he has that and he also sometimes has cauliflour cheese and stuff. And chicken carrot and apple. But...thats about it!!!!

xx
  • I struggle sometimes but to be honest you can't continue to cook seperately for ever. Perhaps you need to look at why you are eating 'junk' and how you can all eat healthy foods. A jacket spud or roast chicken are just as easy to cook. If we are having things which are not suitable I just put a sausage/ fish finger under the grill/ in the oven with ours but Tom has the same pasta/ potatoes etc.
  • Lara your hubby sounds v similar to my oh!! Such a bloody fusspot.

I was thinking of doing something simple and healthy for Gabe like sausages, leeks, mash n gravy, now he eats mashed food and has 4 teeth...would your hubby eat that? fairly quick too.
  • I'm starting to feel a bit like this with Charlotte.
    Have you tried her on anything slightly spicy like chilli con carne mixed with rice or jacket potato. Same for a curry like korma?
    I have the Annable Karmel book and things for toddlers inc fishcakes, burgers, kedgeree, tuna pitta pockets, pizzas, fish pie (which is yummy). All homemade of course!
    The recipes are in her New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner but I think the recipes might be on her website.
  • Well my lo isnt even at weaning age yet but when shes older and im back at work fulltime i plan on making full use of the slow cooker. Then everything is ready when we get home. I use it now to make stews, jacket potatoes or just to cook joints of meat. There is loads you can make in it though like pasta dishes. Maybe you could trying doing something like this then you can all eat the same thing. Also this may stop you eating junk food cos you dont have to wait for it to be ready.
  • Hiya,
    I've given up trying to be imaginitive and gone for fruit and veg variety instead!!

I try to keep some frozen chicken/beef /fish stew type stuff in the freezer - fairly plain - so I can use it as a base and vary it by using different veg and carbs to go with it as it's alot easier to do veg and rice/pasta/potatoes in small amounts each day - although I do try to make up veg combinations for the freezer too.
    Then at least theres something in the freezer and if I come across a recipe I like the sound of that's a bit different I do that now and again.

We eat way later than baby and no chance of her eating what we eat!!

Also, I bought one of those nicer dicer things to cut up veggies in baby bite size pieces - if you love a gadget it's quite a good one.