Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

RUSKS!!!!!!!

Replies

• I disagree that there is nothing to lose by trying it - you could give your baby a 'taste' for sugary things, and make them less inclined to have their normal milk.

Personally I would never ever have given rusks or anything in a bottle (even if I had used bottles lol - mine were all bf lol) - rusks were a no-no for me when weaning as well because of the sugar content.

xx
  • You could say that about fruit, yogart etc.

• And just to add while I am on my soap box. Goodnight milk clearly has a strong market otherwise it wouldnt be so popular off the shelves. So I can see that the 'repliers' disagree with me but for all the mothers reading this too worried to reply as they dont want debate I will write for you! haha

We are not talking about anything dangerous here just a difference of parenting.

Soooooo back to the original OP for those that have tried it, did it work?

• I agree AKA, but you have to be careful - fruit does have sugars in, but they are natural sugars, and the rest of the the fruit is nutritious. They are not the empty calories and refined sugars found in rusks.

The proper baby yoghurts don't have lots of added sugar in them - I know petite filous do lol! But they do also have beneficial calcium in. But you give them yoghurts and fruit as puddings, not added to the bottle!

I know you're sticking up for it because it worked for you, but I'm sorry, I don't think anything but milk or water should be put in a bottle.

Sorry, but that is my opinion, and it is backed up by professionals and the research.

xx
  • Have you ever actually tried formula? I would say it is the sweeteset thing he has in his diet!!!!!!!!!!!!! So saying that giving him a bit of rusk is hardly going to give him a sweet tooth?

• No, I must admit I have never tried formula lol! But you're not arguing that because formula has sugars in it, it is alright to sweeten it with rusk? Really??

Formula is specially balanced and formulated for baby nourishment - you don't need to add anything to it.

Anyway, I have to say I am somewhat surprised to see people arguing 'for' this so passionately - to me it's as old fashioned as dipping a dummy in honey!!!! They used to do that a generation ago too.

Anyway, I've said my piece - the guidelines are there for you - but it is your baby and only you will make the decision what to feed him. Before you try it, though, may be rule out anything else that is causing the night waking first - it could well be teething , as you said you didn't think it was hunger.

xx
  • Tootie, I respect it is your opinion and you respect mine and lets face it everyone loves a good 'ol debate on baby. image

And really we are only talking about rusks here not arsenic, I think the research is prob based on long term useage which I would not recommend at all and can see why it could damage teeth etc.

As I say we did it for 2 weeks and stopped and it helped kick start his daytime routine better. So for short term use I dont think it is as damaging as the reports might suggest.

Everything in moderation xxx

Poor OP!!

Sometimes I would like to force feed certain members of this forum rusks until they turned into one.
  • PTB I don't think that's very nice - I was only giving an opinion and didn't resort to insults.
  • agreed, no one was being nasty or 'shooting down ' the OP, every one was jsut offering opinions and advice in order to help the OP find the best solution for her lo.
  • That probably sounded nastier than I meant it to and I apologise.

It was actually directed at Mrs Setters, who despite the patronising, holier-than-thou (and sometimes downright rude) tone she adopts on this forum I think is actually a very straight-talking lady who gives good advice. I also think she has a sense of humour which is why I put what I put, as a nod to our frequent differences of opinion (and manner of addressing people) but in the belief it wouldn't offend her.

Apologies if I've got this all wrong.
  • Oh, but I beg to differ that no one was shooting down the OP, just as she predicted they would.
  • Sorry Ptb, thought it was directed at me. I kind of just thought I was debating the topic - everyone has their 'things' and this happens to be one of mine. I just don't see any benefit whatsoever in adding anything sugery to the milk - but I don't think I was personally critical of the OP - certainly didn't mean to be! Sometimes the written word sounds curt - even if you didn't mean it to.

Anyhoo, I'm probably in a worse mood than usual myself, as we were meant to go out for the day today - but my ds1 is really poorly image so hubby has gone out with other lo's and left me to be nursemaid (not that I mind that of course - just wish ds wasn't ill!)

:\)
  • Sorry about your DS, Tottie. For what it's worth I wouldn't add a rusk to a bottle either. I just thought the lecturing tone of the thread was unnecessary given the OP asked a specific question - but I certainly didn't help it by commenting!
  • PTB, I would adore to be force fed rusks, I have a (now not so) secret fetish for them. I'm currently in withdrawal as the Asda baby even offer has finished and I no longer have lots of lovely rusks in my cupboard.

I apologise if you thought I was lecturing. I thought I was just offering facts and evidence, backed up with external references. Ah, woe.
  • I have not read all the replies or MrsSetters's references (no time, lol!)

I have also not tried this myself. However, my mum said she was thrilled to bits when I reached 12 weeks old, as she could start putting rusks in my bottles. Apparently it really helped me sleep through.

I didn't choke and I've always been a size 8-10, never had any issues controlling my appetite etc.

So - it's not just an old wives tale. People can and do do it.

xx
  • when i was a student i spent some time with a hv and she said in the 80's they had to run special clinics for all the overweight babies that were being fed rusks in bottles as there were so many and they were so big. Obviously it doesn't effect everyone, but it must have been a big enough problem for there to be extra clinics.
    I wouldn't put rusks or anything other than milk/water in bottles, but as long as you understand the risks then it's your choice
    xxx
  • Personally it is not for me, but the UK is one of the only countries that doesnt recomend this. Here in Italy, and I think Holland, France, Spain and Germany do it to, they sell special rusks to put in bedtime milk. It is well used practice right up to when they give up their bedtime milk.

If you think it might work, then give it a go. If you are sensible (which you obviously are otherwise you wouldn't haves aked the question) and dont shove three in there I cant see the harm. Plus I have seen sugar fee rusks.

Just my thoughts...

Joanna x
  • when i was a student i spent some time with a hv and she said in the 80's they had to run special clinics for all the overweight babies that were being fed rusks in bottles as there were so many and they were so big. Obviously it doesn't effect everyone, but it must have been a big enough problem for there to be extra clinics.

I was a very scrawny baby, so maybe the rusks just helped beef me up to normal size! :\)
  • My mum said me and my sister use to have rusks in our bottles.. me and my sister are skinny rakes and always have been lol.

I think 20/30 years ago everyone did it and im pretty sure obesity is a problem with the newer generations not the generations of 30 years ago BUT i probably still wouldn't do it as i would worry about the sugar making them a bit giddy before bedtime!!

Maybe your little one is teething? xx