Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

**Baby Sleep Problems WEBCHAT**

2»

Replies

• hi ashaikai ,
    You obviously need to tackle this now before the new baby arrives .Set up a star chart and explain that each night he stays in his bed he will get a sticker and then when he has 4 he will get a treat .You must keep going on about it and tell everyone !!!It has to be an exciting event . then explain to him that he has to stay in bed or you will have to close the door .When he gets out of bed ,put him straight back and close the door for a minute then open it and say that you will leave it open if he stays in his bed .This will take time and patience and you and yur husband have to do exactly the same thing ! It will take about a week to sort out ,as long as you stick to it .Once he stays in his bed -even if he gets up in the night make a big fuss .
  • thank you Jo Tantum xxx
  • Hi Jo. unfortunately I am breast feeding so watering down his feed isn't really an option! My little girl doesn't worry at all about his crying but obviously it disturbs her sleep meaning she is terribly miserable the next day (she is only 2 1/2)
  • Hi joey8 ,I think yourbaby is overtired at 8.30! which is why she can't fall asleep even though she is exhausted! so start her bedtime at 7-7.30 ,most overtired babies find it difficult to go into a deep sleep so wake often in the night .Make sure she is in a good feeding routine and having an hour nap in the morning ,2 hours at luchtime and evn another 20-30 mins around 4.30-5pm .This should stop the night wakes .
  • Hi

My baby is 19 days old and we are really struggling to get him to sleep at night. We have tried all the methods-swaddling etc but nothing seems to work. last night he finally went to sleep at 1am after being almost non stop fed since 6 and fed continuously for an hour and a half from 1.30. he then slept 4 hours but usually he wakes every hour or so and wants to be fed for up to an hour with it taking up to an hour to resettle him, often requiring him to be fed again. it doesn't seem to make any difference how much he sleeps in the day. Also when we put him down he often seems to be struggling to breathe-sort of gagging. Any advice much appreciated as so exhausted from lack of sleep and constant feeding
  • hey,

I might be too late and havn't read the other q's yet but.....

louise sleeps well at night, can settle herself to sleep and we hear her wake up and settle herself again during the night. BUT, she wont settle herself in the cot during the day. She has to be cuddled to sleep and then may or may not let me put her in her cot. (this is progress from breastfeeding to sleep). Any tips/ideas to help me get her to sleep in her cot during the day? She is 7 months.

thanks

lisa
  • Hi, My lo has slept thro the night since 3 months old but now all of a sudden he keeps waking. He has got a little better recently and goes to bed between 6.30 and 7. He will either wake after 30 mins or 4-5 hours later and normally goes back off if we cuddlehim. He has now started waking at 5.30am and I am exhausted. HE just wants to play.... no matter what time I put him to bed he is always up at 5.30am now. He only has 2x 30 mins naps in the day even though sometimes I feel he wants longer he just wont!!

He is 8 months today.

[Modified by: Spritefm on February 23, 2009 12:53 PM]

• hi rainbow shoes ,the pupd method only works for some babies and as they get older they get wiser .they will get cross with you when you put them back in the cot ,it is teasing them -i will give you a cuddle and now your going back in .Use my technique-spaced soothing .this teaches your baby genlty that he will be soothed when he is upset but also gives him the confidence to fall asleep on his own .Also the dummy won't help ,so try and get rid if you can .When he cries leave him for 5 mins then listen for quiet gaps in the crying thsi is him trying to fall asleep .when he needs soothing go in put your hand on hios chest and sssssh ,also stroke his nose ,do this for 1-2 mins then leave the room .continue this until he falls aslep .be consistent and do the same in the day and he will learn how to fall asleep on his own .
  • hi sophy ,
    is your baby on a routine ? Try and put him in a 3 hourly routine ,he will be tired after about 1-1and a quarter hors ,make sure he can fall asleep on his own by looking for tired signs and then putting him ,swaddled in the nursery for sleeps .Use spaced soothing leave him alone and listen to his cries wait 1, min before going in ,stay in the room for 1-2 mins sssshh him -try not to pick up .then leave it 2 mins before going in .3 mins then 4 mins then 5 mins .do the same thing each time .Often when babies are over stimulated they cannot switch off .so he needs quiet time .Only feed him when it his feed time otherwise he will get wind and be unhappy !!
  • Hi everyone thankyou so much for all your questions I do hope that I have helped .For the people I haven't managed to get to I will endevour to reply in the next couple of days .If you need extra help I offer email advice which helps you and supports you until your problem is solved and I also do a 'Rescue Package where I come to your house and get your baby sleeping!Just log onto my website www.babysecretsltd.com
    Best Wishes
    Jo xx