Forum home Babies Baby

weaning help??????

Isaac is nearly 19 weeks old now and for the last few days i have felt like a dairy cow, he is constantly feeding and seems to be getting frustrated at not being able to get enough milk out quick enough, also he seems to be taking so much milk that i can hear it sloshing in his stomach, I thought that he was probably ready for weaning but when i tried he just didnt seem interested, when i weaned my others, after the initial first spoonful they have been really keen and taken to it straight away, does this mean hes not ready and i should leave it a while longer or should i persevere????? Please help any advice welcome. Thanks

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/4/476/47669.png

[Modified by: hayley l on 26 August 2007 09:57:54 ]

Replies

• u could give it a couple of days and try again, if u think he is hungry and is showing interest in your food etc. did u leave a bit of time from bf before u tried food? if when u try again he still not interested it may be that he just isnt ready.
    do u think his mega feeding could be a growth spurt? if it is he will soon settle back down again.
    i know wat u mean about feeling like a dairy cow though hun,lol xx
  • hi kirst, i left it about 30 mins after bf ans he was chomping and sucking on his fist so i thought he was still hungry, could be a mega growth spurt as he is taking every last drop of milk i am producing so maybe my body needs a chance to catch up with his needs, i will give it a few days and see if he has settled and if not i will try again, shame you cant put baby rice in your boobs :lol:
  • lol, baby rice in boobs! maybe i woulda got oliver sleeping through before 9m if that was possible image xx
  • well i have come to the conclusion that my lo obviously doesnt like baby rice!! i tried twice and he made a nasty face and spat it out, so i decided to try him with some pear at lunch time which he wolfed down and looked for more, question is can i give him solids more than once a day at the mo coz he was screaming with hunger after his milk at tea time and he had drained me dry??? He is 19 weeks old now and when i weaned the others a lot earlier they were happy with one small meal. please help. thanks
    Hayley
  • Guess you could buy shares in del monte....
  • i gave oliver a little food twice a day for about a week then went to 3x a day and gradually gave bigger portions. i made and froze in ice cube trays, fruit, veg, fruit and veg mix and added extra cube at 1 meal at a time as i could c how much he wanted at diff times of day, he usually had more at lunchtimes to begin with.
    just go with his lead im sure he will let u know when he is full, oliver would happily spit out when he had enough. xx
  • Hayley - I don't think Imogen likes the baby rice either! I tried her on it yesterday and she scunched her face up and spat it out!! How did you do the pear? Mel xx
  • hi melbee, the pears i had were quite soft and ripe so i just pureed them, i did add a bit of baby rice coz it was very runny, if they are a bit hard i would just steam them a bit to soften them up.
  • Thanks Hayley, I might give that a try and see how she goes. x
  • Can I ask, whats best to start on baby rice or rusks???
    My LO is no where ready to being weaned, but I bought some rusks which where on offer in asda. Also a thick question to ask, but what do you do about your spoons and bowls, do you sterilse them as you do bottles?
  • I don't sterilise bowls or spoons as he puts so much crap in his mouth I think he's used to a few germs.
    I started with rice as most rusks have gluten in them which should be avoided until at least 6 months.
  • i dont sterilise spoons or bowls either, i did with my first but i really dont see the point, as camlo says they put so much other stuff in thier mouth. I think rice is better to start with than rusks as it doesnt contain gluten and rusks have quite a lot of sugar, be aware tho that your lo may not like rice, mine wont eat it.
  • i didnt sterilise bowls or spoons either, i dont often use em now as i just disinfect his tray and plonk the food on there, less to pick up from the floor as he has sussed out the tommie tippie gripper mat,lol xx