Forum home Babies Baby

Making strange???

Ellie is just over 4 months and has been for the last week or so making strange. She hates seeing anyone other then myself, her dad or my mum. She sees my sister and her nanny every day but cried hysterically when they try to lift or hold her. Is this normal? Im starting to feel like everyone thinks she is very spoilt but i know that she isnt. Well she does get my full attention all day and her dads at night and she just seems to only want us. I dont know what to do as we are going away next week for around 6 hours and i dont want her to be crying her heart out when we are gone.
What can i do? :cry:

Replies

• sounds like it could be a bit of seperation anxiety, where shes happy with you and oh, and happy for other people to be around but doesnt want to be held or left wth them... - not sure what to do but will have a look and let you know if i find anything useful...
    have you tried looking for an article on it on this site?

xxx
  • Yes but nothing seems to fit the bill. I dont get it, she is happy in my arms or hubbys arms and for people to talk to her and she will smile or coo away but if anyone even attempts to lift her she wails. I dont understand why she dosnt cry to my mum, she sees her once or twice a week and this dosnt seem to bother her but she sees my sister and her nanny every day! Weird! I am clutching at straws and hopeing she will grow out of it but she seems to be getting worse as time goes by! Any help would be appreciated. xxx
  • With Zara if someone comes straight in & goes straight over (Inlaws tend to come straight in & right up to her with their face only inches from hers!!) to her she'll cry too, especially if they try to lift her but if they come in sit for 10 minutes & keep their distance til she has sussed them out a bit shes fine. Dont know if thats any help Diane. If you'd said she just done it with your MIL from what you tell me I might have said do you blame her!!!! hehehe!!!!

Hilary x
  • LOL Hilary, its not just her anymore unfortunatly, its everyone except me and Gary and my mum. Its so hard to keep making excuses for her like, oh shes tired or she only after a feed or whatever, i wish she would just keep it for my mil and no-one else! LOL
  • Your poor MIL!!!! I wish mine would bring me a bunch of flowers for mothers day!!!!!!
  • well, i'm not going by experience as not there yet, lo only 3months but my mum had actually told me they go through a stage of only wanting mummy or daddy (she thought it was around 6months) and crying for all others and that your own mother will probably get away with it as for some wierd reason we're meant to have some similar scent that baby doesn't figure out is not the same person! wierd but looking fwd to that trip to the in laws teehee! good luck
  • Kara is just over 5 mounts and acting strange too. It is awful as you think other people thinks she is spoilt. Apparently they do go through a phase of acting strange. If we meet strangers and they talk to her she puts on the petted lip lol. I took her to work the other day to sort about going back and I was dreading it in case she acted strange but she didn't. She just sussed them all out. Thank God. I just warn people who start talking to her to be aware that shes starting to be strange and they understand.

Dont think there is anything you can about it as they will grow out of it.

Good luck.
  • Hi
    Barnaby is 4 months and doing the same thing. He has always been fine with anyone but recently screams the place down if anyone else holds him. I have also noticed he seems a bit calmer when he can see me and at night when he wakes he's happy to know I am there and I place a hand on his chest, he grips on really hard til he falls asleep again.
    Apparently babies do go through this at this age and it's perfectly normal. You might find that in a few weeks Ellie is fine again.
    Until then I would suggest that when you hand her to anyone tell her ' you're going to have a cuddle with X now', show her who you mean, and when you pass her over make sure you do it as she is facing you so she can still see you as opposed to passing her over facing the person who is taking her. When she goes to that person make sure you are still there close to her and talk to her lots and it might just work. I'm sure she'll grow out of it.
  • Hi

My Lo is 9 months now but she went through exactly the same stage at around 5 months. To be honest i found the only way to overcome it was to act as you normally would and she sorted herself out. I found the more i reacted to it the worse she got, i would be pulling my hair out as i couldnt even leave the room. It was testing but separation anxiety is something all babies go through at some stage so dont feel that anything is wrong. If you can be strong and just leave lo to sort herself out then do so. My lo was like it for a few weeks but then one day just stopped, whether it was because myself and my oh werent reacting to her and eventually her determination gave in before ours did. It was hard though but worked for me and i havent had a problem since x
  • Thanks to everyone who replied. Im glad to know she isnt being a spoiled baby already. I hope she stops it soon but i will be patient until she does.
    Tracieann thanks for your idea about handing her over, i will try that tomarrow. x
  • Hi

I had the same with my LO from quite a young age. I just wanted to say that if you try trackieann's advice and still find she gets upset, to leave it for a few weeks rather than forcing the issue. We found that worked for LO, as Hilary said when we went visiting we didn't hand her over straight away, but gave her a chance to suss people out first. We even had to do that with all the grandparents for a few weeks! But it worked, and now I could give her to anyone, although I catch her checking for me over their shoulders! It will definitely pass though, it's just a pity it kicks in even worse when they get a bit older!
  • Thanks, i tired this with my sister today and she did cry but not nearly as hard as before and she did settle down after a few minutes on her own and then was happy to sit but when i tried it with my mil she just wailed on and on so i ended up taking her back again and she stopped immediatly! I cant blame her though, my mil would scare anyone least of all a little baby! LOL