Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How to cope with sleep deprivation?

Hi Mummies
I'm struggling atm, my 6.5 month old for the last month has been sleeping badly and I don't know what to do.
How do you cope with lack of sleep? I feel constantly sick and absolutely exhausted, never mind cranky and miserable.
I don't feel like "me" anymore so how do you all manage it?? I find I can't really sleep during the day because I can't switch off and end up being over-tired.
I don't drink coffee either so can't even rely on caffeine!!! Aaaggghhh!!!
Any tips greatfully received xx

Replies

• The only way I coped with it was to go to bed really early and soldier on through.
    I could never sleep in the day either. Especially since the girls only nap for 45 min at a time so by the time I get to sleep, they are awake again!

When they were small and I was up in the night with them, I used to have some really early nights to get back on an even keel. I then find I can cope with a night or 2 of not much sleep

xxx
  • if i'm really struggling (i am at the mo with a unusual 3-4am wake up call)
    i go to bed at 9pm and get hubby to see to bubs if he wakes before he goes to bed, i dont normally go to bed until 11pm so this at least gives me 6 hours before he wakes as opose to 4!
  • Hi Kelly, I'm finding it really tough going at the moment too. Sara feeds 4hrly day and night, after 4 months of this i'm knackered! They only way I can do it is to get to bed seriously early for a couple of nights a week to catch up, however the main prob with this is that I don't get done the things I want to in the evening - ie catching up with washing...maybe watching some TV I like, and generally doing things I can't with a baby.

I'm on unpaid maternity at the moment and so OH is working all hours so we've got some cash so I feel I can't ask him to do night feeds etc - especially as he works with chainsaws all day! He does try to do the morning feed so I can have a little lie-in, but you know how it is, once your LO starts crying you're awake anyway!!

When you say your LO is sleeping badly...how badly?? Sorry I can't offer any advice, but you're def not alone.

xxx
  • Hi ladies - I do try and get to bed early but it doesn't always work like that does it lol?!? I went to bed just before 10 last night but it was midnight before I dropped off to sleep (growing increasingly frustrated with myself by the minute!!)
    Then DD woke at 2.30am - 4.30am :cry:

No 2 nights are the same with her - she used to be a little gem but she got a cold a few weeks ago and hasn't been right since. It can take her up to an hour to go to sleep but ends up waking an hour earlier in the morning (so 2 hours less sleep!) She'll wake most nights crying, but it's got to the point where she doesn't need anything other than attention. We do leave her, don't go to her at every grumble or anything but it's just not working.
    DH does as much as he can but we run our own business and he's working 12/14 hour days 7 days a week image

DD I'm sure is picking up on me being shattered and my "bedtime anxiety" but I'm just shattered and don't know how to get her sleeping well again (she's on 3x meals a day too!!) xx
  • I know how you feel, I can't even bring myself to write a proper reply because I'll just cry again, but we've been doing the same thing for almost the last 4 weeks and I'm shattered. Everyone I know keeps telling me to feed him more food and that'll make him sleep. I've got him on a bit of baby rice, but he's hungry in the night and I really want to make it to 6 months for the immunities (I've got v bad asthma and eczema) Hubby can't do any of the feeds or wakings as he works and I breastfeed, so I'm just trying desperately to function...
  • Hi EmilyB - how close to 6 months is your LO? My DD loves her grub so I don't think sleepless nights are food related, sometimes they are of course but in my case I've ruled that out.
    I know it's been warmer the last few nights too so tonight I'm going to strip another layer off her.
    Hun I know how you feel, sleep (or lack of it) has a LOT to answer for!!!
    Hope things improve for you very soon xxx
  • Jak's 5 and ha lf months, 24 weeks today in fact. I'm at my limit, hubby's currently settling him now and I know he'll be awake again at 10:30pm, so almost feel there's no point going to sleep. I certainly can't while he's being settled because he keeps crying out and whinging because he wants to play, and I can't sleep when he's like that - mummy instinct!

I really hope tonight brings some sleep for you too hun. x x x
  • Well I agree with the going to bed early, but I need to practice what I preach! My problems are OH works nights, so is asleep during the day, so I don't see him hardly if I go to bed early. I do a dream feed, so have to then wake for that. I also can't sleep well during the day, and James's naps are usually only half an hour. According to OH when we were 'discussing' this last night, I'm permanently grumpy! Well I feel that's an over-exaggeration but it is hard when you are permantly tired! We also discussed yes OH works, but doesn't mean he shouldn't be helping out with the baby. Just have to see if anything improves! Hope you can manage a couple of early nights, it is amazing what one or two extra hours of sleep can do. xx
  • Well I agree with the going to bed early, but I need to practice what I preach! My problems are OH works nights, so is asleep during the day, so I don't see him hardly if I go to bed early. I do a dream feed, so have to then wake for that. I also can't sleep well during the day, and James's naps are usually only half an hour. According to OH when we were 'discussing' this last night, I'm permanently grumpy! Well I feel that's an over-exaggeration but it is hard when you are permantly tired! We also discussed yes OH works, but doesn't mean he shouldn't be helping out with the baby. Just have to see if anything improves! Hope you can manage a couple of early nights, it is amazing what one or two extra hours of sleep can do. xx
  • Sorry gatecrashing. My two year old has only ever slept through three times (sorry if that's depressing but she is an ex prem with bad reflux!!!) the good news is you learn to cope, I generally cope well but have the rare bad day like today when I cried cos the printer broke at work ( not good in an office full of men!!) sending you all sleepy vibes

lots of love sleepy xx