Forum home Babies Baby

Moving to a forward facing car seat at 7 months

Today we have fitted a forward facing seat to our car, as my daughter's head is now only just below the top of her rear facing car seat.

We've looked around for a bigger rear facing seat, but there aren't any that will fit in our 3 door car.

My wife is still worried as the guidelines state that your child should be 9 months and 20 pounds before you put them in a forward facing seat, however Abby is 7 months old, but at the size and development stage of at least a 9 month old.

My thinking is that given her size and developmental stage, this is the safest thing for her - what do you guys think?

Replies

• how much does she weigh, i think it is recommended to keep them in a rear facing for as long as possibel (but obv. one that is designed for her size) development doesn't effect what car seat they shld be in, whether she can crawl etc doesn't effect how well the seat belts work for example. ds is just about 17lb now and is 8months, he's also ahead development wise but at the mo is still in his group 0 car seat and we're currently looking for the next one up+, but as he puts on around 1lb a month now so the car seat we currently have shldlast him another 3 months, so he'll be 11 months which will make it february. at the mo as long as her weight doesn't exceed what the car seat recommends tghen she'll be fione in the one u have, it only needs replacing if she weighs more than recommended and/or her head comes out over the top.

u may find this website helpful

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/

hth xxx

• it depends on what she weighs ...my daughter is 10 months but only 16Ib odd so cant go in a forward facing yet even though she is old enough and almost walking ......i did a post about it a few weeks ago and every one who replied said the same to me ...dont put her in ff until she is the right weight ...hth xxx
  • As the others have said, I really wouldn't put her forward facing until she's the right weight, and as her head is still below the end of the seat, I'd wait until her head is over the top. If both these happen before the 9 month mark then I would consider switching her, but realistically there is a lot of evidence to keep them rear facing for as long as possible, so if her head isn't over the end at 9 months and she still fits in the seat, then I'd carry on using that for as long as possible.
  • Unless she physically cannot fit in her rear-facing car seat any longer, I really would not put her in a forward-facing until she is the recommended weight.

I'm normally the sort of person who tends to see a lot of restrictions as guidelines, but this is one I personally wouldn't dare to ignore.
  • Thanks for your replies.

With the speed Abby is growing, her head will be popping over the top within the next fortnight.

By development, I was mainly referring to her size but also, how long she has had excellent head control - as she is ahead in all areas, in every way other than age she is (according to the charts and lists) the same as an average 9 month old.

We don't know how much Abby weighs, as she hasn't been weighed in a few weeks, but by my reckoning (and extrapolation of her weight chart) she must be at least 8kg

I'll keep Abby in her rear facing seat for the moment, however it still looks as though I have no option other than using the forward facing one once her head reaches the top.

[Modified by: Abby's Dad on November 29, 2009 09:19 AM]

• Hi,
    My dd has just turned 12 months and is still in her rear-facing. Her head is still below the top of the seat and she is 19lb. We have the next stage on car-seat but still haven't put her in it yet as I think she is still safer in the rear-facing. If you're in any doubt at all about what to do I would take her into a large mothercare or halfords in her rear-facing and ask for some advice. Even if you're not going to buy a seat from them in my experience they're always happy to offer advice. We did this with our dd last month and were advised to keep her in her rear-facing for a while longer.
  • The fitter in Halfords said that she's almost too big for our current seat, and didn't know of any larger rear facing seats that would fit our car, so agreed that the forward facing seat was the only option.
  • don't group 0s go up to 13k? or is that 0+?
  • Hiya, I have had my britax first class rear facinng in my three door corsa but you have to put them in from the opposite side iyswim? so sit on the seat next to the seat with them and put them in that way. the first class is a great seat too and goes ff after x
  • Hi Abbysdad.

I would recomend that you keep Abby in a RF seat until her head actually reaches the top (but from your post - I know this might not be long) if the First Class will fit in your car, then I would recomend that as an option - but I know (from experience) that there are a lot of cars that this seat wont fit in - and it is better to be FF early than in a seat that is incorectly fitted.

Also - it would be lovely to wait until 9 months if you can, but it is far far safer to go FF than to stay in a RF seat that is too small.

HTH
    Nx
  • Another alternative to the Brittax is the Concord Ultimax. They aren't as popular over here (it's a German seat) but they are an excellent seat. They fit in very differently to the Brittax so they fit a much wider range of cars. The Brittax was a horrible fit in my car but the Concord was great, it also sits a little bit lower than most seats so it take up slightly less room which might be an issue in a small car. Barney is a big lad, he outgrew his infant carrier at about 6 months (and 21lb) but he stayed rear facing comfortably in the Concord utill he was over 12 months.
    xx
  • I looked into the concord ultimax a while ago - but (I might be being thick) although I read some very good reviews, I could only find it to buy on-line (unless you happen to live near a smaller shop, that happen to stock it - which I don't) and I couldn't see any information about which cars it will fit in - except that they claim it fit's 95% of cars. Knowinghow awkward my car is to get a car seat into - I wouldn't be a bit suprised if my car was one of the unlucky 5%,

So I was reluctant to spend a lot of money (it is an expensive seat) on something that might not even fit properly, I know this sounds really awful though,

Nx
  • We had to really try to find a stockist!! Fortunately for us there is an excellent baby shop in York (about 20 miles away) that stocks them so we were able to try them in the cars. Don't thind I'd have fancied buying them without seeing them in the car either.
    xx
  • Agree with everyone else about rear facing as long as possible.

However when I went back to work my mum helped out with childcare and rather than get a rear facing seat in her car she got a concord ultimax in her car which he was in, rear facing until 10months.

But the concord didn't fit our car so we bought the Recaro Young Sport for our car and it is a much better fit and he's been in that forward facing from 11months. S x
  • I'm hoping to buy one of Bedhead's Concord Ultimaxes as soon as she's ready to get rid - but have just realised I don't even know if it'll fit in our car.... anyone know how I can find out? We have a new Honda Civic.
  • By the way, I meant a new style Honda Civic (as opposed to the old style ones without the funny-shaped back end), I wasn't just being a massive show-off and saying get me I have a brand new car so nerrrrrrrrrr.
  • Just sent you an email hun!!
    Not sure how you could find out, we had to trek both cars to the shop to make sure they fitted ok. You could try giving the importers a ring, the number is 01273 764744 (I googled it) and see if they can help you, or you could find a local stockist and pretend you are thinking of buying one maybe?
    xx
  • PTB - I tried and tried to find a "fit finder" type thing for the concord ultimax but couldn't. All I could find out is that it will fit 95% of cars. HTH xxxx
  • i cant rate the britax first class enough. infact my daughter went in ours at 8 weeks old and next baby will go in from newborn. Hollie is over 21 lb at 7 months and is still rear facing and will be untill her head pops over the top and she has a longggg way to go (she's tall too)

dont want to shock you but this may help your decision
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo

beccie
  • Thanks Bedhead and nikkiandneil! Will get onto it.

Suz what car do you have? (not being nosey, just wondered as it doesn't fit in yours!)