Forum home Babies Baby

'I formula-fed. SO WHAT? Mother and Baby Article

Replies

• OMG! Anyone read the second article in Tottie's link, the Annabel Venning one? Another prat, this one batting for the other side: Breastfeeding is Great Because Your Boobs Get Massive.
  • Yeah, you're right there PTB lol!

At one point she seems to talk about bf'ing being so fab because she didn't have to wear a bra to a party, and got loads of male attention!! These were not things that concerned me too much when I had my newborns lol! Plus I never would have gone bra-less - can't imagine it really!

• lol ptb, i thought the same, there's mel booney saying how isn't a shame we think about boobs etc over feeding type and then on the same page that other woman saying she couldn't wait to bf her sceond (and even considered becoming a wet nurse) because of the boobs it gave her!

did u read one of the comments, i'm nto sure if i've misread it but it seems someone was syaing she gave birth at 31 weeks and 24 weeks because she didn't wanna carry them anymore and she'd done her job so it was up to medical science to do the rest..or have a i comepletely misunderstood what she was saying?!

"I wasn't comfortable being pregnant so I had my babies early. 31 weeks for the eldest, I tried to go until 24 weeks the second time but the doctors made me go a bit longer. I wanted my body back, it's not selfish to not want to carry the babies I'd created, I'd done my bit medical science can do the rest."

if she's saying what i think she's saying (that she deliberately went in to prem labour because she'd had enough and it was no longer her job, then i'm dumbfounded!
  • Wowbaby I didn't actually read the comments but OH. MY. GOD!!!!

Astoundingly selfish!
    xx
  • The article was written out of GUILT that much is evident!

The writing is not in the slightest bit intelligent, and not only insults BF's and FF's it insults Women! Like we're all walking around wanting to be Jordan et al. Perky breasts, false tan and bottle of wine! Wrong magazine! She's been watching too much sex in the city and thinks she's Carry Bradshaw writing her column!

If you are going to write such and article, you need to do so in a 'For and Against' format - YOU MUST show both sides of the coin.

Some may only buy one magazine and that is what they get?? So wrong!

There are ladies who FF because a valid reasons, this woman doesn't have valid reasons and so writes an article to make herself feel better, whilst causing potential damage to the mind set of nervous Mums who are not sure if they should give BF'ing a go.

Kathryn Blundell - YOU SELFISH PRAT!! I'm glad your not my mother

• Oh here we go again, breast feeding is a natural function bla de bla de bla - so is the bottle!!!! you have your husband hanging off it one night and your baby the next, we don't all want to see it thank you - it should be done in private and public spectators should be respected just as much! Now my children are grown up my breasts ARE for me and my husbands play time and I dont wish to see it in public, it's disgusting. All this tripe about a baby should be fed when it's hungry - I never once didi it in public and my baby came to no harm, in fact the bottle has done them no harm either!!!!!!!
    - MAXINE, LONDON, 29/6/2010 8:

Its no surprise this is the worst rated comment. WHAT A WA*KER!!
  • Argh, I can't stop reading the coments now, I want to go and headbutt some of them haha!
  • hah full milk boobs and no bra! where did she put her breast pads? when my boobs were so full they didn't need a bra, that suually meant i would pretty soon be leaking all over the shop! x
  • The article was written out of GUILT that much is evident!

The writing is not in the slightest bit intelligent, and not only insults BF's and FF's it insults Women! Like we're all walking around wanting to be Jordan et al. Perky breasts, false tan and bottle of wine! Wrong magazine! She's been watching too much sex in the city and thinks she's Carry Bradshaw writing her column!

If you are going to write such and article, you need to do so in a 'For and Against' format - YOU MUST show both sides of the coin.

Some may only buy one magazine and that is what they get?? So wrong!

There are ladies who FF because a valid reasons, this woman doesn't have valid reasons and so writes an article to make herself feel better, whilst causing potential damage to the mind set of nervous Mums who are not sure if they should give BF'ing a go.

Kathryn Blundell - YOU SELFISH PRAT!! I'm glad your not my mother

well said!!! Completely agree.

I FF also but there is no way I would write/say/do anything that could put other women off of BF. Its irresponsible & poorly written. I am surprised it was even given the ok to be published.
  • I can't really take her seriously to be honest, she is a hypocrite. She talks about how there is pressure to breastfeed and how others look down on ff, yet she is perfectly happy to talk that way about bf?? I would have more respect for her if she just said bf is great but it's not for me. She also talked about the benefits firstly that it was cheaper and easier (I don't think this is anyones main reason to choose to bf) then health benefits to mum and forgot about the benefits to the baby?? I don't think I have ever heard anyone call formula powdered scum and I find the story in the park hard to believe.agreed no one should judge another parents choice but that's kinda what she's doing too so the point is lost. I think she's trying to be funny but she's just a bit of a divvy! X
  • Yet another response article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/women_shealth/7860205/Does-a-lover-really-have-first-claim-on-breasts.html

AND have you read the M&B magazines response to all this!! Very weak, if it was meant to be an apology it wasn't! Written in a similarly un-intelligent way, its just insulting!

http://www.askamum.co.uk/News/Search-Results/Current-news/Why-I-spoke-out-about-breastfeeding/Post.aspx

[Modified by: Fairythalia on June 30, 2010 04:50 PM]

• i've read the article, and i've read the defence she wrote afterwards.
    Both pieces, i think make her look like a PRAT.
    The humour covers up her real feelings and the satire is frankly pathetic.
    Strangely enough, my boobs managed to feed my babies and be "fun bags" they knew which was which and so did I.
  • I personally think it's about time someone says how they truly feel about breastfeeding. I think there is a huge amount of pressure on women nowadays to BF, and for some people it just doesn't work out. It doesn't make you a bad mum, nor does it mean you won't bond with your baby, yet these are the sort of things you hear if you don't BF!

I get that the style in which she wrote it won't suit everyone, but it's a refreshingly honest view on a very controversial topic and I'm so glad that someone has spoken out about it!

I struggled with thinking my boobs were for sexual use whilst i was pregnant but once my baby arrived, it was completely natural to try and get her to feed from them. So although I don't fully agree with her comment on them being 'fun bags', i can understand what she means.

There is a guilt attached to formula feeding, and that shouldn't be the case. A mother should be able to make a decision on how she feeds HER child with no fear of being judged.

Maybe if more people spoke out about BF, both in positive AND negative ways, then the pressure on new mums would be relieved. Instead, all we ever hear is positive BF stories, so the pressure to do it is ridiculously high , and often (certainly in my case) mums can feel like they've failed as a caring mum if they can't exclusively BF. I cried constantly for two weeks as it wasn't working out, and had I not had support from my partner and family that BF wasn't the be all and end all I honestly think I may have ended up with PND as a result of the guilt I felt. Surely that's worse for my daughter than formula feeding?!

I'm sure my opinions will be completely different to many of yours and I hope I don't offend anyone. I just feel that the BF vs FF debate should be more fair.

Parenting styles aren't forced onto new parents, so why should how you feed you child be?!
  • omfg at the woman haveing her babies early to get her body back wtf!

• "I wasn't comfortable being pregnant so I had my babies early. 31 weeks for the eldest, I tried to go until 24 weeks the second time but the doctors made me go a bit longer. I wanted my body back, it's not selfish to not want to carry the babies I'd created, I'd done my bit medical science can do the rest."

?? How is this even possible? Can you actually put yourself into premature labour?? Crazy. :\?
  • I'm pretty sure she's a troll..well of she's not she's a bloody idiot!
  • idl, perhaps she tried all the things most try when at full term, or maybe even castor oil, hot baths etc.... x
  • I think that woman might (hopefully) made a badly worded joke about having babies early to keep her figure and things ... same as the original article concentrates on vanity.
  • Hey, I'm gatecrashing (again!), because I read that article before it got "hot" and thought it was dreadful.

Here I am, nearly into my third trimester. I have always assumed that I would breastfeed because that is what my mum did, but the more I read about it the more it seems like everyone is determined that I will fail at it. Even articles that are meant to be supportive bang on and on about all the things that can go wrong. Plus they never seem to give adequate ways of solving the issues - it's always "look at the way you are latching on". I even bought an NCT book which claimed to be a starters guide but it was anything but (not one photography or diagram to illustrate how to latch on, but lots of emphasis on how important latching on is).

On the subject of the NHS - I have a "feeding workshop" in a couple of months which lasts precisely ONE HOUR, in which they will also talk about ff and how to sterilise bottles and stuff. Now how on earth is that long enough???

Anyway, to get to my point....I am an educated, strong woman and I know that breastfeeding will be hard but I still want to give it a go. But everywhere I look it seems like society is willing me to not even try it! If I wasn't me (ie stubborn!) I could well be out right now stocking up on formula and totally giving up on the idea of breastfeeding.

Frankly I found that article deeply offensive - the remarks about sagging boobs and wanting her life back - like bf'ing mums are some sort of a-sexual antisocial idiots. How rude! Imagine the backlash if it had been written the other way round. I think bf'ing mums are justified in their annoyance.

• Moonandstars, I think if you get the right support from the midwives when you give birth and when you get home that will go a long way to helping. And if you dont come up against some of the problems that people encountered in the other bf thread then sometime sheer bloodymindedness will be enough to get you past the initial hurdles. I know it did for me. When you go to the NHS class ask if they have a breastfeeding choices booklet, I got given two and they were by far the best sources of information I had, very informative with good pictures and diagrams.

Good luck with it when the time arrives anyway, dont lose heart, there is plenty of amazing support out there in various forms!