Forum home Babies Baby

Farleys rusks good or bad?

ok so while every one has suchstrong feelings on what we feed our children what are every ones feeling s on farleys rusks? Daisy is a nightmare with milk and i am really struggling to get her to drink it so have to hide it in foods but there is only so much youcanhide inthree meals a day!! So every day i give her after her morning milk or as a snck in the afternoon a farleys rusk with cube of fruit and an ouce of milk. i stupidly thought i was doing a good thing as it says on box it is an ideal weaning food for babies and each rusk contains 20% of recommended amount of iron. they are reduced sugar and daisyreally enjoys it. To be honest she rarely shows much interest in food so it is so nice to see her open her mouth hungrily for anything other than apple bloodey puree!!!!!! She refuses yoghurts and fromage frais of any description and every ounce of milk counts but on a thread recentlysomeone commented on how muchsugar is contained in a rusk !!!! so am now thinking maybee its not such a clveer idea.Im not going to stop giving it her just wondered what every one thought. It can be confusing cus on box it says reduced sugar so you think it is fine . i have ti say a lot of the fromage frais s are full of sugar too , but they are also seento be good baby foods.

Replies

• Thankyou Lindsay that is very helpful daisy is chicken mad and not really liking my beef dinners but will eat jars of beef stuff does this count? she eats my bolognaise is theirmuch iron in minced beefsorry dumb question. She eats loads and loads of fruitso gets vit c and i hide weetabix infruit puree does that contain iron.
  • Lindsay is absolutely right about the iron from red meat being easier to absorb, however i have been a vegetarian all my life and my mum and dad and granma and grandad (when they were alive) were veggies all their adult life and none of us have ever been anemic so goes to prove you can get adequate amount of iron from other iron enriched veg and cereals, it's not as easy to absorb as red meat but i shouldn't worry too much if Daisy doesn't like beef xxx
  • Sod Rusks. Give em a Greggs pasty.
  • Gabe has farleys rusks and he quite likes them. I've heard most babies don't like rice so I haven't bothered with it. On reading this though, I will buy the reduced sugar ones I think!

I also heard rusks have gluten in them so you shouldnt give them under 6 months?? But they say 4-6 months and I've been giving them since 4 months...

• Oh yes I LOVE rusks too. Made with whole milk. Sadly I am on a diet so it is skimmed milk and no rusks for me booo.

Thats very interesting about the gluten. I must say I agree with the theory behind it, that the longer you avoid certain foods, the greater risk of allergies etc....

And another thing...baby yoghurts say they're from 4 months, but HV said No dairy until 6 months?!

Gabe is only having rusks or cereal at the moment but just so i know for future reference!
  • Lily never liked rusks with milk but when she got bigger they were good as she could feed herself half a one every few days, just to get her used to holding food.

They are sugary but as I had a baby who would drink v. little milk I know how important it is to get some down them! So don't feel bad if she has rusks, she prob doesn't have anything else with much sugar.

Tiger Lily, I gave Lily fromage frais from 4 months and got no adverse affects. Will give Evie them once I start giving her a proper lunch, probably next couple of weeks.

xxx
  • Sod Rusks. Give em a Greggs pasty.

LOL!

I think Rusks are probably similar to other biscuits. Currently companies can label anything as low sugar if it has 30% (i think) less sugar than the original version. Obviously though if the original is packed with sugar then even low sugar varieties can have a lot.

I initially thought I wouldnt give them to Nathan but am so excited about when I wean him that I'm sure there will be some naughty little treats sneaking in.

• I give my LO low sugar rusks for breakfast about twice a week. On other days he has weetabix, baby muesli or toast and always has fruit & yoghurt. I also give him apple & spelt biscuits or baby biscotti as a snack sometimes. I think it is about all things in moderation image