Forum home Babies Baby

Breast feeding and vitamins??? Confused

Just read on another topic about vitamins for breast fed babies. My daughter is 7.5 months old and breast fed. She has a varied diet of mashed foods and finger foods. Should she be on vitamins??? Never heard of this before!!!
Help!
XXX

Replies

• we got some weaning advice from the HV ( a booklet) that said babies who are not on follow on milk should be taking vitamin drops, might be worth a chat with your HV x
  • HV and doctor both told me as long as they have varied diet not to worry!
  • Thank god coco! Had a bit of a panic then (very little one though!!) Thought it was a bit strange when I give her a varied diet and breastmilk, to shove her on vitamins??? Thanks for the replies x
  • My hv recommended that my lo should take vitamins, she said that they were told by the paediatrician to advise all mothers to give their lo's vitamin D as it is hard to get from food (you get it from sunlight), because in this country there has been an increase in rickits in the last few years. Also as someone else mentioned their iron stores start to deplete after 6 months. I believe it is advised to give them vitamins from 6 months until you think they are eating enough food and having a varied enough diet that they don't need them anymore.

• Got breastfeeding club tomorrow so will ask them there what they advise. Thanks
  • My LO was preemie and was prescribed vit drops on SCBU, apparently all babies born before 36 weeks should have them? She was mix fed at the start so we had to put them in a bottle a day (either expressed or formula), she's still on them now and was told to continue till we weaned. But if you're exclusively breast feeding then I'm not sure how you'd get them into LO?
    xxx
  • She was a full term baby she has 3 meals a day (eats loads) and about 4 - 5 milk feeds a day (only breast milk). Will speak to HV at breast feeding club tomorrow for more info I think. Strange how I've only just heard about it - get her weighed every month and they ask then how you are feeding your baby!
  • i was given vitamins by my midwife. again for vitamin d. in my area there has been a rise in rickits. we also get pregnacare free throughout pregnancy and free vitamins for mums throughout breastfeeding.
  • hv recommended that my lo should take vitamins, she said that they were told by the paediatrician to advise all mothers to give their lo's vitamin D as it is hard to get from food (you get it from sunlight), because in this country there has been an increase in rickits in the last few years

Alternatively we could take our LOs out in the sun from time to time!!

I have never given my bf babies vitamins and unless one of them stops feeding/eating properly for a sustained period of time I don't intend to.
  • tbh pt i dont give them esme either.