Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

GC from pregnancy, advice on placental delivery please!

Morning ladies,
Hope you don't mind me GC but I thought you would be the ladies to ask as you have been through it!
I am writing my birth plan and am a bit stumped on whether to have an assisted placental delivery or just let nature take its course. We have been through the +ve's and -ve's in our NCT class, but I am still undecided.
Any advice or opinions very welcome!
Thanks,
Lilou x
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo126/augustffblinkies/m7.jpg

Replies

• Both my mum and my sister had retained placentas after delivering their first babies so I opted for the injection. I was so taken with my new baby that I didn't even notice it happening. The placenta was out and dealt with before I knew it. I am planning to do the same again this time.
  • I had to have the injection as I tore quite badly and they needed to get me stitched up ASAP. I didn't mind though. I didn't notice the injection and the placenta delivery wasn't painful. I did have an epidural tho I guess... but it just slipped and slithered out like Toby did! I was exhausted by then so the thought of pushing something else out? clear off!!! LOL
    Good luck!!!!!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • I also had to be stitched asap so I was given the injection straight away so they could get on with it. I didn't even know I had delivered the placenta to be honest, which suited me just fine as I was getting to know our new baby girl up the other end! I will probably opt for it again next time.

Just out of interest, what ARE the cons of having it? During our antenatal classes it was sort of presented as one of those things that was just given routinely, there wasn't really any mention of being left to deliver it naturally. The injection of vit K for baby was also presented like this. I was aware there were options in both cases, but it just seemed like the most straightforward and accepted route to accept both the injections.
  • Just out of interest, what ARE the cons of having it? During our antenatal classes it was sort of presented as one of those things that was just given routinely, there wasn't really any mention of being left to deliver it naturally. The injection of vit K for baby was also presented like this. I was aware there were options in both cases, but it just seemed like the most straightforward and accepted route to accept both the injections.

WSS!

I was so wrapped up in meeting my new baby i didnt even give it a 2nd thought, ive had it with all 3 of mine...and will again with no4 x
  • Hey Lilou,

I had natural delivery. We wanted to wait for the cord to finish pulsing before cutting (as per NCT tutors advice) and thought we might as well try for natural placenta delivery too.

It took almost an hour but I didn't care as I had baby then and was distracted by that. The MW's said I could have the injection at any point if I got tired of waiting but after I'd waited 30 mins I thought I might as well carry on! It was a bit painful tbh as you carry on having light, irregular contractions for a while and it did mean it dragged things out longer but I would probably go for it again next time.
    I have a major being sick phobia and have heard the injection can make some people feel sick so that put me off it as well!

• Whichever one you choose to write in your birth plan, remember you can change your mind once you've had your baby. If I'd had the natural waterbirth I'd 'planned' I might have gone for natural delivery but to be honest, by the time Sam had come out (after lots of drama and intervention) I was desperate for the whole thing to be over with!

xxx
  • I had the injections, but no one actually asked me if I wanted it. Must say I did not have a chance on going to antenatal classes, cause I gave birth premature. It was quite funny because I kinda had to push as well, but it was not painfull. Midwife was just surprised with the size of it :P

I did not had baby in the room when I delivered the placenta, cause they took him to SCBU for a check up, so I knew what was happening, but to be honest it was so quick and easy compared to the rest of it.
  • i had the injection but as it had a prem birth i wasnt asked. after a had a cuddle with dd we waited for the placenta. i had to give a little push as it was taking its times (20mins). i was aware as dd had gone down to scbu so i knew what was going on but it wasnt painful at all and didnt feel it come out at all
  • hi i had a major dilemma over this too as i wanted cord to stop pulsating etc too so we put into birth plan no injection unless deemed necessray knowing i could change mind if nec - again as mentioned before i have a being sick phobia and had heard it can really make you ill as its quite a large does of hormone. when it came to it i had my homebirth with just gas and air and then the placenta 'popped' out 2 mins after - in fact i doubt it took that long really - hubby agrees - midwife did apporach at one point and say i think you might need inj as your bleeding quite badly and got it ready but before she could administer it, placenta arrived - i remember saying 'is that it?' and laughing - midwife laughed too and said, yep no bones in that - quite easy lol!!

good luck
    j xxx
  • I did have the injection as it was taking a while for the placenta to deliver and the midwives were getting a bit worried as I did need some stitches (nothing urgent, though). Having had a relatively quick and easy delivery, I found delivering the placenta the most uncomfortable (even painful) aspect of the whole experience. (Turns out I had a rather large placenta, hence the problems.) So I would say go for it, but that is based on my experience and every birth is different.

Good luck. I hope your birth is a positive one.
  • I had planned for a natural delivery of the placenta as we had a homebirth using only hypnobirthing and a birthing pool.
    We wrote that in our birth plan too but when it came to it Id been pushing for almost 2 hours so the midwife explained she was just going to give me the injection and I delivered the placenta within 5 minutes.
    Think the main cons with the jab is the side effects of it and we liked the idea of leaving the cord to finish pulsating but again cause Id been pushing for so long and the MW was worried about my bleeding Hubby cu the cord straight away.

You can put it in your birth plan and then like coco says if you change your mind at the time it doesnt matter. I agonised over the decision but then in the grand scheme of things, on the day it didnt really figure at the time!xx
  • I had put in my birth plan no assisted third stage and no vit k for baby unless either were necessary. As it turned out both were! My second stage was 4 hours so baby had been pushed against my pelvis for a long time and had forceps in the end so I did want the vit k. The placenta though they didn't ask me just gave me the injection as I had a bad tear like some of the other girls on here and they wanted to get me down to theatre asap for stitches. I wasn't aware of the injection or delivering it and I hadn't had any drugs! Even with the injection and cord cut immediately (which is the bit i wanted to avoid - wanted to let it finish pulsating but hey ho), it still took 20 minutes to come out!
    As with all things labour & birth and even baby related, my advice is to make an informed choice about your preferences, but acknowledge that it might all go out the window when the time comes!
  • Hi
    Thank you all for your replies.
    Pink Toothbrush: I think the main advantage to not having the injection is you have no side effets from the drug (can cause nausea and vomiting), syntometrine can cause a rise in the mothers blood pressure and due to the cord being clamped and cut after birth, baby has slightly cold, blue hands and feet because they don't benefit from the extra oxygenated blood from the placenta that would still be pulsing.

I think I will put in my birth plan that I would like to try for a natural delivery of the placenta unless I am exhausted or the contractions are too uncomfortable. I plan to have skin to skin contact and breast feed so hopefully these will speed up the process a bit and I will be distracted. At least then I have the option of having the injection to fall back on.
    Thanks again ladies! You have been very helpful, it's always great to hear from people that have been through it.
    Lilou x
    http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo126/augustffblinkies/m7.jpg

• Lilou - you can always wait for the cord to finish pulsing and then have injection straight after that. (about 15 mins I think) The main advantage we were told at NCT was they don't get anaemic early on because of the extra cord blood they get.

Once baby is in your arms you honestly won't notice that 15 min wait!

• I had a natural delivery and my placenta literally fell out as soon as Seth came out!! Was gonna have the injection but didnt need it!! Didnt feel it coming out was to busy cuddleing Seth and MW said oh and heres the placenta.....gosh theres a stones worth of it there!!
    Sxx
  • I had the injection with my first, but that was such a crappy birth it needed to be out quick so they could start stiching me up. 2nd time round I had a natural birth, and had put in my birth plan I wanted to wait for the cord to stop pulstating before being cut. Barney latched on to feed almost imeadiately so I'm not sure how long it took, but after the cord was cut I delivered the placenta naturally. I was feeding Barney the whole time (little piglet fed for an hour) so tbh I didn't even really notice when I delivered the placenta.
    xx
  • Hi

I have done it both ways. With my first I planned to deliver the placenta naturally but ended up having the injection. I can't remember why but the MW recommended me too. She waited for the cord to stop pulsing before cutting it and then gave me the injection. I had no side effects myself and because we waited until the cord had stopped pulsating before cutting it the baby still got the benefits from that.

Second time round I had a natural homebirth and so decided not to have the injection. Again we waited for the cord to stop pulsating until it was cut and then we waited a long time for me to deliver the placenta. We had skin to skin, I BF etc etc we also tried some homeopathic medicine, it just seemed to take for ever. We then had to try gravity and pushing so I sat on the loo for a while.

I found it did interfere a little as there was the whole 'is it coming out, when's it coming out - I hope I don't have to go into hospital' feeling and I would rather have just been concentrating on my baby. For me I couldn't see that there were actually any additional benefits or for the baby as both times we waited for the cord to stop pulsating before cutting it. Personally, if there is a next time I will opt to have the injection.