Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby Dan High Chair

OK, I am sure this has been done before but I can't quite seem to work the 'Search' facility!!

I really like the idea of my lo eating at the table with my hubby and I from the beginning and have a kitchen/diner so lo could sit at the table and draw / play while I play domestic goddess in the kitchen (in my head this is how it is going to be - humour me for now image!) I also want wood because I have always prefered it to plastic ...

Anyway, I was all set on getting a Stokke Tripp Trapp - picked out colours and cushions and everything - but then saw the Baby Dan. Amazingly my hubby, who usually buys the most expensive things he can find, prefers this. The cushions aren't so nice but the whole thing will be about a third of the price of a Tripp Trapp.

So, does anyone out there have experience of either or, even better, both?

Many thanks in advance!

xx

imageimage;\);\)

Replies

• We used to have the Baby Dan for Millie, and I'm sorry to have to tell you but I thought it was rubbish!! We had problems putting it together because the holes weren't all drilled propely, and the cushion fell apart the first time it was washed. The height of the seat can't be changed and when we took the baby bar off it left the backrest wobbly!! When we needed a chair for Barney (Millie was still using hers) we bought them both a Tripp Trapp, and they are absolutely fantastic. They both sit up to the table, and because every part of the seat is adjustable we know they are comfy. I really can't reccomend them enough, I think they are fantastic. If you do decide to go for the Tripp Trapp I would definitely get their harness for it, it fits on really cleverly and I think you would have to drill holes in the chair to fit another harness on. We got ours from www.backinaction.co.uk who were absolutely brillinat, have all the colours and were the cheapest I could find.
    Hope that helps you.
    xxx
  • Why did that post twice?????
    :\?

[Modified by: Bedhead on May 30, 2009 05:54 PM]

• Hi Bedhead

Thanks for that. I had read that the quality was 'iffy' on some chairs. I'm just surprised that John Lewis sell them if that's the case (I think I might have too much confidence in JL!!!!)

Hmmmm ... perhaps I need to just bite the bullit. I was looking at Backinaction as well, I know their site from when we were looking at matresses and they do seem good.

Thanks again

xx
  • LOL I didn't know JL sold them, I got mine from Mothercare. I thought I was the only one who thought that nothing JL sold was allowed be rubbish :lol::lol:
    xx
  • Have to say, I'm very disaapointed with JL now. I couldn't believe they sold the BabyDan and not the Tripp Trapp - far more JL I would have thought image!!

Can I just ask, I read a review saying that the TT covers couldn;t be washed. I presume that is wrong? Are they quick to dry (tumble dry?)

Thanks again ...
  • According to the Back in Action site they are machine washable, not acctually tried washing ours yet so I don't know how quick it dries but I wouldn't have thought it would take that long. Back in action actually recomend that untill you they are out of nappies you don't use the bottom cushion as they don't need it for padding and it's much easier to get them in without it, so the cushions don't actually get that dirty.
    xx
  • We've have a babydan dan chair and I absolutely LOVE IT!! I got ours in January from kiddiecare.com. It's the best highchair we've ever had and really worth the money. I wash the inner cushion bit about once a week and bar a slight bit of fading it's still in perfect condition!!
    Oh had no problems putting it together and my little girl loves sitting uop at the table with usimage
    Go onto kiddiecare to read reviews on the babydan and the tripp trapp and then you can decide hun x x x
  • Hi. Thanks for the reply. Hmmm ... I have read the reviews on pretty much every site. Maybe those that got bad quality chairs were unlucky ...? Might have to take a trip to a JL to look at one ...

Gosh, I wish I was more decisive image!!!
  • Thats a great idea hun. Best to see what they are both like before you buy image I like the Tripp Trapp too but it was just so expensive!!! We went for the Baby dan as I really could'nt see much difference between them. I felt with the Tripp Trapp you pay extra for the name. x x x
  • There are actually some differences between the two. On the babydan the seat is a fixed depth which means that smaller babies are forced to sit with their legs stretched out in front of them, if you try sitting like that for a while it's not actually very comfy. On the Stokke the depth of the seat can be adjusted so it's providing the right support however big you lo is. You can also convert the Stokke into an adult chair, the Babydan will take an adults weight but you aren't supposed to lower the level of the seat, and the seat isn't very deep. It wasn't an issue for us but the back on the Babydan isn't very high either which might be a problem for a younger baby (Millie was about 12 months when we bought it). It may just have been a dodgy batch, but my Mum and Dad bought a Babydan at the same time as us, their cushion has been ok, but the chair has the same dodgy build quality as ours, it is also much harder/fiddlier to adjust the Babydan than the Stokke. I guess you get what you pay for, having had both I can definitely see why you pay more for the Stokke but it just depends how long you think you'll use it for, we plan on using ours as spare chairs when the lo's get big so we'll get the use out of them.
    xx
  • I'm still in shock that John Lewis stock the Baby Dan and not the Tripp Trapp!!!!!

I wasn't really sure if there were differences between seating positions or convertions so you have answered my (unasked image!) questions on that Bedhead, thanks.

I can see myself swinging back towards the TT. Knowing my luck I would be one of the ones to get a dodgy build quality one!

I've been reading about the Tchibo ones for ??30 too - I wonder if any of those are still available image! Thank goodness my lo is 5 months - I NEED to make a decision soon - ha, ha!!!
  • Hi

Thanks wotastinkybum! Think I might just bite the bullet and get a Stokke TT. My husband is fed up with me talking to him about it (and changing my mind every 5 mins!!)

Thanks all for your advice!!
  • I just found this when looking up the tripp trapp you mentioned... I nearly died at the thought of my son doing this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJF7vD9nFrA&feature=related

xxx
  • Not seen that before. TBH I'm not sure how they've manged to get it to tip over, I've tried and I can only just get it to tip if I push it backwards and I'm stronger than a child. It's definitely worth bearing in mind but I guess it would apply to all of that style of highchair, not just the Tripp Trapp.
    xx
  • Hi All

OK, I have done it. I have ordered a natural Stokke TT (with beech baby set and cream harnesses) and the striped cushions from backinaction. I checked prices and they were very competitive and guaranteed for Tuesday. Yippee!!!!

Thanks for the link to youtub Hannah. I had seen that (in all my weeks of dithering!) and read all the comments. I too think that all high chairs of that type would be the same. My lo is a bit of a kicker (albeit only 5 months at the mo) so I will give it a thorough check out before I let him in it!

Thanks again all ... Roll on my weaning questions image