Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

i feel like a mean mummy - poor lo

my 9 week old has woken up with a gunky eye this morning, its all yellow and keeps gluing her eye shut. So i'm bathing it regularly with cooled boiled water but she hates me doing it ! She hates her face being washed anyway but bathing her eye makes her scream so badly and she ends up inconsolable for the next 10-15 minutes ! her little face just screws up and she is so distraught that i end up feeling so mean and rotten !! :\( :cry:

Replies

• My little girl has just had conjunctivitis too, it's awful. She would wake up but not be able to open her eyes because her eyelashes were stuck together.
    We went to the doctors who gave us some eye drops which worked really well, the only other thing you can do is keep bathing her eyes.

My little girl also screamed while i did it, it must be really sore and uncomfortable but unfortunately necessary.
  • Its weird she'll be asleep then just suddenly starting screaming totally out of the blue & for no obvious reason so i'm assuming her eye must be bothering her ??
    Do you think Calpol would help ?
  • Does she wake up when she's screaming? I only ask because my little girl didn't, she sobbed in her sleep it was heartbreaking to watch.
    I think we did give her calpol on occasion when she got really hot or very distressed but as your LO is quite young i'd just check with the doctors.
  • Sometimes she wakes up screaming other times she keeps her eyes closed but seriously thrashes around and screams. Sometimes i can calm her within a few minutes other times it can go on for 15 minutes!!
  • I feel for you, we went through the same thing and it's not nice. I hope her eyes improve soon. x
  • How are you feeding her hun? Only reason I ask is that EBM can work wonders for manky eyes if you bathe them with that instead of water. Something to do with the natural antibodies killing the bacteria. Hope she feels better soon.
    xxx