Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Am i over reacting

Me and my ex split when i was pregnant with our second child. Hes now seeing someone else which i dont have a problem with but he told me tonight hes moving in with her. Hes only met this woman 3 times and shes never met my 5 year old son. I was worried it was a bit quick and my son may get jealous cos she has a little boy whos going to be living with them. Im not too worried about my 3 mth old baby as she wont really know whats going on. I mentioned this to him and he went mad, so i said ok nothing to do with me ill leave it, then he went mad saying he wanted my opinion. It seems i cant win! What would u feel about this and should i just say its a good idea to keep the peace?

Replies

• I would say something after all it is your children that are going to be affected by it, it is a difficult subject to tackle and is bound to cause tension so try to stay calm. good luck xx
  • You will have to keep the peace with him in for the sake of the children. Perhaps you could meet up with this woman and her child at a park so that the children can meet on neutral territory and you can see how she interacts with your son. Hopefully it'll put your mind to rest!
  • I think that i would feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea of them living together and your son possibly staying with them when they have only met 3 times, and the fact that she has never met your son. Try asking your ex how he would feel if it was the other way around and it was you and the children who were moving in with some one new. As Hayley and scabbers say its a difficult situation and you need to keep on good terms with your ex for the childrens sakes, but at the same time you know them best and you have to do what you think is right for them. If you meet your ex's new partner with your son and he gets upset etc then you have got to sort out with your ex what happens next but on the other hand your son may like her and like the fact that he will have a new 'playmate' in her son. Good luck and hope everything turns out ok.

[Modified by: kate2007 on August 28, 2007 08:34 PM]
  • you need to make sure that you boy understands their relationship and his place with them. kids are pretty resilient, i'm sure it'll work out fine. good luck!
  • yeh i have asked how he would feel but i get a very agressive 'well id deal with it wouldnt i, it would be cool' even tho i know it wouldnt be. I have managed to calm the situation a little and i think it should be ok, i think the biggest worry i had would that my son would feel left out cos another little boy is living with his daddy. But im sure it will be ok, and i def will be meeting her first. Thanks everyone x
  • When I met my boyfriend he had a 4 year old daughter from his previous relationship. What we did was gradually increase the amount of times she met me and she didn't stay over at ours for a few months (I was as scared as she was to be honest!). I think if you are uncomfrtable you should speak to your ex in a civil manner and explain that him and his new partner should meet with the kids through the day at first before progressing to nights with them. I now have my own baby who is nearly 4 months old and I would hate him to stay overnight with a stranger so I feel for you!
    PS - my step daughter loves her new brother to bits so hopefully things won't be too bad for your older boy. Good luck!
  • Yer well i suggested the same only meeting thru the day and him not staying overnight etc and he agreed that would be a good idea. Hes also going to make him a really nice room just for him so he feels like he has his own space when he does go. Ive talked to him about it and he sort of understands and said he wants to meet her so im happy about that. We shall see