Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Completely off topic - sorry

Replies

• :lol: Im not a teacher but I hate wrong punctuations!! I did see a teacher use they're the other day when they should have been using their!! pet peeve!
  • you think thats bad...someone i follow on twitter said yesterday 'happy birthday dear hubby, you never seize to amaze me'

i was very close to unfollowingright there and then!
  • ooooo princess that is bad!!!
  • It isn't just the written word. I yell at the radio whenever anyone says 'less' when they mean 'fewer'. Drives me nuts! :lol:
  • I hate it most of all when it is in supposedly 'professional' situations - letters, signs and so on.
  • oh do you know what I really hate? text language! I have a friend that when she texts I have to get hubby to decipher it, I just can't read it!
  • I'm with you, girls, I once took my boyfriend's black eyeliner pencil to a terribly-punctuated poster in The Black Sheep in Croydon... Quite sad on metal night!
  • marlyn mansons biggest pet peeve is bad grammar ykno!
  • could OF, would OF, should OF

aaaarrrrgggghhhhhhh my pet peeve!
  • could OF, would OF, should OF

aaaarrrrgggghhhhhhh my pet peeve!

I hate this too and as an English teacher I see plenty of it! I now really consciously say could have, would have etc.

I also hate when people write seen instead of seeing.

"Seen as I have just said this!"
  • Oooh, I hate that one too, Welsh!!! And 'brought' instead of 'bought'. It's the past tense of bring, dufus!!! You didn't bring it from the shop, unless you're a shoplifter...you paid for it! It's bought!!!!!!
  • this is really funny - i make errors because i type too fast and badly - but i think i am guilty of being a dufus fairly regularly! I dont understand text talk either its quite chavvy
  • In Calleigh's absence: "you're old"

Summer - I know exactly what you mean, remember 'ant'? Damn predictive text!!! That was definitely me being guilty of typing too fast and not reading what I'd actually written!!!
  • again...you are is you're!

Oh, I love these conversations! I hate bad grammar (wait for it - I must have written something wrong on BE somewhere!) and find it really difficult to read without wanting to correct!

Although, the text speak one really gets to me. I have just been marking year 4 and 5 QCA tests and the amount of them that have 'OMG', 'u' or '2' for to, in them are scary!
  • Gemmie, the '2' for to turns up in undergraduate essays, heaven help us! As for typos, I know I have them all over the place - including the three in my book that I missed despite about seven proof-readings. Gah!
  • THG - makes me want to scream! However, undergraduate essays is another matter altogether! I am talking 8 year olds!

I also have typos everywhere. Although I do find myself checking my posts on here. I tell myself that I wont go back to change an obvious typo, but I just cant leave it! I think I have a touch of OCD!
  • My biggest pet peeve is when people say 'some think' instead of 'some thing'. It drives me nuts. I also know someone who says 'pacific' instead of 'specific'?
  • wow this took off! yes, i wouldnt normally point them out as usually it's because we are tired with babies to look after, but i felt i had to reply to the troll. ive read back some of my replies to threads and thought, was i even awake? as they are that full of mistakes!
  • I'm a bit scared to post now in case I type something wrong!image

I'd like to add that I can spell & punctuate but I AM a really rubbish typer...typist!? lol

Having been married...it's NEVER ok to wear a white dress. People may be polite to you about it but honestly they will go home and talk about 'The lady who wore a white dress' and that's a fact.

Even if the bride tell you to wear it you will be 'that woman'.

At the end of the day you are a guest and it really doesn't matter whether you would mind someone wearing it to your day at all as it's not your day. The bride CAN reserve any colour she wants and if the guests don't like it they don't have to come. When else is there a day when you get to have whatever you want? Remember some brides don;t feel beautiful & don't know that they will look amazing. if you are insecure about your looks or dress or anything anything like this coul upset you on your day.

This isn't how I feel about it but some people do and that is why i just wouldn't consider wearing white at all. I had a couple of people in creamy embelished or patterned dresses at my wedding but I don't think you could call them bridey at all.

I think that it is thoughtless to be phoning up a stressed bride to ask if she minds you wearing a white dress to her wedding? If you have to ask, that gives you your answer....wear something that doesn't require debate.

I think it's harsh BUT wedding stresses etc ARE harsh and the tiniest things seem massive when you are that stressed.

My ex's girlfriend who is about 3 sizes bigger than me and literally about a foot taller than me tried to wear and ACTUAL WEDDING DRESS TO MY WEDDING!!!!!! I SWEAR! PROPER FULL LENGTH WHITE GOWN!

Another friend had to convince her to take it off on the morning of the wedding!!!!!

Once you see the dress you will understand my harsh stance lol
    I am trying to post a pic of her dress now...

PIC POSTING DIDN'T WORK FIRST TIME.....2ND TIME LUCKY!?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs547.snc3/29943_391449421956_531946956_4670994_4176877_n.jpg

[Modified by: Jubilee on May 18, 2010 09:27 AM]