Forum home Babies Baby

looking after the baby and house work

hi,

my lo is 3 months old, I am going back to work next week and my mum who lives with us is going to be looking after her.
My mum is saying that she wont cook or do anything else while looking after the baby... How are the other mums coping, I mean how do you do the house work and look after the baby...

Replies

• Its not easy keeping on top of house work with a baby, I think its harder than being at work personally!!

Until my little boy's arrival, I was obsessive about housework (think it was worse near end of pregnancy due to nesting!), hoovered everyday etc (have dogs as well) and couldn't bare to see things out of place.

Although I still try to hoover everyday (due to dogs really), everything else I let go until I am able to do it. OH is quite good as he sorts the washing, dishes etc, he just doesn't "clean" like I do, more tidy away! My little boy falls asleep when the hoover is on which is a bonus!

I've also adapted the mindset that my LO isn't gonna be little for long and I want to enjoy him as much as poss, I won't have this time with him again, and if the house-work has to suffer for a few days here and there, let it be.

I think the main thing is you will cope with it all.... because you have to and you'll just get on with it. You'll find your own routine and it will get easier.

Take care
    Leanne x
  • P.s Just another thought.... have you thought about having a cleaner once/twice a week? Quite often if you ask around, you'll find someone that knows someone thats looking for a little extra cash.

A friend of mine has a cleaner twice a week for 2 hrs each time... the cleaner was a friend of her mums who is retired but wanted a little extra cash. She pays her ??20 per week, or ??5 per hour. In those 2 hours though, she gets loads done, ironing and all sorts. I asked if she wanted to do my house as well, but she said no unfortunatley!

Maybe your mum knows someone who would be interested.... just an idea?
  • Almost impossible, even without working. your mum says she won't but if she is anything like mine, what she says and what she does are completely different image
  • I think she will. before my little one was born my mum and dad kept going on about how they weren't going to look after the baby when i go back to work and now i have gone back and they do!
  • Thanks guys.... I now she will cook but not without moaning....!!!!1