Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Too much fruit?

Charlotte loves fruit. She has a fruit salad sometimes as pudding with allsorts in and she'll eat it and go mmmmmmm whilst eating it like she really enjoys it! She also loves fruit as a snack and begs any fruit I have.

It doesn't seem to upset her system but I'm worried about her teeth cos of the sugar in the fruit. I know it would be worse if she was having smoothies cos the sugar is released the more you do to the fruit. It's just that she's being a monkey with her teeth cleaning at the moment so I'm barely able to get in there with the brush.

I don't want to stop her having as much fruit as I would much rather her eat sweet fruit than sweets and I want her to have her 5 a day.

How much fruit do you give your lo?

Replies

• We're not at that stage yet but I think its fab your lo wants to eat so much fruit. Too many kids eat the wrong things now and I really hope when we start weaning Amelia will be the same.
  • She's only started to really like fruit in the past 2 to 3 months. She used to just throw it on the floor. Now I give her a small bowl and it's all gone in no time!
    Maybe it's cos the fruit is nicer in the summer - more choice?
  • Imogen LOVES fruit and has 2 portions a day (she especially likes pineapple and Ellas kitchen fruit smoothies).

If she's being a monkey when we clean her teeth we either let her do it herself (which mostly just involves chewing the brush) or rub her teeth with toothpaste.
  • Gabe doesn't have much fruit, he has it maybe 3 times a week or so, he likes bananas, oranges, grapes & strawberries are his absolute favourite.

Gabe is luckily he gets bananas as I hate them and even the smell of something banana-flavour makes me gag!! Actually most fruit does except strawberries & raspberries.

As for tooth brushing I would be ashamed to say how often a toothbrush goes near Gabe let alone in his mouth :lol: I always forget and then when I do remember he just wants to do it himself.

Fruit can be bad for the teeth but not all, I think apples and oranges are the worst culprits, but by no means should you stop giving them her...it's great she eats fruit!

Does she ever have fruit juice? Gabe lurrrves a cold carton of fruit juice, the co-op do this 'Orange & Mango juicy water' that is 70% orange & mango juice and 30% water ....he drinks it thru the straw so not so bad for the teethies....
  • its great that charlotte loves fruit i wouldt worry to much about the sugar content as when ever the dentist comes in to school he alway tell the children to eat fruit and not sweets.toby loves fruit to has some after most meals ans somtimes for snacks aswell he would rather have fruit than a biscuit