Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Advice Needed - Always needs to be cuddled

I need some help please. Everytime I put my little girl (8 weeks old) down she always cries and won't settle. She cries because she wants to be picked up and cuddled and I can't do it all the time or else I never get anything done. The only time I can get things done is if my husband is home and he has to hold her while I get on with chores. The only time when she is content is when she's had a feed and this doesn't last very long. Can anyone suggest anything to help because I'm at my wits end. :cry:

Replies

• I know it can be a bit awkward but maybe if you put her in a baby sling she will sleep cos she will be close to you and you'll have your hands free to do other things.Do you let her cry a little bit or pick her straight up? If you can bear the crying for 10 mins or so maybe pushing her outside in her pram will help her drop off-the fresh air can soon make them drowsy. Hope things get better for you soon.
  • I've tried leaving her to cry and I have to confess that it breaks my heart but I know it has to be done. I find the problem with Abi is that she will cry and cry until she gets what she wants and then I cave in. A sling sounds a really good idea, at least I can get things done around the house.
  • A sling sounds like a good idea, I got mine from freedom slings (www.freedomslings.co.uk or they have a shop on ebay) They are really easy to use and because lo can lie down in them they are really good for little babies, they do some cool colours too! Have you tried putting her in a baby seat where she can see what you are doing? Millie used to quite like to watch me doing jobs when she was little.
  • I used to have to put my LO in a sling to get anything done. Although you have your hands free its more tricky than being heavily pregnant!
    Don't worry they do seem to grow out of it and be more settled
  • Your story sounds so familiar. I had exactly the same problem and contantly wore a baby sling until she fell asleep and then put her down. The do grow out of it but I know how you feel I remember thinking why can't you sit in a bouncy chair like other babies. I also put her in a bouncy chair for a short time each day and gradualy inc the tume. In the begining she would only stay in about 10 mins but we got there in the end. It will soon pass and then you will miss the cuddle time when she wants to play! Good luck
    xx
  • I know how you feel my second baby just cried all the time unless she was held, when she was born the midwife described her as a cry waiting to happen and that proved to be so true, definitely invest in a sling as its the only way to get any thing done. I know what you mean about the crying i could never bear to listen to it and it broke my heart, i found taking her out in the pram helped but at the end of the day she was just a baby who wanted to be held and comforted alot. Take heart they do grow out of it and when she did she was far easier than my others who were more placid as babies but turned in to terrible toddlers.
  • Don't try cooking dinner wearing the sling though, could be tricky!
  • i have a baby the same! he likes to be cuddled and wont sit in a low chair or lie on setee for long. we have a graco swing (miracle swing we call it) my son loves it as it swings him to sleep i get loads one until he gets bored or hungry would def advise them xxx
  • Yer my 4 week old likes to be picked up esp when im eating or really busy lol. Everytime i get in the shower she screams and i end up putting her in her chair right next to the bath, it doesnt stop her crying but she settles a bit. I tried a sling but she was having none of it. I was at my wits end till last week when my son was playing sonic the hedgehog and as soon as she heard the tune she shut up, now i put her in her chair, turn on the computer game and let it run itself, hey i get loads done she loves it haha. Might not work with other babies tho lol.
  • Joshysmum - well believe it or not she loved Britain's got Talent. She would lay and watch it for hours, but now that's finished I'm up for other ideas.

My sister has a swing which she used with my niece and she swore by that too so I think I may have to ask to borrow it
  • Hiya hun,
    I agree with Hayleys1 my graco swing is a godsend it even lulls him to sleep sometimes..
    there quite expensive but worth it...I was lucky n got a second hand one worth a try..
    Good luck babes
    swxx
  • Hiya hun,
    I agree with Hayleys1 my graco swing is a godsend it even lulls him to sleep sometimes..
    there quite expensive but worth it...I was lucky n got a second hand one worth a try..
    Good luck babes
    swxx