Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Nappy rash help needed!

Hi. My lo has had napy rash for coming up to a month now. I didn't realise it has been so long. She never had it until I started using washable nappies. I've now gone back to disposibles and change them frequently. She has nappy off time twice a day, I tried vaseline, sudocrem, calendula cream and zinc and red clover which do improve it then she'll have another bad day. If it's thrush does anyone know what the GP would prescibe as I have some 2% canesten left over from pregnancy I could try. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks x x

Replies

• Options
    I'd take her in to see your gp. My lo had nappy rash when I used disposables rather than washables (just showsyou they are all different!) & my gp prescribed her a stronger nappy rash cream.
  • Options
    May very well be thrush I would not use nything that has not been prescribed for baby. Regarding the reusable nappies could it be the wash powder. I have been using bepanthen cream which is fantastic would really recommend.
  • Options
    how old is she? my lo has terrible rash when teething and it bleeds and gets little holes in his skin, luckily he is on his last tooth now so it should stop, if it's as bad as that i would get doc to prescribe something. xx good luck
  • Options
    tesco's nappy cream - more delicate than sudocrem but just as effective. either that or when you finish cleanig just before you put a new nappy on rub talc on, it helps keep it dry, in all those skin folds that hold the moisure sometimes, for longer and doesnt affect the nappy absorpancy.

xxx
  • Options
    have you tried changing the baby wipes you use the only time my daughter got it was if i used anything other than huggies pure wipes
  • Options
    hi i wouldnt use the canesten 2% the one i got for my lo was 1%.
  • Options
    Thanks for suggestions. I don't use baby wipes only cotton wool and water and she is 17 weeks. I think she may be teething but didn't know that could cause nappy rash? I should go to Gp, it's just getting the app. Will make the effort mon, am feeling like a really bad mother!
  • Options
    don't feel like a bad mother babies suffer from nappy rash you are changing regular, not using wipes gosh i would be lost without a pack of wipes and doing what you can maybe they will deal with this sort of thing at the baby clinic if you take lo to be weighed don't know how it works in your area.
  • Options
    Thanks, you just do you very best to care for lo and feel you are failing when you see a red angry bum. Can I buy bepenthen over the counter?
  • Options
    yes you can buy bepenthen over counter i get mine from tesco...
  • Options
    metanium is fantasic it will be gone within a fews days x
  • Options
    hi,
    my lo had thrush on his bum. it looks like blisters that have burst sort of. i got some cream from the docs it is called Clotrimazole 1%.i do believe you can use canisten cream but only the 1% stuff as 2% is too strong for baby.
    if its not thrush then i agree with some of the others, metanium is fantastic. my eldest suffered with nappy rash something wicked and i tried practically everything on the market and found this to be best.
    i think some babies just have more sensitive bottoms than others. my eldest was a really clean baby and would scream the house down if she filled her nappy so never got left dirty and she suffered with it bad. my second child was more than content to sit in it so would only get changed when i checked him and realised he was dirty, he never suffered with a rash once!
  • Options
    honestly don't feel like a bad mum, it's just one of those things,my lo is 18 months old now and as i said he has it really bad. someone did mention that it might have been that his wee was to strong and to give him water, but it seemed to be his poo that gave him the rash. good luck
  • Options
    yeah i found it was poo that caused rashes too. my eldest was like your son michelle605, she used to get little holes in her skin it was that bad. the metanium sorted it out a treat though, its quite chalky so neautralises the acid causing the problem quick.
    Something else thats good for nappy rash, fresh air. take the nappy off and lay her on an old towel for a bit every day.
    by the way you are not a bad mum because your lo has nappy rash, loads and loads of babies get it.
    xx
  • Options
    teething babies defo get nappy rash as increased saliva in the mouth, means more acid in the pooh/wee - which causes the skin to get sore. Change really regularly, wash & ensure totally dry, then apply tons of cream as a barrier against further poo/wee acid. my lo always got rash with washable nappies too, they just made him too wet, disposables sucked/kept all the wet off his skin. xx