Forum home Babies Baby

Keepsake Box

Does anyone have one of these and if so what do you put in them?

I want to make Kady one and was thinking of filling it with things like first cards (birthday, xmas, mothers/fathers day etc) and first tooth, hair cutting etc but thought of keep adding to it over the years so would put things like first picture he drew and school reports etc along with pictures of him growing up. Only thjing is, is will probably need a bloody big box lol.
Thought it would make a nice gift for him when he's older, old enough to appreciate it anyway.
Anyone else doing anything like this?

Replies

• I am! I have his cord, the tape measure which he was 1st measured by, 1st bottle, cards from when he was 1st born, first babygrow + mits+vest, the tag that went on his cot at the hospital, the wristband he was wearing when 1st born at hospital, mother's day and father's day cards and I will keep adding to it over the years! I think its a really good idea. Keep it up and it will be a really special keepsake!
  • Oh that's a good idea, didn't think of first babygrow and that. Where did you get your box or did you make it yourself?
  • i've used a big gift bag that he received when born and put in his tags and cards, lil outfit etc into.
    the things like pictures and school stuff that my ds1 has done i'm saving in a different box. (btw is a nappy box which 'could' be decorated)
    i suppose as they get older i'll get all the stuff together and organise it into a lovely collection of memories... for me not him LOL although i'm sure he'll be interested too!image
  • I have used a big shoebox which I have decorated with pictures of him and other bits and bobs.
  • i have got a big pink box and put everything in it. think i'm gonna end up needing a few boxes at this rate!!! lol
    so far its all the stuff from when she was born and her 1st birthday, all cards and stuff from throughout the year like entrance tickets and stuff from 1st trips to different places, 1st painting, photos, newpapers from the day she was born and her 1st bday, etc...
    i have also made a little book with photos and details of all of her baby friends from my aquanatal class and postnatal group. so if we ever lose touch with them she has still got that to remember them by.
    its probably more for me coz i can't bear throwing anything...but i think and hope she'll appreciate it when she's older.
    xxx
  • I am doing something like this.. I have written a letter of how me and his Daddy fell in love.. how much he was wanted.. will put photo's hospital band.. a list of names he could have been lol.. not sure what else yet.. but thinking more thoughts rather than material things lol cause i'll end up with first bike as well as a first tooth lol..
  • hi i have done this for both of mine and have also wrote a week to week sometimes month to month diary with all the lastest things they have been doing that week , first teeth ,first steps ,first day at play school and keep putting little bits in the box s of photos , star of the week awards from pre school and all the sily bits us mums love!
  • I too have done one of these, I bought my box in Mamas and Papas but you can get nice boxes in AU Naturale pink and blue.

I have just done what most of the rest of the ppl have said they've done, I've also got a little notebook where I have wrote what my little girl has been up to in the week!

Its a great idea I would recommed it to anyone, something I wish my own mother would have done for me!

xx
  • I've been doing one too. I was given a pine box and I decorated it and put 'Madison' in wooden alphabet letters that have animals on them (You can get them from the Studio Catalogue). I've added all the usual things and I want to put her first drawings in, stuff like that, as she grows up. My plan is to present it to her on her 18th
  • AW since reading this i have all the bits i was keeping in a drawer into a big blue gift bag(for now)i have some jumpers my mum knitted for Benji when he was first born,his hospital tag and arm band,card i received from work when i left to go on maternity,Benjis first Xmas cards,and my Mothers day card,I also have a baby book that you record all the firsts and put pictures in,so when thats finished i will add that,and keep adding to it over the years!the plan to give it to them on their 18th like d1ydiva said is a great idea!im just wondering if boys will like it the same as girls.i know if my mum had done something like that for me i would of loved it and probably still have it all now lol..but do you think boys appreaciate things like this the same?!?!anyway i really think the keep sake boxes are for us moms if not more than for the children lol!!!!!!!!!!!
  • my plan is to give it to mine on the day they become parents themselves(hopefully)
  • Oh i've got loads of things of Harry's now. I found a blue box in the attic which isn't very big but it'll do for now. I've got cards from his birth and christening, name tags, the first babygro, his 'going home' outfit, some keepsake things etc. I can't decide when i'll give it to him.. at 18 he might not appreciate it but its sort of a 'done' thing to do in our family. I might wait til he;s a daddy like faith&finley. it seems a perfect time X
  • i have a gold shiny gift box. i put in there
    tags from hosptial cot, ankle tags from hospital, all the cars we recieved when he was born and his first xmas cards that he got as he was born 4 days before xmas. i also wrote him a letter about the day he was born and put it in there, cant remember what else.....a few other bits xxx
  • Thanks for the ideas, i'm really excited about getting his stuff together now.
    I really like the idea of writing him a letter or doing a diary, that's really sweet.
    Think giving it to him when he has children or as a wedding day gift will be nice, not sure if he'll appreciate when he's 18 or 21...might think it's a bit soppy lol.
  • Yea I think its different for a girl at that age - she'll really appreciate it but an 18 yr old lad probably would think it was soppy.

I've got all the cards from Max's birth, his ankle tags, first baby gro. Also hand and footprints we had done when he was really tiny!

Good idea to give it to him when he's a daddy, too. So could be another 30 odd years yet! I don't know if I can wait that long!

I think if I give it to him on his 18th, it'll have to be when he's on his own. Surrounded by mates, he'll probably laugh in my face! :roll:
  • I will probably keep it till he has a baby himself, then he can compare his handprints and footprints with his baby's, or just save it to show it to his children when theyr'e older. I am undecided :-S