Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What's your opinion on this?

2»

Replies

• Hi

I'm totally inconsistent with this - would never leave child in car in petrol stn but live in quiet cul de sac and we all leave our sleeping lo's in car and older kids know to keep an eye on to check if anyone wakes if they are playing out and we leave house front door open - but in summer / cold I tend to stay in car and listen to radio or wake to bring them in cos worry about the temp.
  • No way!!!!! And my car is on the drive right by my living room window. I have left her in the car once while I paid for petrol because she was asleep and I could see the car and no queue.....but I wont be doing it again after reading what chuffedbaby 2 has written!

As well as safety, the temperature and air in the car would worry me - that it would get either too cold or too hot and there would be no air circulating. your not supposed to leave a dog in the car - certainly not a baby!

• I don't think I'd do this myself, but I wouldn't be shocked if others did (depending on area, how secluded drive is, how close to house car is, etc.)

For me, LO would have to be in earshot as well as easy to see, so I might well leave her sleeping in her buggy in the back garden in summer, with the patio doors open.
  • No I wouldn't do this either but I know of some people who do. If Kara is sleeping when I get to the house I carry her in and lie her in the pram and she usually stays asleep. If she wakes she wakes and thats it. I have though parked my car at the doctor's door and ran in for a prescription but I can see my car and her from the reception desk and whist the girl is getting my script I watch the car. I am quite paranoid about this and keep thinking what happens if my car goes on fire etc and she is trapped. It i left Kara in the car outside the house I could see her as my car is outside my living room window but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. My friend called one day and left one of her twins in the car outside my house. I was forever looking out making sure he was ok. She said if she lifted him he would wake,
  • personaly no i wouldnt
    but my sister inlaw did but she only did it at her house and my parents, at her house she was half a mile of the main road and nearest house, and my parents house was half a mile of the main road and a mile and a half from the next house.
    She also kept the window open a bit so baby didnt over heat as babies have died due to over heating in cars x