Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Stage 3 Milk

Hi everyone

Could someone please tell me whether stage 3 milk is necessary or not?? Poppy is almost 6 months and when I was buying her formula (??8.02 for stage 2 Aptamil!) today I noticed that stage 3 is from 6 months.
My mum said that when I was younger, mums were told to give cows milk from 6 months! How things change eh?!
Thanks everyone!
xx

Replies

• Options
    my hv said follow in milks were only designed coz formular isnt allowed to be advertised and coz the govenment is only promoting bf untill 6 months follow ons can be advertised. im sure theres a slight difference but either of them are fine untill you can give cows milk.

• Options
    Hi Donna,

Well i started giving Shayla Aptamil stage 3 when she was about 6 and a half months but my HV said that as long as they are having three meals a day they will be getting plenty of iron and u can stick to what they are happy with and do need to change to follow on Milk. Shayla too was on stage 2 for hungrier babies. I chose to switch anyway as i thought it would be best plus she has full fat cows milk in cheese sauce and things and she has been fine. It works out best for her anyway as she eats her solids better where she is less full up and I also found it works out cheaper for stage 3 which helps

Hannah xx
  • Options
    QUOTE:
    "HV said that as long as they are having three meals a day they will be getting plenty of iron and u can stick to what they are happy with and do need to change to follow on Milk".

Sorry- i meant "do NOT need to change to follow on milk"
    xx
  • Options
    i switched to stage 3 when my lo turned 6mths, but then i also cut down how many bottles he has because of him having his 3 meals a day. He seems satisfied with this.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Just got to work out now how to cut out bottles! At the moment she is bottle fed at 7.30am, 11.30am, 3.30pm, 7.30pm and 10.30pm, she has solids at 9.00am and 5pm.
    Anyone any ideas?!!
    xx
  • Options
    Shayla has something about every couple of hours/three hours at the most so she is eating little an often. If u give Poppy a bottle of say 4oz when she has had solids two hours ago she isnt going to be too fussed if she doesn't feel really hungry to begin with but then all babies are different. Shayla has reacted the same as debs LO did. I cut down on fourth bottle last week after having shayla weighed and realising she had piled it on and since cutting down she has been OK and seems satisfied.
    You could try giving Poppy lunch at 12 if she would stretch to an extra half hour and cut out the 11.30am bottle and move the 3:30 bottle half hour forward to 3pm so she is having three meals a day and 3 bottles. Thats what im doing- Shayla has 18oz milk and solids at 9am 12pm and then 5pm and her bottles are at 7.30-8am 3pm and 7pm

Hope this helps u a bit

Hannah xx
  • Options
    It's all very confusing isn't it?!! I will try that tomorrow Hannah and see how we get one!
    Thank you.
  • Options
    I really only changed Olivia onto Aptimal stage 3 after she was 6 months because it was cheaper. She is on 3 good meals a day.
  • Options
    Hiya Donna,

Ellis was on similar feeds as poppy (he's nearly 8months now) I use cow and gate prem, HV also said that I didn't need to change milk if he was happy on it. I cut out his 11.30 bottle out first, then when he had his lunch I gradually increased his portion size then added a pudding. When I gave him his 3.30 bottle I only offered him 4oz of milk. I found that he took more food at tea time and gradually at the advise of my HV I have now dropped his afternoon bottle. Heres our feeding routine.

7.00am 9oz bottle
    8.00am porridge with full fat milk
    small finger food (ricecake)
    12.00am savory and petits filous
    small finger food
    4.00pm savory and fruit
    7.00pm 9oz bottle

He also drinks water from his tommee tippee cup during the day

Sorry it's so long winded, not sure if it will help you.
    Lynds
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. She woke at 7.30 this morning and I gave her a 5oz bottle (all she would take), I'm going to give her breakfast at half nine ish then cut out the 11.30am bottle and give her lunch instead and go from there!
    xx
  • Options
    Hi Donna

Just wondering how the two of u got on today after exchanging the bottle for solids??

Hannah xx
  • Options
    Hi Hannah

She was fine! I gave her some pureed stuff I had in the freezer for lunch , bottle at 3pm, dinner at 5.15 and bottle at 7.15 before bed. She was fine all day, no whinging cos she was hungry and she finished her bottles (except the last one). I will still wake her at 11 to give her her dream feed, I can't face getting up at 3am!! I will have to work on cutting the dream feed out next!
    Thanks for everything
    xx
  • Options
    Hi donna, i changed to stage 3 milk but macey is on farleys i have cut her bottles down to 4 5oz bottles a day and HV said this was fine with her solids. Just a question have you tried not giving poppy her dream feed as looking at what she eats and drinks she should go through the night from 7 - 7.30pm and it then saves you waking her and you could get an early night? Sorry hope you dont think im poking my ore in just a thought i droped Maceys dreamfeed bottle when she was about 4-5 months and for the first couple of nights she woke up but i put the dummy in and she went back to sleep til 7am !!!! I was well impressed and now i can go to bed at 8 oclock its fab. xx
  • Options
    HI kirsty - course I don't think you are poking your 'ore' in!! I asked for help! I've tried a few times to cut out the dream feed but she wakes at about 1.30am, sometimes she'll go as long as 3am but she screams the house down!! However, now she is having lunch as well I'm going to stop it and I guess I'll have a few nights of screaming but it'll be worth it!! I'm going to start on Monday as that gives her a few days to get used to having lunch as well.
    Thanks!!
    xx
  • Options
    Glad Poppy has taken well to the three meals a day now. Hope u are as successful with cutting out the dreamfeed. Like Kirsty said- she really shouldn't need another bottle now if she is on solids and at least 18oz milk a day, she is old enough now to take more during the day so she doesn't wake during the night. Hope this is the case for u anyway when u try it Monday. Good Luck!!

Hannah xx
  • Options
    She's just a greedy little pig!! She finishes her 7oz bottle every night at her dream feed - I'm going to have my fingers tightly crossed cos I don't think I could cope with middle of the night get ups anymore!! Especially not cos I go back to work on 1st April!!
    xx