Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My LO fell off my bed...:(

Hi everyone, god had a traumatic morning as when I was changing my LO's nappy before we got up he fell off my bed. I was just going to get the nappy and he must have been too close to the edge of the bed. He started screaming and calmed down when I gave him a cuddle. I don't think he banged his head but I'm not totally sure, he was on his front when I went to him on the flor. We were both in tears. I feel so so so unbelievably guilty and scared that he is hurt. He seems absolutely fine now, is playing with his toys and is blowing rasberries and we are going to the docs later as I want him to be checked over. I think he was more shaken than anything else, but I just feel like the worst mother in the world. He's nearly 5 months old. Has anyone else been in this type of situation and was LO alright??

Replies

• oh Kate im sure Jaime is fine, these things happen! once joshua was in his bouncing chair and i went into the kitchen to get his bottle, he started screamimg really loudly so i went back in and he was leaning over the side of the chair with his head lolling all over the place, id forgotten to tighten one side of the straps- he was only 5 weeks old. I felt SO bad, but looking at him on his play mat now...hes fine lol x
  • Don't beat yourself up about it hun! I'm sure he'll be getting into a lot more scrapes than that when he's crawling and walking about. Try not to worry, i'm sure he'll be fine. x
  • Hi Kate, im sure hes fine, like the others said he will go through the wars as he grows up. A couple of weeks ago my 11yr old daughter fell while she was holding matthew he was 4mths old, he screamed and it took a while to comfort him, but he was fine. My poor daughter on the other hand was beside herself, bless her! She kept saying sorry to me whilst crying her eyes out, i told her it was an accident and it could happen to anyone i ended up cuddling both of them! xx
  • hi kate i know how you feel as when my other daughter was only 2 weeks old we was ouit shopping and me and hubby was lifting buggy up some steps and she fell out of the back straight onto the floor it was awfall people were staring at me i felt so bad but she is 4 now and is absolutly fine we did take her to the local hospital they checked her over and she was fine . so dont worry to much it happens .
  • Ohh, sarah i bet that was awful for you, glad she was ok! xx
  • i think most people have been in this situation. my lo 9months now and she has fell off bed twice. first time my husband had her the 2nd it was me. it make you feel so guilty but they are so fast. im sure he be fine.
  • Hi, my 8 month old has fallen off our bed twice, we both cried and cried. I felt to guilty but he's fine now. I think we've all done it!!!
  • My mum was holding lo and he banged his head on the ceiling where the stairs come down over the lounge. She felt so guilty, especially as he was quite sicky afterwards and I took him to a and e. Anyway, he was fine, but my mum kept ringing ang texting to make sure. That was just over a week ago and he was fine the next day.
  • don't worry hun, i did the same thing, lo was in bed with us and i had fallen asleep without cradling him like i usually did. i screamed which set him off. he was shocked but absolutely fine afterwards. thank god there was nothing under him to hurt him, i usually leave shoes by the bed! I'm sure he will be fine. i bet you are feeling guilty, i was for two days and i never fell asleep with him on the side of the bed after!!
  • My 2 sons have never fallen off the bed but my daughter did at least 3 times! We were on holiday at the coast (in uk) at the time and we were stopping in a b&b. we had to leave buggy downstairs and we didnt take a travel cot as my daughter used to sleep with us so bed was only place we could put her down to get dressed etc..
    I was always careful to put her in the middle but she would roll over and fall of the edge in a split second. She used to cry for a few seconds but after cuddles and loads of kisses she was fine. I used to feel like the worst mother in the world. I ended up taking all the pillows off the bed and wedging her in the middle so she couldnt go anywhere.
    Dont beat yourself up about it, i think this sort of thing happens to the majority of people.
  • Don;'t worry this sort of thing happens all the time as they get older - it goes with the territory. its is very upsetting though i have to admit. babies are stronger & less fragile than you think though & usually bounce back. My lo dived head first off the sofa a couple of months back & i really thought he was paralysed as he just laid on the floor not moving - it was awful. he hasn't done it since though - think he learnt from that. xx
  • my eldest has fell off the bed and hit his head on the radiator lots of times its part of the course. First time I rang NHS direct and they rang my health visitor. H/V fortunately knew me and lo and thought it was funny that NHS direct called her.
  • hi everyone, thanks soooooo much for your stories, it has made me feel much better!!! Jamie seems fine and has been as wriggly and alert as ever. I took him to see nurse and she was fine, jua=st said not to leave him alone on the bed again. I was a bit scared they'd get social services onto me. I think I need to toughen up a bit as I'm sure these things will continue to happen...esp when he's crawling!
  • Glad he is fine. Still to happen to me but I'm sure it will. Arwen is so wriggly now. Where do you leave them then? Seems like everything is dangerous! Hope you are ok now x
  • Probably the first of many bumps and scrapes, glad he is okay,
  • glad hes ok, my eldest fell out of his bouncy chair when he was a baby coz i hadnt strapped him in! Like you i felt awful and i have banged isaacs head on the door frame before when walking in to a room, but i think the best one has to come from my sister, when her lo was 2 months old she was carrying him down stairs and she slipped on a pile of magazines that she had been nagging her hubby to put away for a few days, she slid right the way down and her little boy had carpet burns on his forehead, they took him to casualty and luckily he was fine but the nurses were laughing coz her and hubby were sat at opposite ends of the waiting room glaring at each other.
  • i have lost count of the times i have banged josephs head on the car door/roof, and have dropped him a little way when he was sitting up and he banged his head on the floor and screamed!!!! i have also got false nails at mo as i get married nextweek and i keep scratching him!!! bless poor child!!!! xx
  • ha ha I'm laughing about your false nails - it must be a nightmare looking after a baby with them!!! Have a lovely wedding day x
  • Hi Kate
    All 3 of my boys have rolled off the bed (so you'd have thought I'd have learned image
    With my last one I popped him up to the local hospital as I was off shopping and just wanted him checked out. I was a bit worried as I was there two weeks earlier as my middle son had stuck a bit of lego up his nose.
    Also with my first son, I picked up his bouncer chair by the activity bar and it came away and the bouncer tipped up, luckily lo was strapped in. I must up for the bad mother award.

Vanessa
  • Oh no Vanessa, bless u! -Snice it happened so many people have been telling me their stories! The HV said it had happened to her so I've realised I'm not a terrible mother!