Forum home Babies Baby

how long do bottles stay sterile out of steriliser?

how long do bottles stay sterile out of steriliser?

this is a nightmare. with my first i used to just make up the water and powder and add then together as needed. now becasue of the new guidelines i started making up the bottles to putt hem in fridge, but keep forgetting to put them in fridge and find it hard to keep track of how long they been in there.

so now am just going to make each bottle as i need it. so that means sterilising the bottles, and keeping them in cupboard or whatever and then using them as needed, but im not sure how long they stay sterile for once out of the steriliser? the plan is to use the cartons of ready made milk for night feeds so i diont need to get up half hour before he needs fed to make it. at least dutring the day i can plan things a bit better.

my steriliser keeps things sterile for 3 hours, but he feeds every 3 hours so does that mean i can only sterilise one bottle at a time? im so confused!!!!! (and its my second which makes it worse!)
xx

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10715;107/st/20080602/n/Ethan/dt/5/k/c0fb/age.png

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10723;95/st/20041006/n/Elise/dt/5/k/ba2a/age.png

Replies

• I sterilise 4 bottles at a time fill them with boiled water and keep them in the fridge till I need then I add a couple of oz's of boiling water to heat it and add the powder. For me its the easiest way and the sterilizing is to kill any bacteria the milk has left behind so surely if the bacteria is dead its dead.
  • Its all so confusing isnt it??

I use cold water steriliser using milton. What I do (not sure if this will help your predicament though?), is wash and sterilise say 6 bottles in the solution, once sterile, pour in the cooled-boiled water in the bottles, put teats and lids on immediately and leave out at room temp. I then add the powder to the water at feed time. My lo will take milk at room temp but sometimes I do heat it up a little either by putting in a jug of hot water or adding a couple of oz of fresh boiled water into the bottle to bring up to a warmer temp.

I think once you have sterilised your bottles (whichever method you are using) and add cooled-boiled water and put lids on straight away they should remain sterile as no bacteria can get into them as they should be airtight. this is what i understand anyway.

I think its crazy that we are now told to make up a feed fresh each time as by the time the kettle has boiled, cooled down etc. our baby's will be screaming with hunger - especially for night feeds!

Hope this helps a little.

xx

• i've been told that that if steam sterlised (this might be same for other methods too) if can be filled with freshly boiled water, teats and lids back on and kept safe/sterile for 24hours and can be left on the side.

(although i'm REALLY naughty i make all mine up for the following day each night before bed and fridged AND microwed to heat up!) he's 7 months old and doing just fine i did try the other way making up as i go along and putting water in but couldnt get on with those methods.

For night time
    - i know many mums (inc myself) that take to bed with them a bottle filled with water and the powder in a seperate pot (like the avent one of the tommee tippee individual ones) and just make it up right there in the nursery and within a minute baby can have its feed.
  • I do the same as KimW08 - we put the cooled boiled water in bottles in morning and leave out at room temp and then add powder as needed - it seems to work x
  • i do the same fill your sterile bottles wityh boiled water and they will stay sterile for 24 hours. My sterilizer says things will stay sterile for 6 hours if you dont take lid off sterilizer this is becouse there is holes in it. if you make your bottles up and put lids on they are ok for 24 hours. i then add powder as i need it or i add an extra ounce of freshly boliled water too this heats the milk up to a nice tempreture i dont make feeds up and refridgerate them though as im a bit of a worrier and once im told not to do anything i dont. Alos if you stand your bottle in jug of water it only take 2 mins to warm if your water is at room tempreture, its when the milk is chilled in fridge it takes longer to heat the milk up.
  • I struggled with this at first also. However now sterilise 3 sets of bottles from morning ,afternoon and before bed. I store them in my cupboard just after my Tommee Tippee steriliser finishes.I ensure they are used within 12 hrs. Tommee tippee says 24hrs.I also boil a kettle 3 times a day and put it in a thermo 24 hr flask. I use fresh feeds, using the flask water and add the scoops after. So that im not boiling the kettle 10 times a day! The water is always hot with the thermo flask. I fill the flask and pre measure the scoops into the tippee powder holders when going to bed. I chill the bottle down with a cold jug of water. Usually correct temperature after changing the nappy. When out and about I bring a fresh small flask and pre measured scoops and a sterile bottle.Its easy to fill any where. If not needed immediately,I let it cool naturally. Other wise if in a restaurant I ask for a cold water jug. I have found that they cool quicker than having to heat a cold bottle. Plus it can be heated once again if too cold and not consumed within the hour. A midwife said that its the best method she has seen. It ensures that feeds are fresh using a sterile bottle and the hot water sterilises the feed too. Im on my forth child and did it old school for the first 2. I can honestly say its easier this way. It always took forever to warm a cold bottle. If you think of how cold your tea can get naturally in 10mins, you can see what I mean.