Forum home Babies Baby

OH GOD - wasn't expecting this so advice please!

Max was always bf and self weaned off the boob at 10.5months - we tried him on loads of different formulas from bottles cups etc etc and he would NOT take it then tried him on drinking full fat milk but he hated that too it all just got sipped and then spat out and then he would have no more so since then all he has had to drink is water and he is happy with that. He has loads of cheese yogs milk on cereal etc etc and neither us or the hv were ever bothered by it. Now (aged 19months) on Thursday morning he watched me put milk in my tea as he always does and he suddenly pointed at it and said 'mulk' (he has said this word as a comment before) so I said 'yes it's milk' and put it away in the fridge which caused him to get really cross so I asked 'do you want milk in your cup?' and he said yes so I poured a tiny bit in and he DRANK it and asked for more - he has a standard tommy tippee sippy cup and he drank the whole cupful. He had a cup friday morning and a cup yesterday morning and night as well. However today he has drank a PINT AND A HALF of full fat milk in one day - he just kept asking for it - he has had 3 full cups of water too!

So what I need to know (having paid no attention to these things for the last 10months) is how much should/can he have??? Does it matter if he wants a cup before bed - is that still ok? I have no clue about any of it :lol::lol:

THANKS!

Replies

• :lol: I've got no idea how much he should have, Millie did the same, stoped bfing at 10 1/2 months and wouldn't drink milk at all. He's definitely not to big for bedtime milk though, Millie does now have a cup of milk before bed and she is nearly 3.
    xx
  • ok - just if he keeps going like he did today he is going to bankrupt us - I am used to buying 1 pint for a week and then having to throw some of it away :lol: cos he only has cereal at home 2 days a week and now we have finished a 2 pinter in a day and a bit image
  • Look on the bright side, at least it's not formula :lol: that would cost you a fortune!!
  • Hi, my LO did this! He went off milk & then suddenly - particularily when he could say the word 'milk' - he started to ask for it all the time, he actually sounds like he is off a Cravendale advert! lol! It has now calmed down but he regularily drinks milk & is 2yrs old. I think it's connected to them being able to vocalise & assert their independance etc! lol!
    xxx
    http://bf.lilypie.com/qYRe0/.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/RRvn0/.png

• Maybe the warm weather is making him extra thirsty?

Charlotte is 17 months and she has about 10ozs a day (approx 5 on cereal for brekkie, and 5 in the evening before bed in a cup). I think that's 300ml so about half a pint which is what they need at that age.

A pint and half sounds a bit excessive but if he's thirsty.......!
  • I thought it was excessive too! I am hoping it's just the novelty and will come down to a 'normal' level in a few days!!
  • hehe - he'll be mooing soon lol!
  • don't even JOKE! He yells 'mooooooo' and 'cow, cow cow' at top of his voice down the milk aisle of ASDA cos there are cow pics on th ebottles!!!!

:lol:
  • Awe, little moo juice drinker! I would follow his lead, if he craves it perhaps his body just needs a bit extra for a growth spurt and then perhaps monitor if it is effecting his appetite at meals, then adjust accordingly.

xx
  • i was told they should be having 18 to 20 oz or a pint a day up to the age of 2 or the equivalent of dairy ie yoghurts and cheese. i give daisy 3 6 oz bottles of formula still at 16 months cus she doesnt eat much and wont drink cows milk. i think its fine what hes having. milk is really good for him.
  • Aaww bles him.

When Isaac was about that age he would have 7oz in the morning, 7oz in the afternoon when he went down for a nap and 7oz at bedtime.

Too much milk might ruin his appetite for food as it turns into a solid when digested. He probably wants alot coz its new bless him!

xx xx xx
  • My niece could drink a cow dry!!!
    She's about 22mths and I'm sure she drinks at least 2 pints a day
    Don't forget in the hot weather they don't eat as much so more milk is a good substitute
  • Bless him at moo'ing.
    I've never read anything about drinking too much milk, but I guess just keep an eye on it. Maybe it is a phase. S x
  • Sorry for gate crashing ladies. My dd was having 20 oz a day until a few months ago-shes 4 1/2 and I cut it down to get her dry at night as she would have at least 10 oz before bed. It doesn't seem to have done her any harm as she is now on around the 75th centile after being 8 weeks prem and 3lb 5oz. I'd just be careful that it doesn't curb his appetite for food as Grace was a bit of a picky eater some days and has improved since her milk was reduced to around 12oz a day.
    They do still get milk at school(though G won't drink it cold) so I'm sure that its good for them to have a reasonable amount even at 5.
    I hope you don't mind me crashing its just that it is something that used to bother me too.
    I hope you are all enjoying your lo's and that I might be lucky enough to join you in a year or so.
    Helen.xxx
  • Moo moo!! I love it!

Daniel (18 months) has a bottle in the monring before breakfast (7 oz) and a bottle and a half before bed (11 oz). He has done this for ages, and he really loves his milk. And he eats really well, with lots of balance. Formula or whole cows milk, it makes no difference to him!
  • Shea, 21months has around a pint and half a day too, he loves his milk, he'll also probably have over a pint of juice a day too.

I don't worry as i'm a thirsty person and drink lots through the day too!
  • aah bless him!! Must've been a shock! Gabe's 13 months and doesn't have ANY milk, I stopped him having it recently as he'd only have about 3oz then want to walk around. It is so much easier without it I must say, and cheaper - and he hasn't noticed at all! xxx
  • Had to laugh out load when I read 'He moos as we go down the milk aisle' bless him!

Jemima has never gone off milk, but she very rarely drinks it cold! She has a whole beaker int eh morning, sometimes 1 and a half. then she has some in her cereal (never measured). She also has a beaker full before bed. Throughout the day she has milk, dpending on how much water she takes.

I dont think there a right or wrong amount of milk a young child during the day. So long as they aren't filling themselves uip on it instead of milk, let him have however much he wants.

Since I stopped bf her 2 months ago, our weekly pints has increased. We have milk delivered as its more convenient. This week we increased to12 pints during the week and 8 pint at w/es!!
  • Ok then I am gonna just go with the flow and let you know what happens!!!!

Thanks all for the advice! image
  • I gave Charlotte her milk before her bath and she wolfed it down in one! Normally it's drunk over a period of 15 minutes (and knocked over)!! I think it must be the heat with her though as she's had a lot of water & juice today too.