Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Advice please on when to stop driving.

Hi everyone, sorry been asking loads on here lately.
I commute an hour and a half to work each way 2 days a week, the rest of the time I work from home, I am due to give my written notice today and was planning on finishing a week before my due date but as long as i can work from home 5 days a week from a later stage in pregnancy.

Just wondering how long you contiuned driving this sort of distance for feeling safe? What would be the recommended timescale to stop. I don't drive rush hour it's just the safety I'm concerned about.

Thanks

Em x

Replies

• I carried on driving right up untill I had Millie. I think it depends how you sit behind the wheel and how big your bump is. I am quite tall so I sit quite along way back and my bump wasn't particularly big so I had no problem with being squashed up. I don't know of any safety issues as long as you can still reach the steering wheel!
  • I was driving up to about a week before I gave birth. The only reason I stopped was because I couldn't be arsed to go out by that point and certainly wasn't walking anywhere.

The only thing that may have stopped me from driving was the fact that by that time there was only about an inch between my bump and the steering wheel so it worked out just fine!
  • Thanks everyone, looks like my biggest problem will be space as i drive a audi tt convertible at the moment until I sell it so I would imagine getting in and out would be the worst, I will just have to se how it goes i think.

Thanks.
    Em x
  • Hi i was driving right till the end i even went to my parents on the monday afternoon and i was in early labour! i didnt realise at the time though lol
    take care
    Linimage
  • I drove myself to the hospital to get checked out and was in labour!!
  • it depends on personal preference, how safe you feel how comfortable you feel..........i drove up until 1 week before my due date (ended up 2 weeks late too) in the hope that walking absolutely everywhere would bring on labour but it didnt
  • I drove up till i went into labour. I drove to my mums and then hubby drove to the hospital and my baby was born less than an hour later! I would do what you think is best and stop driving if you do feel comfortable. xxx
  • I drove until the day before I had Ray..............however since then I have heard a story about a collision involving a family member, the other driver was heavily pregnant and it turned out that because of this she wasn't actually insured and shouldn't have been driving! So best to check with your insurance company I think....... you know what they are like, they will try anything to get out of paying out!
  • OOh interesting thought there Ray's mum, must check with insurance.
    You independent girls hey, blimey, imagine if your waters break while you're driving! it's not that I don't want to drive it's the thought of a 45 mile hike each way that put me off a little getting so close, I will struggle if I can't get out once in a while in a car.

Thanks
    Em x
  • i never thought about it to be honest with you, am the same as bedhead tall and didn't have a big bump so there was no problems! - i think i drove right up till the day i went into labour!
  • i drove right until the end however with long trips i stopped at about 6 months i was just too tired and took the train instead where you don't have to concentrate and bump isn't so in the way. it's definitely personal preference really, you know how tired you feel or big etc.
  • i'm only 4'10" and had a huge bump! so i stopped at about 7 and half months as my bump was almost touching the wheel and i thought a small crash or even breaking too hard may push the wheel into my bump so didn't want to risk it!